mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bring it with you laser bike path. Neat idea.

Saw this on BoingBoing today: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/15...hat-paint.html

Neat idea. I can see it being hard to make it bright enough to be visible to drivers with street lights and traffic lights but I can also see it being very effective.

mtbr member
    The concept is cool, but what happens when you aren't exactly parallel with the curb? The bike lane then extends half way into the street? That could spook some of them there drivers out there!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Feel Good About Hood
    That is really neat and all......But it just reinforces that mindset that bikes don't really "belong" on the road and that we should "stay out of the way". I'm not a fan of bike lanes for most roads. Bikes are vehicles and have the same rights and responsibilities as cars. In my experience (not alot compared to many here) you get more respect when you become part of traffic and ride with confidence as opposed to being a "Gutter Bunny". Also may encourage some riders to feel a little TOO safe, and not pay enough attention to other traffic. Very cool technology though.

weirdo
    I wonder of those gizmos are reprogramable. Sure could use one on my bench and toolbox at work that puts out a "Do not cross" line.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I can agree with both the pros and the cons that have been mentioned so far. It's probably something that, even if it does get to the stage where it is manufactured and marketed will be terribly expensive.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    The concept is cool, but what happens when you aren't exactly parallel with the curb? The bike lane then extends half way into the street? That could spook some of them there drivers out there!
    Well, it's going to move around a bit as you ride. I think the point is to get the message across to drivers that that particular slice of pavement is yours and hopefully avoid those wing-mirror-an-inch-from-your-elbow passes.
    As a driver I find that, especially in a busy urban environment, those blinky red tail lights can sometimes blend in with everything else. Add that to the fact that the single point of light can sometimes mess with your perception of how far off the cyclist is and even an aware driver can make mistakes. Even a fully "reflectorized" cyclist can have a weird effect due to all the moving parts (spinning wheel reflecotors, up & down moving shoe/pedal reflectors) acting kind of like those dazzle-camouflage painted ships - speed and trajectory are hard to figure, especially in a split second with all the other distractions of driving.
    Also, drivers tend to trust road lines to the point that they will sometimes pass too close to avoid straying over the center line even if there's no oncoming traffic. by adding your own set of traffic lines you can fight this.