Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Another Retro Grouch

Building Management said, "Park there and I'll cut your lock!"

For the last 4 months I've been asking for the building superintendent about a bike rack. He says never. So I've been parking my bike against the loading dock rail in an unused flower bed. Not the best, but I was trying to be nice. Today when I arrive at work, I find he's planted bushes in the bed...no place to park. So I park it in front out the building against the shiny new railing. About 10am the local office support person comes to me and says, "He's going to cut your lock if you don't move your bike right away." Needless to say, this guy is a total tool, anyone that deals with him knows it. But I decide to make nice, so I go to his office to discuss the situation.

He tells me he doesn't have to do anything, he can cut my lock as he pleases and that's my tough luck...but when he gets around to it, he'll buy a rack and put it in the parking lot in an unused space way out from the building.

So I figure now's the time to get busy. Here's the email chain, including the City Director of Transportation's reply:
    My first email:
    Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:52:27 -0500
    Subject: Proper Bicycle Accommodations

Hello Rick,
    Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about proper village compliant bicycle parking accommodations today in your office. I hope you were not serious when you said you were going to "cut my lock" and that you "didn't have the time for this issue".

Just to clear up a misstatement you made during our conversation:

- xxxx is required to have proper bicycle parking as spelled out in Village Codes.

The City's Director Transportation can give you more insight about code compliant solutions. Her phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. She's very nice and I'm sure she can give you all the assistance you need or require.

Right now there is no provision for parking, I need to know where I can park my bicycle tomorrow morning when I arrive at work.

As per the Village regulations "29. 154.125 Bicycle Parking Requirements" , I respectfully request:

(B) Location: Bike racks shall be located such that they are highly visible from the street and/or building entrance from where bicyclists approach. Bicycle parking areas shall be separated from motor vehicle parking areas.

(C) Design Criteria And Dimensions:

(1) Bicycle racks must be capable of locking the bicycle and of supporting the bicycle in an upright position.

(2) A hard surfaced parking area is required. Racks must be securely anchored to supporting surface.

(3) Installation of bike racks shall conform with the requirements set forth by the bike rack manufacturer with a rectangular space no less than two and one-half feet (21/2') wide by six feet (6') long per bicycle unless a locker or permanent device to stand the bicycle on end is provided.

(4) Bicycle racks shall be installed with adequate space beside the parked bicycle so that a bicyclist will be able to reach and operate the locking mechanism.

I await your reply.

Best Regards,
    Then the City's Director of Transportation chimes in:
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:10 PM
    Subject: Re: Proper Bicycle Accommodations

I have contacted our planning division to review the approved site plan for this address to determine where the required bike rack was originally located and if it was removed without permission of the Village. This information will then be sent to building management so that the bike rack can be re-installed at the approved location to meet village code. If necessary a citation can be issued by Code Enforcement who regulates commercial property for adherence. Until a bike rack can be re-installed the village will request that property management work with you to find an appropriate and safe location for your bike.

Director of Transportation
    Last edited by pursuiter; 10-07-2008 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nicely done. I love playing by the rules.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good job. Does your city code have specifications for bicycle parking? Ours does and it is pretty cool:

"Short-term bicycle parking facilities shall be located either: no further from a public entry than the nearest non-handicapped parking stall; or visible from and within one hundred (100) feet of the public entry; or within fifty (50) feet of the public entry to the building. A directional sign shall be provided if the selected location is not clearly visible from the primary entrance."

http://olympiamunicipalcode.org/A557...e?OpenDocument

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
    ...Does your city code have specifications for bicycle parking?...
    yes, this town has rules for everything, best part is, instead of just adding a rack to the building site when I asked, now they have to comply fully, our office building requires 25 spaces based on the square footage of the building.
    (B) Location: Bike racks shall be located such that they are highly visible from the street and/or building entrance from where bicyclists approach. Bicycle parking areas shall be separated from motor vehicle parking areas.

