mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Built up the nerve!

Have been thinking about commuting to work now for about 4 months but could never mustard up the nerve to do it. But after talkin myself into it and hearing all the joys of biking I jumped on my piece ( diamond back sorrento) and trucked into the office. Just wanted to say that if it wasnt from reading this forum I wouldn't have done it. I think I might have to get a new bike though.

Does everybody worry about traffic as much as I do? Or do you just get used to it?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Traffic is always there. I know going to work (around 2:30-3pm daily) I take a longer route that avoids busy roads and uses some paved trail. On the way home (9-11pm ish) I take the roads for the light and speed. Just to say sometimes an extra bit of riding is worth the safety and sanity that slower streets provide.
    That said traffic is always there, just be aware and awake. If you get too used to it that is when you will forget. There are a few sections that I have to take a lane (really bad road edge) and just do it, your safety is not worth their 30 seconds time.

Congrats though Its a great step forward. I have found riding to work I get there and am in a better mood and riding home I burn off the stress and I am in a better mood.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think I had played it in my mind so long that traffic would be so hard to deal with. Once I got out it was fine, was just a little nervous this mourning. So hopefully the ride home will be a little more comftorable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Congradulations!

First off - Congrats - on being one less car!

Trying and timing different routes at different times if possible is always advisable. Some times I switch routes just for different scenery. Often the thought of getting on my bike is what gets me out of bed in the morning, and if I were just driving to work I would probably call in sick some days. You will get more confidant as you commute more, but you should never stop worrying and probably never will as driver behavior is imposable to predict.

Safe happy riding

Jay

mtbr member
    you will get used to the traffic but you always have to stay alert. As others noted, try different routes, not just for traffic, but for routes that have better flow (maybe a downhill, etc). I just started commuting myself but have been riding for years. As it gets lighter/darker later and early, be sure you get a tail light at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You definitely get used to traffic but it's also worth exploring alternate routes, even longer ones. If you're just on edge from nonstop traffic jousting the whole time the ride definitely loses something.

mtbr member
    a good weekend ride would involve getting out there and finding slower speed/lower traffic streets near your normal route...route planning is everything! www.bikely.com is a good place to get your plans together...you can also get some good satellite images there to search for shortcuts....

be safe!