Baby Bear is in the house

bright rear light on a tight budget - recommendations please

I'm going to start bike commuting to work again, on fairly well-lit city streets, but with fairly heavy traffic in some portions of the route--about 18 km one way. I need a good rear blinker.

What's the brightest one currently available for the least amount of money? Say, less than $30?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Planet bike super flash should be around that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    PBSF/PBSF Turbo, PDW Danger Zone, Princeton Tec Swerve...all right around $30. All of them will do the ticket just fine.

Of all of them, the one(s) I've liked most have been the super flash and the swerve.

mtbr member
    I have a Magicshine 3W taillight that is super bright. It's around $30 for the light unit itself but about $60 with battery. If you have a Magicshine headlight already then you can use that battery.

I also have a Cygolite 2W hotshot. Really happy with that purchase. It's self-contained and the battery is rechargeable. I gpt it from Amazon for about $28, but I see it is going for $27.40 now. Funny thing is that a couple of days ago I saw it going for about $26. Get it while it's cheap!

mtbr member
    I have owned and tested the original Planet Bike Superflash, Princeton Tec Swerve, PDW Danger Zone. The best of these is the DZ, with a bit wider view and a bit more power. The elite are the Planet Bike Turbo and PDW Radbot 1000. Just be certain to keep the NiMH cells recharged every 8 hours or so as both of these drop their brightness with lower battery power. The best light I bought for less than $30 is the Cygolite Hotshot (usb rechargeable). Amazon.com: Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight with USB Cable: Sports & Outdoors

Visible in daylight for 1 mile according to chase vehicle driver on Habitat Cover Indiana Ride. I had to adapt mine to an unused Planet Bike mount because the original mount is not the best. Wider output than many but still beamy.

See the Another Commuting Thread about Lights for more info.

Two watt USB lights from others may also be available for the price, the Solas by NiteRider is just over $30:

NiteRider Solas 2 Watt USB Rechargeable LED Bike Tail Light Rear Bicycle Red | eBay

BrianMc

Thanks for all the inputs mates.
    I'll check those out.

Moderator Moderator
    I miss that nice big glove-friendly switch on the Princeton Tec Swerve and will likely buy another if my Superflash ever dies.

I Ride for Donuts
    I've been using the same superflash for at least 5 or 6 years. Seems to run forever on regular AA's, it's bright, and I can operate it with the lobster gloves on.... no complaints.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I just ordered the Hotshot. It's a little over my original budget (USD33.95 on ebay) but your comments here and a little research on the web sealed the deal
    (it was going for less on Amazon, but the shops selling them don't ship to the Philippines and if they did, the shipping cost would've doubled the total cost )