mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Brooks B-17 Position?

Where should your seat bones land on a brooks B17 saddle?

I just bought a slightly used one and am having a difficult time finding the correct saddle position.

Currently I have the seat pushed as far back on the seatpost as possible which is limited by the rails curving inward at the nose (as a result it is slightly farther forward than my previous saddle).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yer sit bones should be making little dimples (eventually) in the area immediately ahead of the rivets at the back of the saddle. In other words, you have to sit fairly far back. You will know it when you feel it...it instantly feels right. But the Brooks rails are a bit odd, as you've already discovered. Depending on the geometry of your frame, your proportions, and your seatpost, you may not be able to effect the correct position easily. I had to go to a zero offset seatpost with my roadie and a B17, but that's because I needed it further forward. If you can't get it back enough, you may need a seatpost with more setback, and or a saddle with longer rails. I don't remember the name of it, but Rivendell sells a saddle that is very Brooks B17 like, but with longer rails, for exactly this reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also needed a zero-offset seatpost to get mine far enough forward. Like D said you pretty much want your sitbones right in front of those rivets. If you move forward you will be pressing down the nose of the saddle which isn't good for either you or the saddle. If you can't get the seat far enough back for you to sit back there on it, you need a seatpost w/ yet more setback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Yer sit bones should be making little dimples (eventually) in the area immediately ahead of the rivets at the back of the saddle. In other words, you have to sit fairly far back. You will know it when you feel it...it instantly feels right. But the Brooks rails are a bit odd, as you've already discovered. Depending on the geometry of your frame, your proportions, and your seatpost, you may not be able to effect the correct position easily. I had to go to a zero offset seatpost with my roadie and a B17, but that's because I needed it further forward. If you can't get it back enough, you may need a seatpost with more setback, and or a saddle with longer rails. I don't remember the name of it, but Rivendell sells a saddle that is very Brooks B17 like, but with longer rails, for exactly this reason.

thanks for the advice