Thread Killer

building up a commuter for $150 or less?

my gf likes her specialized hardrock, but she wants something with a little more casual geometry for commuting and stuff. basically, what she wants is a little more upright riding position, slick tires, and good hill climbing on roads and sidewalks. my thinking is, take her to a thrift store and get a fully rigid MTB for her, and put some cheap slicks on, an adjustable stem, and a new saddle. now, for my questions...she doesn't like the ride of my roadbike, apart from how quickly and effortlessly it goes uphill. is it possible to emulate that sort of feel on a mtb at all? are there any bikes with similar frame geometry to the HRXC to look for, especially used? finally, she wants a rack or some sort of carrying device...can anybody recommend a good rear rack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    An older hybrid might give her a bit of the road bike feel with some MTB benefits. I just picked up a beat up Specialized Crossroads from a pawn shop for $20 and am adding drops and some better components I had laying around. It looks quite a bit like a road bike now, with only a hint of the sloping top tube, and plenty of wheel & tire options, fenders, racks, etc.