My Brain Hurts!

Bomb proof clyde tires

I am basically rather tired (no pun) of low end cheap tires on my commuter bike. Face it clydes, they do not make the average tire for us folks! I have my 270 ish pound frame to support on really cruddy paved roads as well as haul the ol grocery getter trailer with a load.

So I am tired of flats, tired of tires that look like they are half inflated and finally give way after less than one season of riding. Sorry Giant, love the bike but HATE the stock tires!

So anyway, in searching for a tough, heavy duty puncture resistant tire, I stumbled across these -

Marathon Plus ATB HS 353
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/38#comment-853

So, I have read good comments on the Big Apple and the Continental semi slicks...but these tires look like the real deal. What do you think?

I also may pair the new tires with these rims -
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/147...l-Wheelset.htm

I figure dropping as much or more on tires and rims as I did for the bike should eliminate the tire and rim issues I have had to fiddle about with all season long....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    I am basically rather tired (no pun) of low end cheap tires on my commuter bike. Face it clydes, they do not make the average tire for us folks! I have my 270 ish pound frame to support on really cruddy paved roads as well as haul the ol grocery getter trailer with a load.

So I am tired of flats, tired of tires that look like they are half inflated and finally give way after less than one season of riding. Sorry Giant, love the bike but HATE the stock tires!

So anyway, in searching for a tough, heavy duty puncture resistant tire, I stumbled across these -

Marathon Plus ATB HS 353
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/38#comment-853

So, I have read good comments on the Big Apple and the Continental semi slicks...but these tires look like the real deal. What do you think?

I also may pair the new tires with these rims -
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/147...l-Wheelset.htm

I figure dropping as much or more on tires and rims as I did for the bike should eliminate the tire and rim issues I have had to fiddle about with all season long....
    I am a heavyweight and have run Schwalbe Marathon 700x28 on a touring bike and absolutely love them. No flats at all. It seems as though Schwalbes quality is the benchmark

Frt Range, CO
    I'm 40lbs lighter than you, I like the Michelin City tires with the reflective strip in 26x1.85" or 700Cx47mm. Cost less than $20 each, weigh over 700gms and have some kind of barrier to prevent flats.

as for wheels, the rims on those wheels don't have eyelets. I'd go for these instead, Shimano XT 756 rear hub is good for Clydes, Mavic 570gm rims with eyelets and 2.0 straight gauge DT spokes for ~175 shipped:

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=26

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I'm 40lbs lighter than you, I like the Michelin City tires with the reflective strip in 26x1.85" or 700Cx47mm. Cost less than $20 each, weigh over 700gms and have some kind of barrier to prevent flats.

as for wheels, the rims on those wheels don't have eyelets. I'd go for these instead, Shimano XT 756 rear hub is good for Clydes, Mavic 570gm rims with eyelets and 2.0 straight gauge DT spokes for ~175 shipped:

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=26
    They look good, but I'd have to convert to disk brakes for those, yes?

I thought I read the Bombshell 32's had stainless steel eyelets on them. I think the line was "Stainless steel eyelets for increased strength"
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 08-02-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    They look god, but I'd have to convert to disk brakes for those, yes?
    opps, you're right. It's harder to find the XT 7xx hub non-disc, here's some that are both disc/rim:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEELSET-BIKE-MT...QQcmdZViewItem

BIG and Bald
    Specialized Hemisphere, Crossroads or Nimbus for 26" wheels. The first two are 1.95's and the Nimbus is 1.5.

Specialized tires are some of the best in the industry.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    they arent really commuter tires but closer to a fast rolling xc allrounder, i have beat on the CST copperhead (mine is the EPS kevlar) on the rear now for a couple months, its holding up well. you didnt mention if you were using 26 or 700c rims.

CST tires... "cheap" or inexpensive?

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by blahwtf?
    they arent really commuter tires but closer to a fast rolling xc allrounder, i have beat on the CST copperhead (mine is the EPS kevlar) on the rear now for a couple months, its holding up well. you didnt mention if you were using 26 or 700c rims.

CST tires... "cheap" or inexpensive?
    26" rims....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Schwalbe Marathon

I was doing a lot of bike trekking and in this field the Schwalbe Marathon is the reference concerning reliability (at least in Germany).
    Should be great for commuting...
    I was running a Schwalbe Marathon Sport as rear tire for some time and loved it.

You only have five bikes?
    Mar 2008
    Specialized Armadillos.
    I have had these on my bike for about two years, and I ride over the same crap on the side of the road that we all do, such as broken glass, small rocks, cans, sticks, and who knows what else.
    I have not used my pump since I put these on my bike.
    No cheap, but commuter worthy.
    I do like the reflective sidewalls on the Schwalbe tires. I think Michelin makes a commuter with reflective side walls as well.
    Burnsey
    Stumpjumper Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yet another vote for the Specialized Armadillos. I've got the Crossroads on my 26" commuter MTB. Like Burnsey said, they don't flat in the meanest junk, they don't lose air. They're so damn tough, wish I had 'em on my trail bike, too. But the Crossroads tread, while great for all kinds of bad roads, ain't so great in the loose stuff. Breaks traction. Tradional knobbies for my trail bike accordingly. You can the Crossroads or Nimbi with reflective stuff built into the sidewalls. Just do it, and your tire troubles will be gone like stink.

My Brain Hurts!
    Yet another tire I had never heard of...but am very interested in!

So the Armadillo's come highly recommended but which one? I am leaning towards the Crossroads Armadillo Reflect 26" Tire
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35761

I'll have to read up on these some more. Fist question though, is the Armadillo good enough, or should the Elite be considered? I do not necessarily have a huge problem with flats, but I want a tire that will take the abuse of crappy roads and a hulking dollop of a clyde on top of them...

BIG and Bald
    The Elite is just a lighter version of the Armadillo protection...not necessarily any more puncture resistant.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

You know, for kids
    I've been running 29x2.3 Big Apples for 1.5 years and I've had three flats in that time or about 3,000 miles, but one was a roofing nail. There are cuts and slits all over the face of the tire but only twice has a piece of glass barely made it through to the tube. I've never had an instant flat with them, only slow leaks created by glass the two times it happened. I'm very happy with the comfort offered by such a hig volume tire and the protection they've given me. I was getting flats every couple of weeks without them.

I'm waiting on some Marathon Supreme 29x2.0 to arrive in the country so I can lost some rotational weight and gain even more protection.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles