lives to ride
    Feb 2005

Building 29er commuter

I have just bought a Haro Mary SS that I'm aiming to build up as a commuter. I've flipped the Mary bars, which has already made it a lot more comfy, but I want to change the tyres. My commute is 95% tarmac, but I do ride on some dirt/gravel along the way. I can pretty much ride slicks but would like some tyres that are kind of flat in the middle, with some knobbly bits on the outside.

Should I be using 29er tyres to make the bike roll faster? Or should I be looking into more the touring/cyclocross category?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Depends on the commute. Lighter tires are certainly going to cut your wind resistance, but larger tires actually have less rolling resistance. 40-45c tires can be found cheaply, and are durable, but my 2.35 Big Apples are fun, but hills can be a pain (42x17 fixed). I want to try the Halo Twin Rails next. My other choice would be the WTB 2.1 Vulpine. Semi-slick center, cornering knobs. Right what you're looking for. Light too so hills will be easy. SelfPropelledDevo likes them on his Hunter he rides everywhere.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Schmucker. I might give the Twin Rails a go. My commute is about 22km's (13 and a bit miles I believe) one way so I need something fast!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have 2.0 BAs and they are certainly less fun going up the hills, but going down the hills is a blast. Seriously consider them, because I think they are decent offroad and great commuting tires. I have Schwalbe Marathon Racers on an old Rockhopper and the bike is pretty quick and did well in dirt before it started getting rainy. Those might be what you are after?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nanoraptors have a low tread, are lightweight, and apparently wear like iron. That's another option.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Thanks again for the options there. Basically though, sticking with a 29er tyre seems to be the go..?

If it wasn't for punctures I'd be fine with a skinny road tyre, just wasn't sure if there was some benefit to sticking with a larger rolling diameter.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    Thanks again for the options there. Basically though, sticking with a 29er tyre seems to be the go..?

If it wasn't for punctures I'd be fine with a skinny road tyre, just wasn't sure if there was some benefit to sticking with a larger rolling diameter.
    I would look for a good 40-50c roadish tire. Something similar to the schwalbe big apple, marathon xr, or marathon supreme. I went with the supreme 40c for a little less weight and more speed. They handle great, and are puncture resistant.

Michelin, and continental also make fattish road tire.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    in all my 29er experience which spans 5 years of using one bike for all of my road/offroad and racing, the michelin xc at 2.0 is the most durable tire that i've found. i ride my indy ti rigid between 150-200 miles per week split between commuting and off road rides and i get a good 4-6 months out of a pair of michelins and they roll fine at 50 psi on the road and my commute to work is 14 miles each way or 140 miles per week. do the math and i got thousands of miles on just two sets of em last year. and at a retail of 35 bucks each, it's not too bad. the tires are great off road as well. i do have extra michelins around that are worn way down to very functional slicks if i ever need em. i love commuting on my 29er. tonight was a mix of rain/sleet/crap on my 14 miles home. put the clip on fenders on and ride the fatties safely and comfortably.
    have fun
    rog

smell my finger
    Mar 2008

29er commuting

This time of year in the northeast commuting for me is done almost entirely when it's dark. Therefore riding my 29er with 29er rims, tires is much more comfortable. I tried commuting with my road bike but I hit a rock in the road and it almost launched me. I do have a niterider mininewt2 (?) which is a great light and I can see the road well. Using my 29er I feel more confident and running over things in the road are a non-issue mostly. I use the stock monocog tires (exiwolfs) and they've been fine, a little heavy but who cares. You don't have to spend a lot to have lots of fun, just ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I've commuted

on rigid drop bar 29ers for years
    they are called cyclocross bikes
    I've never needed a tire more than a 38

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by haaki
    on rigid drop bar 29ers for years
    they are called cyclocross bikes
    I've never needed a tire more than a 38
    700 rim +38c tire = less than 29, try again, plus drop bars are ghey.
    rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    rog
    I have Midge bars on both of my 29ers and they have 2.3s

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2nd the Nano's. Best 'general purpose' tires I've run. They do well on everything except maybe dogshit mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

anyone who needs

rog
    more than a 38c tire to commute must have very little bike skills

most I usually run is 30-32, quite happy on 28s and I'm 230 lbs

anybody who thinks 1 hand position is superior to 3 must be short on math

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    more than a 38c tire to commute must have very little bike skills

most I usually run is 30-32, quite happy on 28s and I'm 230 lbs

anybody who thinks 1 hand position is superior to 3 must be short on math
    230 lbs? you should ride yer bike more porky. any minutes you spend on here, on yer ass should be spent on that cross whatever bike yer abusing.
    rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hey Rog

230 lbs? you should ride yer bike more porky. any minutes you spend on here, on yer ass should be spent on that cross whatever bike yer abusing.
    rog
    I'm an ex Div 1 Heavyweight Rower. Yeah I should slim down, cause in my 40s and 200 plus pounds I somehow finished 5th overall in my cx division racing guys 15 years younger and 60 pounds lighter. Yeah I'll get down to 4% bodyfat and still be over 200 but then nobody would stand a chance. Plus the extra weight is good for the argy bargy on thhe velodrome.

again, weight without height makes it hard to estimate 'pork'

but we already know you ain't so 'mathy'

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm an ex Div 1 Heavyweight Rower. Yeah I should slim down, cause in my 40s and 200 plus pounds I somehow finished 5th overall in my cx division racing guys 15 years younger and 60 pounds lighter. Yeah I'll get down to 4% bodyfat and still be over 200 but then nobody would stand a chance. Plus the extra weight is good for the argy bargy on thhe velodrome.

again, weight without height makes it hard to estimate 'pork'

but we already know you ain't so 'mathy'
    r-i-g-h-t............
    rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

aren't there 3 Goats

r-i-g-h-t............
    rog

you should be harassing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow. There's some serious sexual tension between you two.

mtbr member

I dig the twin rails

They are comfy and handle well in the conditions here. They are bigger than 38s and I got skill. Guess I shoulda consulted mtbr before I did that