Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cheap light

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

cheap light

so my magicshine quit working out of the blue last night as i pulled out of work which left me only a cheap head lamp to ride home... not fun. The roads around here are awful and i was dodging potholes for 12 miles. I dont have much or any money right now to buy a replacement since i just purchased a new bike (salsa fargo). Any suggestion on a cheap replacement until i get the warranty situation worked out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

mtbr member
    Probably do alright short term, just remember that the lumen rating is most likely exaggerated.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Probably do alright short term, just remember that the lumen rating is most likely exaggerated.
    i ordered it. its not too expensive and should last until i can navigate the magicshine warranty. what a headache.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Report back, I'm finding myself wanting one. I'd like to know how the head mount strap is.

weirdo
    I love the translation on the product description:
    >1.Constant pressure current, from beginning to end all the same high brightness, has no electricity from will put off, and not like a step-down circuit as can slowly going down.<
    Huh?

Comedy aside, it looks like a worthwile gamble to me too. Hope it does a good job for you.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I ended up ordering the 1600 lumen head mounted version, had to. It was the description that got me. Actually it is that my bike light is so good that I sometimes wear my helmet to use the light attached, like working on the car. Having a good head mounted light seems like a good idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I love the translation on the product description:
    >1.Constant pressure current, from beginning to end all the same high brightness, has no electricity from will put off, and not like a step-down circuit as can slowly going down.<
    Huh?

Comedy aside, it looks like a worthwhile gamble to me too. Hope it does a good job for you.
    Part of that means it uses a constant current driver rather than a step down driver. So you have the same max output from fresh battery to the battery cutoff. Hope it has warning flashes as battery voltage drops and good battery cutoff circuits. Mine do.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ... Actually it is that my bike light is so good that I sometimes wear my helmet to use the light attached, like working on the car. Having a good head mounted light seems like a good idea.
    I use mine in the 'attic' and I ordered a headband so I don't have to wear the helmet.

BrianMc

jrm
    mtbr member

What about repairing the MagicShine?

I would think it would be cheaper then replacing it. Just take the time to diagnose exactly what "went" and replace it.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    magic shine has been returned but its going to take some time to get another one. I needed a cheap light so that i can continue to ride home from work and not kill myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How about one of those less expensive usb charged lights ? They look like a great back up or temp light. I see them on Amazon and Nashbar in the $50 - 60 range. Just a thought, prob not the best choice for every day use..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    now that amazon accepted my return any suggestions on a new light under 150? I like the mj816 because of the floods which come in helpful on large bike paths at night but im open to anything.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    For $75 the Niterider Lumina (350) is a heck of a light. I have the Pro 600 (previous version) which I run on medium most of the time. Or you could jump right to the Lumina 650 but that is getting out of the "cheap" range but does come with the helmet mount for a really nice backup light if your main light craps out or the battery dies.

My cheap 1600 lumen headlamp should be on my doorstep.

mtbr member
    get a Solarforce L2 and find a way to strap it on your bike. I have had mine (two of them) for about a year and I use them every day for everything. Welcome to Solarforce -

mtbr member

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I ended up ordering the 1600 lumen head mounted version, had to. It was the description that got me. Actually it is that my bike light is so good that I sometimes wear my helmet to use the light attached, like working on the car. Having a good head mounted light seems like a good idea.
    I got this light in and for $35 the light output is amazing. Quality isn't the cheapest Chinese junk but the quality is indicative of it's price. This one isn't the bike specific light but I'd guess it is similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    anyone got a recommendation on a light with a nice wide beam. this cheappy i got is nice but it only lights up a small spot. i would give up some brightness if i could get a wider area. thanks.

mtbr member
    Have you looked here?

2012 Bike Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

As far as cheap and bright goes the MagicShines have that. Reliability? Not so much. Some have used amber 'snoots', a tube around the bezel to tame the side spill a bit for the road. Check out the lights forum for beamshots.

If you are handy, check the DIY forum to make your own. It will cost more than the magicshine but you determine the quality.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    anyone got a recommendation on a light with a nice wide beam. this cheappy i got is nice but it only lights up a small spot. i would give up some brightness if i could get a wider area. thanks.
    You could just get a lens for your cheapie light.

Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens
    Amazon.com: Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight: Sports & Outdoors (same company, but through Amazon)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    I have that exact same light, only I bought mine off E-Bay for just about the same price. It is very bright, probably not quite 1200 lumens, but it is shockingly bright. Mine is on all the time, in daytime I have it on low strobe pointed a little more to the ground. In broad daylight, on low strobe I can see it flashing off street signs a block away. It's a ridiculously bright little bugger.

At night on full brightness you have no worries. I think I have a cell going out in the battery pack, but you can very easily build your own pack or buy replacements.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    The single problem I have with the light is the battery indicator. When charged the power on/off switch glows green showing full charge. It's supposed to change to amber when the battery is close to dying. It doesn't, the light just shuts off. I am going to buy or build another battery pack as it has left me with no light at night unexpectedly in 1,300 miles riding.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    This makes a nice present

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I ordered one, gonna try it as a backup/loaner light.... We will see?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    REI has the lumina 650 on sale for about $ 100.00.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    this works perfect on the clone i purchased. thanks for saving me some money

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast