jrm
    mtbr member

Change route after confrontation?

Got in a confrontation with a guy after he couldnt get in front of me (in a class II bike lane) approaching an intersection to make a right turn. The dirver guy started swearing and well i swore back.

Anyway this is took place on the same route ive been riding for some time and im kinda worried that this tool will seek retribution should our paths cross again. What do you think..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Cheezy Rider
    That sucks. If it's easy to change your route, I'd consider it. If the guy's mental enough to be upset about a right turn, no telling what he might do. Give him a week to chill.

I Ride for Donuts
    I wouldn't change my route. Stay within the law and get his plate number.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    I have to agree with commuterboy here. You didn't do anything wrong. If you give a wide berth to people who can't follow simple traffic laws, you're just encouraging their behavior.

If you're still worried about it though, then think of it this way; a change in route may very well spice up your commute and you might even enjoy your new route more!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Wear a different helmet and sunglasses. All you bike jerks look alike.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    I've only gotten in one serious confrontation commuting so far (7 years and counting). I was crowded by a car which was trying to enter a parking lot at the same time as me. I stopped and yelled for a while at the guy's closed windows where he parked--he didn't roll them down but did shout back. I couldn't hear what he was saying and I doubt he could hear me.

Ran into him in the same spot a few days later and went up to him and apologized for yelling explaining that he had really frightened and endangered me and he apologized too. We ended up shaking hands and waving when we passed for quite a while after.

My point is, the guy reacted out of proportion to your "offense," and shocked you into losing your temper, too. It probably had more to do with his mood or situation than with you. Shrug it off and ride on. If you run into him again, try saying something "sorry for losing my temper the other day--I understand you were probably in a hurry, but there really wasn't any way for me to safely let you by in that situation. See what he says. You can always go back to swappin' cuss words if that doesn't work out.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Got in a confrontation with a guy after he couldnt get in front of me (in a class II bike lane) approaching an intersection to make a right turn. The dirver guy started swearing and well i swore back.

Anyway this is took place on the same route ive been riding for some time and im kinda worried that this tool will seek retribution should our paths cross again. What do you think..
    I don't know any of you guys, and hardly ever come into this forum, but that is a pretty cowardly question.

What do expect him to do? Hunt you down and run you over? Its highly likely you were just a blip on a two wheeled thing. Even if he does confront you again, stand your ground! It's just as much your right to be there as it is his... If anything, he was in the wrong.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    I
    What do expect him to do?
    I know a few people that have had beer cans tossed at them from moving cars. Hurts like hell if they happen to be full. A guy in my town was run off the road by a car a couple days ago. The world is full of jerks, and lots of them have drivers licenses.

Probably nothing will happen, but if it's easy to change your route for a couple days, why tempt fate? Now if you have to go two miles out of your way, screw it. I have no problem confronting a driver face to face, but I keep it civil. Once the name calling starts, everyone loses. And the guy on the bike has the most to lose.

mtbr member
    carry your lock over your handle bar, and if the guy wants another confrontation, least you've an instant cosh should the need arise, i'd use that as a last resort though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Lock on handlebars is a great suggestion.
    I do it.
    I have had many confrontations and used to worry about revenge stupidity from the driver.
    If it's bad enough, I will immediately ride cross the street and ride facing traffic so if he wants to come after me he will have to work at it.
    but, try to put a face and vehicle description to the last guy who cut you off when you were driving.
    Cant do it right?
    Same for the driver who hassled you.

mtbr member
    First of all, I would not advise violence. As funny as many of those stories of revenge are, cyclists are counting on the fact they can jump on the sidewalk and run away.

Any driver could seriously hurt a cyclist by just turning the steering wheel.

However, I agree that you are just a guy on a bike, not someone a driver would be able to select out of a line-up.

I might notice you rode a particular bike or wore a certain kind of helmet, but to everyone else, my ti bike and $150 helmet is no different than guy wearing a baseball cap riding a Huffy.

And of all the thousands of miles I have covered, I have not seen the same driver twice unless they worked in my building.

jrm
    mtbr member

The thing is..

I don't know any of you guys, and hardly ever come into this forum, but that is a pretty cowardly question.

What do expect him to do? Hunt you down and run you over? Its highly likely you were just a blip on a two wheeled thing. Even if he does confront you again, stand your ground! It's just as much your right to be there as it is his... If anything, he was in the wrong.
    I dont know what this person or any other person is capable of. So you say i should allow the confrontation to escallate so i can find out what this person is capable of? ah yeah..thanks for the advise.
    Last edited by jrm; 12-05-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

weirdo
    I know there have been cases of drivers deliberately running into/over bikes, but very few- there are isolated cases of anything you could possibly imagine. I think the other guys are right that he probably wouldn`t know you from any other rider, especially if you were to change your helmet or jacket. Yeah, there`s a very slight chance of a more serious incedent in connection with what already happened. Your call.

