Fat-tired Roadie

Cat. 6 Road Racing

So for once, I'm doing a day job. I take well-traveled routes to and from work, and it's the not-raining part of the season.

People are so f'ing slow on climbs! It makes me feel like Andy Schleck, except that I also have teammates I ride with, who remind me that I've got a long way to go. There was even a mini-peloton on the first, slightly easier climb on the route. I guess I get some Cat. 6 KOM points today.

I'm really not even trying to do the competitive thing. I think it's silly. I just can't stand being behind someone who climbs slowly, even if I'm on a bike that hasn't run out of gears yet.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't purposefully race on my commute, but I still pass people on my SS. then they gear up and try to ride my tail. errrg!
    Even worse, is when I pass someone, and then I get a red light, and they blow through it and give me some sort of look like I'm the dumbass, and then I only have to catch them again (then it does make me want to Cat6 their ass because I was rightfully in front)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Fat-tired Roadie
    Oh! Or when you pass someone, stop centered in a lane and not in the crosswalk, and they get in front again?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    In the mornings I climb a nice long hill - about 1.5 miles from bottom to top. It starts off at about 4% grade, but quickly pitches up to 9% and then alternates between 4-6% grades with a couple of 7-8% pitches in between. I ride it almost every day and I've learned just to take it steady and not burn out before the top.

Every summer, like clockwork, the cat 6's come out and I get to watch them flame out halfway up the hill. There is a traffic light at the bottom, and quite a few bikes can queue up there. The light turns green and I may get passed by multiple bikes. It's a rare cyclist who is still in front of my by the time I hit the top of the hill. It's perversely fun saying "on your left" over and over again as I reel them all in, just grinding along.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I don't purposefully race on my commute, but I still pass people on my SS. then they gear up and try to ride my tail. errrg!
    Even worse, is when I pass someone, and then I get a red light, and they blow through it and give me some sort of look like I'm the dumbass, and then I only have to catch them again (then it does make me want to Cat6 their ass because I was rightfully in front)
    Been there, done that so many times. Isnt it entertaining as hell??? I love schooling schlocktards from light to light (as well up hills), especially on my heavy bikes.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ even better is passin SUVtards!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

dirtbag
    It seems most of the other Cat 6 racers are doing the opposite commute. There is one guy who I pass if I wake up late though. Maybe I should wake up late every day so I can earn more KOM points, LOL!
    Amolan

weirdo
    I can`t remember ever having passed or been passed by another bicycle on my commute. Once in a blue moon I go by somebody headed the other direction. Some of my road rides are on more heavilly biked routes, but still not enough riders for any passingfest one way or the other.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most returning commutes there are races down the MUTs and up the hills...lots of fun..

Geez even some of the going commutes.

mtbr member
    I had a guy cat 6 me a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was cat 7, dunno. I was cruising down the bike trail heading home, on my big steel bike with downtube shifters, the panniers mounted, etc. Going 17-ish mph. I motor passed him and about 15 seconds later he blows by me in a full standing sprint and takes off. If he had been in a Honda Civic he would have hit the hazard lights. So I keep my pace and catch him again just a bit later. I pass him. Again about 30 seconds later, full sprint away from me.

What a tool.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ I love the Honda civic comment!

Hell, only because I own one and retired it for the summer so I can commute. Haha.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
    • OEM Spec

mtbr member
    When I'm on the singlespeed I'm forced to be a bit of a Cat6er/Silly Commuter Racer. If there's a hill then I'm going to mash up it, but then on the flats I'm stuck spinning. I'm sure that a few people have thought I was being a tool as I huffed-and-puffed past them and their granny gear. It's either that or walk, though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think anyone who's ridden singlespeed knows what you're doing, and why.

If they haven't, they think you're a tool for riding singlespeed in the first place.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately my driveside is always hidden by a pannier. What's the point of me being so hardcore if people can't even tell I'm ss?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sometimes guys who do full sprints, slow down and then sprint again are not cat6'ing you, they are doing training intervals.

jrm
    mtbr member

Im slow on climbs as well

when im being passed by the Cal cycling team guys along the 8 mile climb on my "long way home" commute route. Dropping the fixie hipsters after they fly pass you is fun.