Still want a fat bike....

Chain Keeper or SIngle Speed Chainring

Another question for the masses. You guys are great for all this information and I appreciate all the help.

I have an SLX crank and while I know its recommended that I use a single speed chainring on the front for an Alfine IGH, if I throw a Paul Chain Keeper on there, does it matter if I have a single speed ring? Pros or Cons? I suppose it will add some friction, but if the chain is tight and the keeper is on there, it should technically only rub when it wants to fall off and not all the time or anything. So what would you do? Both are probably the same price-ish.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    For an IGH I don't think you really need either? As long as you keep the chain fairly tight it shouldn't be possible for it to go anywhere even with a normal chainring.

That being said, I do like SS rings.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd throw on a keeper. No need to change rings though.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't use a chain keeper, but I have a SS chainring. No tensioner either, and I have vertical dropouts. No issues with chainline or the chain coming off at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A cheaper alternative would be the Deda dog fang

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The question doesn't make sense. Using an IGH is the same as running a single speed - you have to tension the chain somehow. If you have a chain tensioner, horizontal dropouts, or an eccentric bottom bracket, you won't need to worry about the chain coming off. Are you putting an IGH on a bike that came with derailleurs? If so, you'll need to add a chain tensioner like a Surly Singulator in place of the rear derailleur. Then you won't need a guide in front.

The Paul Chain Keeper is for 1x setups where you run a rear derailleur and no front derailleur. When you hit big bumps and the rear derailleur goes slack, the chain can pop off the front chainring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    The question doesn't make sense. Using an IGH is the same as running a single speed - you have to tension the chain somehow. If you have a chain tensioner, horizontal dropouts, or an eccentric bottom bracket, you won't need to worry about the chain coming off. Are you putting an IGH on a bike that came with derailleurs? If so, you'll need to add a chain tensioner like a Surly Singulator in place of the rear derailleur. Then you won't need a guide in front.

The Paul Chain Keeper is for 1x setups where you run a rear derailleur and no front derailleur. When you hit big bumps and the rear derailleur goes slack, the chain can pop off the front chainring.
    +1. going IGH is more or less equivalent to going SS. Get your chainline set, tension your chain, and don't worry about it. In that case, I like SS rings. it's what I use instead of the ramped & pinned ones.

1x9 (or 8 or 10 or whatever) is where you need help.

weirdo
    For what its worth, I used the stock middle ring on a Deore crankset with a Nexus, no tensioner, and semi-hroizontal DOs. No trouble, but I only used that setup for about 2000 miles, so no idea how the ring would have held up. Is service life the main reason you guys suggest SS ring?

Still want a fat bike....
    Its a horizontal drop bike, but I ask because my LBS said I should get an SS ring, so I wanted to check with the masses to see if any of you have had trouble without an SS ring or chain keeper.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Is service life the main reason you guys suggest SS ring?
    I just suggest them because they look cooler.

I've also been lucky to find a few on clearance at Jenson or CRC when I've been ordering other stuff.

But the slx middle ring would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    For what its worth, I used the stock middle ring on a Deore crankset with a Nexus, no tensioner, and semi-hroizontal DOs. No trouble, but I only used that setup for about 2000 miles, so no idea how the ring would have held up. Is service life the main reason you guys suggest SS ring?
    as mentioned before, the middle ring works fine. I think the SS ring looks cleaner, for one. but I've noticed that with the teeth generally taller, I would expect the system to be a little more tolerant of imperfect chainline.