For what it`s worth, I`ve changed my route in the past to avoid being hassled by a bunch of punks who used to give me crap on my way home from work. They`ve either moved on or lost interest now so I`m back to my old route.

mtbr member
    I think it is an honest worthwhile question that any intelligent person should weigh out.

I havent really had this happen to me, but I can see the need for alarm. If your commute is on a very fixed schedule there is an outside chance that his is as well and you may cross paths again. There are a bunch of unstable losers out there with nothing better to do than heckle you as well.

I would probably go with the recommendation to maybe toss up the commute for the next few days and let things really simmer down then return to your old route. Odds are even if he sees you again as long as it isnt really recent from the confrontation he will probably ignore you.

Where I commute I stand out like a sore thumb. There are probably 5 bike commuters in the whole city, and I am the only one that typically wears a high-vis jacket. If I make someone mad, odds are they are going to see me again and I am seriously disadvantaged being on a bike and basically at their mercy. It pays to use your head in situations like that- there are plenty examples of blatant road rage and vengeful motorists ruining people's day to make it a concern for me.

You can act as tough as you want, but 2,000+ lbs of steel is going to win if you are on a 20lb bike. Its simple physics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can't tell you what I think you should do but I know what I would do. I wouldn't think about changing my route for a nano-second. I seriously doubt that the guy thought about you or the confrontation 30 minutes later. In the end, it all comes down to you feeling safe (not what anyone else says). If you think changing your route will make you feel safer, go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    You can act as tough as you want, but 2,000+ lbs of steel is going to win if you are on a 20lb bike. Its simple physics.
    I wish I could afford a 20lb bike.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    In my opinion, you should not change your route, the law is on your side, and that's what that guy would want you to do.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by stubecontinued
    In my opinion, you should not change your route, the law is on your side, and that's what that guy would want you to do.
    It`s nice to have law on our side, but I`m not going to bet my life on the cops showing up at exactly the right moment. If I were Chuck Norris or Mr T, I wouldn`t bet the other guy`s life on it either. Better to not have a confrontation of that scale IMO.

My Brain Hurts!
    If you want to, change your route for a while. I rarely ride exactly the same way to work everyday myself, so that is never an issue.

If the guy really rattled you, call the police, report the incident and as much detail about the vehicle as you can. Then don't let it worry you.

As for the law being on our/your side, tell that to a 12oo pound car as it runs you over.\

Be safe, be smart and even if the law is with you, it is not the force, it won't protect you in the moment. Even if I am in the right, I cannot count how many times I have yielded to either ignorant or idiot drivers.

And FWIW, he could have just been having bad day or driving HUA....things happen.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Known Mountainbiker
    You can keep changing your route, your commute will keep getting longer and you'll still meet all sorts of a$$holes. Chances are you'll meet the same ones too. You can also change what time you leave on your daily commute. But again, you'll just encounter different a-holes.

Get the license plate number and make sure the driver sees you looking at their plates. I've sat at corners the day after and waited for the person to drive by again (same time/routine) and got their plate number. Getting their plate is just like getting their name. Makes them think.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini

Sweet, my 39 lb commuting fortress probably has doubled my safety. I'll keep telling myself that to resist the urge to build a new commuter.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

weirdo
    Caz, I think both your points are valid to a degree, but I still think that sometimes the situation warrants ducking out. People can say what they want, but those of us who weren`t actually on the scene won`t ever know the whole of it no matter how honest or how good a job somebody else does at describing it. There might very well be reason for the OP to be concerned that comes out of a gut feeling of some kind which can`t be explained even in person, let alone in a post. Like you say, you can`t run from EVERYTHING but if he were trying to do that he would never have bothered throwing it out for discussion- it would have just been his daily weenie fest. I doubt that`s the case. Getting a license plate might help (can`t hurt), but really what will that do? The cops just don`t have the time to follow up on that kind of stuff unless it turns into a homocide investigation.

Why not?
    Well if your on a 20 lbs. bike then 5 lbs of wooden bat slung across your back isnt going to hurt right?

Nothing But Glory, and Everything For It.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dunno what makes that guy tick, but there are a LOT of people who cuss like sailors behind the wheel (ask me how I know this...) but are actually emminently reasonable when not. So, unless this guy came back after you to harrass you, the overwhelming odds are he's one of these. He's probably already long forgotten it. Be aware, but try to not be paranoid (which tendency I have to resist...the 6" barrel S&W isn't part of my riding kit).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Take a 2 foot metal pipe with your on your rides.