In the rear with the beer

Bulletproof 700X32?

Anybody want to recommend a bulletproof 700x32 tire? I've got these on my LHT and don't care about weight, just hate changing flats on the way to work...or worse, when all I wanna do it get home. I'm in Arizona, so thorns are a constant threat in addition to the usual roadside garbage....

2nd question: anybody using tire tape? I almost bought some this morning, but read the reviews and became less than excited. Thoughts on the liner tape??
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've had good luck with the 700x32 Urban Max from Panaracer, but I doubt the thorns in my area compare to the thorns in Arizona. You could also run some tubeless sealant inside your tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was running 700x23 Gatorskins in Phoenix, went 1100 miles without a flat. Would have gone longer but I sold the bike

New bike will have Panaracer Pasela TG's or Vitorria Randonnuers. Expecting the same flat-free performance, but with a little more canal path friendliness that the Gatorskins didn't have.

Nashbar 20% ends on the 20th, good time to get new tires for cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Panaracer Ribmo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Schwalbe Marathons or Continental Touring Plus.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    If you want to "fit and forget," Marathon Pluses (Schwalbe) will probably wear out before you get a puncture. Granted, they are a little heavier than the typical tyre, but their ultimate puncture protection and their ability to cope with gentle off-roading is worth investing in.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Panaracer Ribmo
    these.

or specialized armadillos. buy the ones with the red sidewalls. despite what the big S claims, i think they're more flat resistant than the pricier "s-works" variety. i've had good luck with gatorskins as well, but think the other two i listed are a bit nicer/bulletproof
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide
    If you want to "fit and forget," Marathon Pluses (Schwalbe) will probably wear out before you get a puncture. Granted, they are a little heavier than the typical tyre, but their ultimate puncture protection and their ability to cope with gentle off-roading is worth investing in.
    second.
    Ride On!

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    I was running 700x23 Gatorskins in Phoenix, went 1100 miles without a flat. Would have gone longer but I sold the bike

New bike will have Panaracer Pasela TG's or Vitorria Randonnuers. Expecting the same flat-free performance, but with a little more canal path friendliness that the Gatorskins didn't have.

Nashbar 20% ends on the 20th, good time to get new tires for cheap.
    The Pasela TG's may be the answer, given the canal path friendliness over the gatorskins.....I've been running the regular Pasela's for over a year now (goatheads ahve gotten me)...time to step it up.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

jrm
    mtbr member

I really like the TServs

Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    The Pasela TG's may be the answer, given the canal path friendliness over the gatorskins.....I've been running the regular Pasela's for over a year now (goatheads ahve gotten me)...time to step it up.
    i use the 28c

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Armadillo technology

We have a LOT of thorns here in Colorado as well. THE most bulletproof tire I have ever run is the Specialized Nimbus with Armadillo Technology. I run Mr Tuffy tire liners in all of my other tires, but these things have never needed them. The 700x28 are large and fit more like a 700x32 (they were too large to run in my headshok fork, when every other 700x28 works). I ran them for about 1000 miles before I became too concerned about the headshok clearance. That 1000 miles didn't even put a scuff on the tread, and never flatted once the whole time. I would pull thorns out of them daily, but none ever penetrated to the tube. Glass was no match for those tires either. If I ever put a lefty fork on my cannondale, these tires will go back on my rig in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My friend finds the Ribmo more flatproof than the Armadillo it replaced. I've always had better luck with flat protection by having thicker rubber than kevlar belting.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I gave up with skinnies and moved up to a 40c . My commute is 35.2 mi. round trip part of it on a dirt road and not a single flat.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

What matter where?
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide

Third...Great tire!!! I also live in the Phoenix area (Anthem) and commute to Peoria 2 or 3 times a week. 4K miles on these tires with no flats.