(C) Design Criteria And Dimensions:

(1) Bicycle racks must be capable of locking the bicycle and of supporting the bicycle in an upright position.

(2) A hard surfaced parking area is required. Racks must be securely anchored to supporting surface.

(3) Installation of bike racks shall conform with the requirements set forth by the bike rack manufacturer with a rectangular space no less than two and one-half feet (21/2') wide by six feet (6') long per bicycle unless a locker or permanent device to stand the bicycle on end is provided.

(4) Bicycle racks shall be installed with adequate space beside the parked bicycle so that a bicyclist will be able to reach and operate the locking mechanism.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I need to start working with the city to get bicycling parking codes created. They have requirements for parking for cars, they have to have some for bicycles. Not having them is discrimination.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I LOVE it when a self-important prick gets LEGALLY pwn3d!

For your city to have such codes in place speaks VOLUMES about how far my city has to go....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    ...For your city to have such codes in place speaks VOLUMES about how far my city has to go....
    Be careful what you wish for:
    10% sales tax
    11% sales tax @ resturants
    Cops check employee parking lots looking for city sticker violations
    Cops post up at 4 way stop signs in the office parks during lunch, looking for seat belt violations
    Garbage men rat out non-permit home improvements (they see drywall in your garbage....)
    Don't even think about driving after drinking, these guys are tops in the state at busting drunk drivers with "safety checks" on weekend evenings

Looks like the bike racks could run over $100K after the city required codes and citizen boards get their hooks in.

LCI #1853
    A pair of those Kryptonite New York locks would be a good deal, too... at least make the bastid work for it...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath
    A pair of those Kryptonite New York locks would be a good deal, too... at least make the bastid work for it...
    I had issues at my work with parking. There is nowhere and I have been parking it in the same spot for years. This year it was an 'issue' and he said he would cut it, I said give'r. I have the New York Lock and they take 30 mins to remove a padlock from a locker! Worst case is they found a way and I send it back to Kryptonite and complain. We eventually agreed to a location 20 feet away and life is grand.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

... and if we just ...

hope you can keep an eye on it...
    you might find a taco'd wheel someday if this guy decides to "right the wrong" foisted upon him by "the man".
    people that dumb tend to see YOU as the source of the problem, instead of realizing they're in the wrong.
    remember, building superintendants are hired positions (unless they're owners as well, usually not)
    If the city comes back hard on the property management company they might take it out on him, and he on your bike (or you).

trickle down venge-nomics.

but it WOULD be hella funny if he was the one responsible for removing the bike rack in the first place. I don't see how the property management company could NOT fire him for that.
    (the fact that the Director of Transportation made a point of mentioning that they were going to investigate whether there was a rack originally and it was removed leads me to believe that that's probably the case!)

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Be careful what you wish for:
    10% sales tax
    11% sales tax @ resturants
    Cops check employee parking lots looking for city sticker violations
    Cops post up at 4 way stop signs in the office parks during lunch, looking for seat belt violations
    Garbage men rat out non-permit home improvements (they see drywall in your garbage....)
    Don't even think about driving after drinking, these guys are tops in the state at busting drunk drivers with "safety checks" on weekend evenings

Looks like the bike racks could run over $100K after the city required codes and citizen boards get their hooks in.
    Our sales tax just went to 7%, and in-town restaurants charge an extra 1%....
    Seat belt violations are written into our law as a 'secondary' offense, only ticketable if stopped for some other legit reason. Also, weekend 'safety checks', defined here as checkpoints, are no longer allowed for some reason. I thought they were a good idea, especially for DUI's.

That'll be 100K the company will have to eat, because unless they charge for all employee parking, you'll be locking up to that rack for free.

