Thread: Camera Wars

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    "Toronto police Const. Clinton Stibbe said the force has started to see videos submitted as evidence when cyclists have collisions or confrontations with motorists.

But he cautioned that police don’t accept edited-down videos as evidence, and people may not want to submit their camera footage from an entire ride, since it likely also contains proof of their own traffic violations.

“They’re going to make at least one mistake on that trip, intentionally or not,” Stibbe said."

OK. That is Ontario, Canada. I lived there 27 years. A bit more police power.

I wonder if the Fifth Amendment would protect a cyclist who was hit by a motorist but who had run a stop sign at a previous intersection which in no way had an influence on the accident? Would you have to turn it over through a lawyer who would then ask for immunity on any actions of the cyclist not pertaining directly to the accident/assault/incident?

Since I have a remote on off switch, how can they tell if they got a truncated version of a longer original (I delete the original on the camera once downloaded) or a full length shorter video started up part way through a ride? Any video experts here? DoI have to give up the camera into evidence on the spot?

It does raise interesting questions.

BrianMc

sheep in FOX clothing
    It's not an issue of police power here in Toronto. It's an issue of police apathy.

The upside is that no one, cyclist or motorist, gets pulled over, no matter what they do, outside of a few weeks in the spring when a "crackdown" is announced.

The downside is that no matter what happens on the road, you are on your own.

As far as the police are concerned, the HD Gopro clip of a raging pick-up driver throwing a beer bottle at me might just show a guy acting in self-defense.

And the comments section shows the public sentiment that anyone riding their bike in the middle of a MARKED SHARROW LANE is just asking to get hit.

So yeah, I don't bother with the camera most days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So if I get run over and my camera catches the plate they wont prosecute if i also rolled a stop sign 20 minutes earlier? wow. I love police.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

my take

Not a lawyer, but I would argue that if a video showed a cyclst breaking other traffic laws prior to an accident that was caused by another, that would have no bearing on the accident fault.

Put another way, what does a cyclist rolling through a stoplight have to do with an auto rolling through a different stoplight and hitting the cyclist? Nothing.

mtbr member
    yeah.. i was thinking this would be a good thing for biking but that lady is dumb.. yelling out traffic codes will help you none... stupid imho

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't watched her videos yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

psycho cyclo addict
    A retired DC popo hit a cyclist in Washington, DC last year ...the driver was initially charged with: assault, leaving the scene of a collision that caused both personal injury and property damage, and destroying property. Last I read, the only remaining charge is leaving the scene of a collision.

"Evan Wilder was on his daily bicycle commute to work in Washington, D.C. when he was struck by a pickup owned by John Diehl. Diehl, a retired District police officer, has denied that he was involved in the accident, but his truck matches the one in the video captured by Wilder's helmet camera.

The video shows someone yelling at Wilder through the truck's passenger window, then moving in what looks like an intentional swerve. Wilder was hit when the truck swerved, and he fell over, injuring his leg and hip."

A DC Cyclist Used His Helmet Cam To Nab A Hit-And-Run Driver

mtbr member
    ^^ So the US attorney had to step in. Nice. No plate caught on the video, it sounds like they identify the pickup by matching blemishes on the truck and video. So not a slam dunk.

No mention of searching the video for the cyclist's transgressions,if any on the ride before the incident. So maybe that is illegal without cause in the US.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    A retired DC popo hit a cyclist in Washington, DC last year ...the driver was initially charged with: assault, leaving the scene of a collision that caused both personal injury and property damage, and destroying property. Last I read, the only remaining charge is leaving the scene of a collision.

"Evan Wilder was on his daily bicycle commute to work in Washington, D.C. when he was struck by a pickup owned by John Diehl. Diehl, a retired District police officer, has denied that he was involved in the accident, but his truck matches the one in the video captured by Wilder's helmet camera.

The video shows someone yelling at Wilder through the truck's passenger window, then moving in what looks like an intentional swerve. Wilder was hit when the truck swerved, and he fell over, injuring his leg and hip."

A DC Cyclist Used His Helmet Cam To Nab A Hit-And-Run Driver
    Ye gods, I just read the comments on that article..... there are some real knuckle-draggers out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Ye gods, I just read the comments on that article..... there are some real knuckle-draggers out there.
    Ohh of course.. there are a lot of bike haters out there.. I will agree that I am not a fan of bike riders and cars sharing the road. It's an equation for disaster. I rode street bikes for years and eventually went to track only because it was bordering on suicide in traffic.

Such a slippery slope, dumb drivers and dumb bikers will always be the loudest voices on both sides of the fence.

I have ran into many roadies that are riding in pairs and taking up the whole lane.. it's mind numbingly angering.. but then again I deal w/ nothing but terrible drivers.. I drive about 70k per year so I get me fill of idiots..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Ohh of course.. there are a lot of bike haters out there.. I will agree that I am not a fan of bike riders and cars sharing the road. It's an equation for disaster. I rode street bikes for years and eventually went to track only because it was bordering on suicide in traffic.

Such a slippery slope, dumb drivers and dumb bikers will always be the loudest voices on both sides of the fence.

I have ran into many roadies that are riding in pairs and taking up the whole lane.. it's mind numbingly angering.. but then again I deal w/ nothing but terrible drivers.. I drive about 70k per year so I get me fill of idiots..

Most of us commuters are forced to share the road. Not really any other option for me at least

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    Most of us commuters are forced to share the road. Not really any other option for me at least

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Well be safe out there. I feel for you guys and gals

mtbr member
    Honestly if multiple instances of traffic violations are on a video they should be treated as individual cases. Running a stop sign will certainly have a fine, but failing to control your vehicle and hitting someone is a distinctly separate event. If anyone here is ever in that situation it needs to be presented as such.

In my opinion.