mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cheap slicks for my MTB?

Hey, I am riding a Kona Five-o Deluxe with Maxxis Minion 2.35" tires right now. I am planning a pretty long bike trip which will total about 7 hours of Highway riding (130km). I would like to get some tires better suited for the trip then the big knobby tires I have now. I mostly trail ride and don't commute a lot, so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Are any of these going to be worth a purchase? I would like to keep it under $40 for a pair. Also, forgive my lack of knowledge but will I need smaller tubes as well?

1 Pair OF Slick Tyres Tires W RED Sidewall 26 X 1 95 | eBay

Nutrak MTB Slick Road Cycle Bike Tires Pair Black 26 X 1 75 XC MTB AM | eBay

Nutrak 26 X 2 0 Semi Slick Black Cycling MTB XC Bike Tyre | eBay

I'm thinking the 1.75" slicks would be the best for speed and they are also the cheaper option. Would a bit of light gravel riding be totally out of the question on these tires? There is a chunk of railroad section I would like to bike on, so some gravel road use would be nice but not totally necessary.

mtbr member
    I never heard of those, but I use these in the 1.75" on pavement and dirt roads. Over your budget though at $33 each:
    Universal Cycles -- Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard Tire

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nashbar Streetwise are probably some of the cheapest you will find. If you keep your eye out they offer free shipping on Nashbar tires & tubes a lot of times. Not sure about shipping to Canada.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the help! I found a pair of Nashbars shipped to Canada for $42.

So can these be lightly used on some gravel roads if I'm just riding in a straight line? Some gravel sections that I would like to ride but I don't want to get a flat or something.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The streetwise are pretty lightweight and meant for the street. I'm sure you can ride them on gravel but they are kind of wimpy. I see that they do have a Kevlar belted version that might be better. There are other slicks that do great on gravel and even off-road but they cost more and weigh more.

mtbr member

Re: Cheap slicks for my MTB?

Not pure slicks but I like the 1.95 kenda k-rads. Bike tires direct usually has em for $17 apiece or so.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.