mtbr member

Bontrager Commuting Stormshell

Hey guys looking to see if anyone here uses one.

Been digging for a jacket and options on what I can get my hands on physically is limited at best.

But Got to try this one on for a bit today, was rather happy. Plus comes in black so can be worn off the bike without looking a bit odd (bright HiVis colors not something to wear normal use). Actually really liked the look of black one. And spending 150 on a cycling specific jacket to me is a be retarded,lol, so 150 for a jacket for riding and everyday stuff is perfect.

BUT HOW DOES THIS PERFORM. Wind blocking and moisture wicking primarily. I have a good windbreaker but is like a plastic bag so Im drenched by the end of a short ride.

Had them order this in my size but before I go pick up I want to make sure im not going to be unhappy with buying it.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ignore me, misread, derp.

blet drive
    looks nice keep us posted
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    And spending 150 on a cycling specific jacket to me is a be retarded,lol, so 150 for a jacket for riding and everyday stuff is perfect.

BUT HOW DOES THIS PERFORM. Wind blocking and moisture wicking primarily. I have a good windbreaker but is like a plastic bag so Im drenched by the end of a short ride.
    It looks like a fairly standard hardshell jacket. The thing with WP/B hardshells is that they can only be so breathable before they're not waterproof anymore. Which means if you're generating enough sweat and heat of your own, you will sweat out in one. But typically the point is to protect yourself from the cold rain outside so it pays off. I have no idea about the specifics of this one. It's probably a little more breathable than my hardshell (which was less expensive and is much older), but like I said, you can only have so much breathability before it's not waterproof anymore.

What is more valuable in my book is a good quality softshell jacket. It's not going to be completely waterproof, so you wouldn't use one in the same conditions where you'd choose a waterproof hardshell. But the advantage of a softshell is that it's still going to be VERY wind resistant, yet will have a higher degree of breathability for venting your own heat/sweat. It will also be water resistant enough that it can still keep you dry in a light drizzle. Softshells were designed for highly aerobic activity in subfreezing temps. Think XC skiing (one of the earliest applications of softshells I know of).

$150 for a technical jacket is nothing, though, to be honest. And if it fills your needs, it's completely worth it. I have $300 jackets that only get used a couple days per year, but are still worth every penny I spent because they fill specific niches that no other gear I own can handle.

mtbr member
    Havent picked this up yet (couple unexpected expenses came up, but will be picking up soonish). I did get more looking at it though. It packs really well, tighter than my current old windbreaker, so putting in my backpack will be easier for on/off/carrying with me just in case type use. But in the mean time as temps seem to be staying 30s night 40-50s day, cheapish softshell ($40) is enough for the moment so I can keep riding. Finding softshell is NICE, even for a cheap one. Not going ot be good enough when it gets really cold but 25-45deg range, dry weather, its pretty decent.

Im seeing the point of having the selection of things more and more. like having a wind vest in chilly temps with tight woven fleece underneath and base layer. full jacket I would cook but finding fleece alone at higher speeds chest gets cold. I can see the reason for SO MANY options, so many things that seem minor become major when your doing a long climb that is a prelude to a long fast downhill or being out in the open air on the pavement. Each thing has its place, seems Im going to need a small closet just for bike clothing before too long.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    When you read that a hard shell is "breathable", you need to take that with a grain of salt. "Breathable" is relative. Compared to a cotton shirt, Gore-Tex or similar (most companies have their own version now that the patent on Gore-tex expired) isn't breathable at all, even compared to a softshell or many other cycling jackets that are mostly wind resistant. There's no reason for a hard shell if you're a fair weather commuter. You can wear a good soft shell and get the same warmth and much better breathability. I'm a bit of a gear snob, not just cycling, but hiking/backpacking as well. I have multiple hard shells, soft shells and cycling specific wind breaker type jackets and there's no way I'd ever wear a hard shell if it was above 20 degrees and not raining.