As far as the home improvements & such, it sounds to me like you'd be better off living outside the city limits. You obviously feel shackled by the city ordinances...all cities have some stupid ones, but it's the price we hafta pay. Example: my city just passed a new pet law last Jan., that requires outdoor dog shelters to be heated, or else the dog must come in the house at night, cannot be left out on a chain or in the fenced yard if the occupants are not home, etc. Also cannot allow a chained dog to come within 3 feet of the property line, fenced or not. Ridiculous, but we were faced with $3K in fines or the surrender of our dogs. We didn't have $3K.

I'm ready to cripple the neighbor who called Animal Control on us if I find out who they were.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That's horrible about your dogs. Gotta love our lovely city and the decisions that have been made lately.

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by KINBOY
    I had issues at my work with parking. There is nowhere and I have been parking it in the same spot for years. This year it was an 'issue' and he said he would cut it, I said give'r. I have the New York Lock and they take 30 mins to remove a padlock from a locker! Worst case is they found a way and I send it back to Kryptonite and complain. We eventually agreed to a location 20 feet away and life is grand.
    KIN
    I pair one of the New York 3000 U-Locks with a Fuhgeddaboudit chain when I'm in certain parts of town. Downside is that my locks weigh more than my bike (even the steel Surly CC), but the upshot is that the bike stays where I left it ;-)

mtbr member
    I congratulate you on getting bike parking installed, but was a little shocked to read this:

I find people who drive over the limit repulsive. Frankly I applaud the Police for taking a hard stance against it.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by retro83
    I congratulate you on getting bike parking installed, but was a little shocked to read this:

I find people who drive over the limit repulsive. Frankly I applaud the Police for taking a hard stance against it.
    You've confused "driving after drinking" with "driving over the limit". Here in the suburbs, the cops are experts at getting DUI convictions against people that blow a 0.04. If you've had even one drink and are stopped at a "safety check" you'll need a lawyer. If you went out to run an errand that spanned three cities and was forced to submit to the cops in all three cities, you might feel different. I don't drive my car at all after having a single beer, I need to drive as part of my job

mtbr member
    Well, in the pasage I quoted you mentioned that cops were "busting drunk drivers", hence I assumed you were talking about drivers over the limit. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I'm a bit touchy about this subject since I know of friends who have been injured by drunk drivers as well as acquaintances who drink drive (and one who even crashes regularly) without getting caught.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you should send him another email " BOOOO-YA "

MTB B'dos
    Got to say that serves that jacka$$ right. Prob one of those people who think bicycles are a PITA and should be banned from the streets.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

I'm SUCH a square....
    Nate, gotta tell ya, it really bites the hindquarters when things like that happen, yet gang violence goes on like it's America's Game.

You know what I'm sayin'...

Another Retro Grouch
    The city director of transportation wrote:
    I have contacted our planning division to review the approved site plan for this address to determine where the required bike rack was originally located and if it was removed without permission of the Village. This information will then be sent to building management so that the bike rack can be re-installed at the approved location to meet village code.
    LOL, it's on the original plan, the rack was either removed or never installed. I asked for a rack 4 months ago, he told me "Never!", "I don't have to do anything if I don't want to." He could have installed a rack his way, nobody would have been wiser. Now "Rick" has the city all over his butt. Gonna be stupid, gonna have to be tough

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If anyone deserves to be fired, that would be 'Rick'.
    There is absolutely no call for his attitude, especially as a building manager.
    Good call going to the DOT, I would have also cc that email to the building owner. If something was removed from his property without his knowledge and permission and to get back into compliance would cost him $$$, well you can connect the dots.

mtbr member
    That is great.... I love it.

What a tool.

Let him cut the lock and take the bike...... maybe that will be equivalent of theft and vandalism. Then he might learn a real lesson.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great job. Love hearing things like this! made my day

Commuter/SS/XC Rider
    Nice job. You got your bike rack and owned him THROUGH the confines of the law. Sounds like you killed 2 birds with one stone.
    Anyone can be complicated but it takes wisdom and a conscious effort to achieve simplicity.

mtbr member
    Good job,please post a pic/description when completed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast