Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ Yep. Geese are mean when the goslings are in creche. Never heard of the dive bomb aerial attack as the opener. Some farers used them as guard animals when I was a kid. Very effective and you had to watch where you walked as they 'decorate' the landscape.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup we have a path that follows the river the geese hang out at particular spots....

They try to own the path, and then protect their goslings....

Best solution I have found ride as fast and as hard as I can target the biggest goose sin the way and start hissing at it.....that generally seems to be enough to grab thier attention and worry them enough that the just kind of saunter out of the way hissing a little bit...

Course then these geese are pretty used to people and bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This spring I had at least 3 encounters with Geese on my way to work. I noticed they only get that protective during the 1st couple of weeks the goslings are around. Now they just lay next to the trail.

Little fawktards can be mean for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had quite a few encounters with protective geese. I ride fast as far away from them as possible while shouting at them (usually curses) and generally being noisy and they're at least too slow to attack me, even if they don't run away. Only a few times have they looked like they wanted to do so.

I've also been told to grab at the neck if they do start coming after you. Obviously never had a chance to try it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Ya know, the geese around here tend to hiss, but will generally back off if challenged. So I thought everyone was just being a wuss.

Then I checked youtube, and found tons of footage of Canada Geese beating up people, as well as dogs, EAGLES, and all kinds of other large animals that I thought ATE geese.

So I guess the geese around here are just reserved, relatively speaking.

Also: On a ride Sunday I saw a family of geese crossing the road at one of the busiest intersections in the city. IN THE CROSSWALK... DURING THE WALK SIGNAL. The geese finish crossing, the light changes, the cars take off... did anyone else find that weird....?

Dorkimus Prime
    I thought it was only the Americans that blame everything on Canadians. Sheesh.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Also: On a ride Sunday I saw a family of geese crossing the road at one of the busiest intersections in the city. IN THE CROSSWALK... DURING THE WALK SIGNAL. The geese finish crossing, the light changes, the cars take off... did anyone else find that weird....?
    Well, I know that Canada geese have "feeding guards" - if you see a flock foraging, there is always one on the lookout not eating. Maybe they have crossing guards as well.

mtbr member
    Any animal can be trouble for a cyclist. They'll run right in front of you. Be careful out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I thought it was only the Americans that blame everything on Canadians. Sheesh.
    They are Canada Geese not Canadian geese. No passports. Good thing American Alligators like it warm or the wildlife exchange could be a problem.