Air Pirate

Carbon stay durability for commuting?

Next month I will be moving to a new house that places me closer to a bike trail that I can commute to work on. Initially I am going to ride the mountain bike, but I will purchase a commuter specific bike as soon as an accident settlement comes in.

The commute route will be mostly paved bike path, but there is going to be some dirt fire road for about 1/4 the distance. I figured a cyclocross bike would be a good choice for this route. I have noticed several bikes come with carbon fiber seatstays or complete carbon fiber rear triangles, such as the Spec. Tricross, the Jamis Nova, and the Bianchi Cross Concept.

My accident left me with a slowly healing back injury that is sensitive to high-frequency low-impacts, in other words, road buzz. These carbon fiber stay bikes are touted to reduce that vibration.

Anyone know how valid that claim is, and also how durable would one of these frames be for a commute? I wouldn't be carrying anything more than a Camelback as I can store clothing for the workday in my office, so the only weight on the bike will be me.

mtbr member
    im getting a tricross for commuting very soon. and after riding a specialized roubaix a bunch i can say the "zertz" really add alot to the carbon as far as vibration damping.

as for duribility im not worried because 1. its cyclocross inspired. 2. its a specialized and if anything was ever to happen they will hook us up,like they always have in the past.