Fat-tired Roadie

Cheap running lights

I was at school a little longer than expected and the weather sucks, leading me to ride home in dimness and rain. I'm thinking I'd like to stick some lights on my bike that are cheap enough to just leave on it full-time and tamper resistant, maybe with the addition of a zip tie or something. Basically something that's unlikely to walk away, but I won't be too bummed out if it does. Like $5 each?

Anyone using something like this and happy with it? When I'm not being a moron, I'd still have a full-powered headlight and rear blinker.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, you may be nuts, but for $5 what do you have to lose? I haven't used these on the bike but they are good - much longer battery life (150 hrs) than other disposable flashlights. Supposedly used by firefighters on their helmets.
    Ace 43-1402 Disposable LED Flashlight Assorted Super Bright Colors

If nothing else it will be a good backup for the bike or car.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm seeing that, my fork, a bunch of duct tape. I'll have to pop into my local hardware store and see if they've got them in stock.

Moderator Moderator
    There is a similar non-LED version that seems to be more commonly stocked, but the battery life on those, and probably the brightness, are wimpy, so check the label carefully!

mtbr member
    Why not buy something that can easily clip on and off for a.little more and will light your way?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I already have a good head light. I just didn't have it with me. I've been known to make mistakes and since this is a safety issue, I figure a little redundancy is a good thing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I already have a good head light. I just didn't have it with me. I've been known to make mistakes and since this is a safety issue, I figure a little redundancy is a good thing.
    Well it wouldn't have been redunant then....

Seriously, brother smacked a car this summer head on at about 15 km/h each....he didn't have his blinker, headlight whatever.....

So he gets to pay for the bent frame....

I ride without lights in the summer (daylight from 5:30 am to 10:30 pm)...if I have to get home after dark I will take a cab or something else...or bring a light...

Winter I ride with 3 lights, (daylight from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)...1 helmet light, 1 bar headlight, and 1 rear blinker....

Not redundant cause the batteries die frequently when cold...

Point covering contingencies is not redundant it is just smart.

mtbr member
    I've got a Tri-led Sigma that I've had for years, I think it cost $19 w/ the taillight. Not a great light by any means, but works fine in a pinch. It serves more to help me be seen than help me see, but I have ridden with it in complete darkness a few times, and it got me by. I just leave it on the bike, no worries about anyone stealing it.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I saw these at REI the other day. They are a little more than $5 but maybe what you are looking for.

Planet Bike Spok Light Set - Free Shipping at REI.com

Fat-tired Roadie
    I went out and bought something very similar to what mtbexplorer suggested.

So far, it's stayed on my bike. I did find myself having some second thoughts about the Spok, but I decided that having one thing that needs to be removed for competition stuck to my helmet is enough. I always have a little red blinker on it, and I just leave it on unless I have a specific reason to remove it.

Doing a quick Google search for the Sigma, it fails a few of the goals I had. It's too expensive, and it takes some of the real estate I need for my real light when I don't forget it. (Ironically, I've been better at remembering the real one since taping the disposable flashlight to my head tube. Go figure.)