mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cellphone apps for bicycles

I was on my way to purchase a Garmin for my bike to commute to work and I remembered there are apps on my cellphone. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that uses or used the bicycle apps on your cellphone. I would mainly use the app for speed and distance. Any help would be appreciated....

blet drive
    I run map my ride with the quad lock bike mount. It has worked well to track my commuting.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't found need or desire for anything but some popular phone apps. Android prior, Apple current.

GPS is not as accurate as a cyclometer if you ever want an accurate odometer. Still, using same app over and over will build usable data.

I'm partial to apps that are multi-purpose so I can use them for hiking, skiing and trail mapping. I like Abvio's for sports and Gaia GPS is an awesome mapping tool for both Android and Apple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use Runkeeper to track speed, distance, elevation. It's linked to a couple of sites (everymove.org and earndit.com) through which I can convert my commutes into small donations to various charities. It also integrates reasonably well with my Pebble, and offers live tracking so my wife can check on me while I'm riding home at night.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I use to use the mapmyride, strava and other apps but was constantly forgetting to start & stop them. The GPS had me off in the trees (on my road bike) many rides. I got a garmin edge 500 and have loved it from day 1. The mount is dead simple and so is the device. The GPS usually gets a lock right away. YMMV

I do not use my phone on the bike.

Too big. Excessive battery drain.

If I want to track my rides, I use a small Garmin Forerunner 310XT. like bedwards said, it's dead simple. battery lasts forever compared to my phone.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Oh yeah, I meant to mention battery drain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use Strava to track miles. It's also fun to see the segments and times and how you stack up against other. I have used Endomondo in the past for the same purpose and both work well for mileage tracking.

As others have said though phone GPS is generally not too accurate so if you are looking for precision you would probably be better off with something like the Garmin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use Endomondo.

Distance, time, elevation, calories. Ive never had a problem with it draining my battery. If I have my headphone plugged in it will alert you each time you have reached another mile and it will tell you in how many minutes you have done that mile.

mtbr member
    Try Strava. If you're worried about battery life, Strava will still work in "airplane mode" thus saving considerable battery life. I use it that way all the time.

Also noteworthy: Google MyTracks.

mtbr member
    I'll second the Strava suggestion. Been using in on several android phones for over 2 years and like it the best. Tried Endomodo, Map my Ride, Activity Tracker and had issues with them. Plus I have friends on Strava so the mutual encouragement keeps me trucking somedays. No real issue with the battery drain except when it's cold and sitting in my pannier it drops quicker. But if you already have a smartphone, you really don't need a dedicated Garmin for commuting. Longer rides, you may.

Moderator Moderator
    I wonder if there is a current fundraiser app for bikecommuters, that is probably the only thing that would convince me to use my phone (it's big and not suitable for the bars or bad weather) instead of my wristwatch or the Garmin 605 I just re-found. I just started using the "Walk for a Dog" app when I walk my dog (I find I am hard to train though, the phone is often at home); the shelter of your choice gets a donation somehow based on your mileage. I've seen an app before for bikes and the foodbank $$, but it was already over.

mtbr member
    Strava works well for me. Just don't let it get out of hand...e.g. racing through street lights to try to beat someone's Strava time.

mtbr member

Cellphone apps for bicycles

Run keeper on iphone in a lifeproof case mounted to stem. Every ride tracked. 1600 km this summer so far