mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Boardman Hybrid pro ltd or Boardman HT pro

one has a road pedigree one is a hardtail xc bike.

I love the look and feel of both and they are both outstanding value.

At the moment i am thinking hybrid with a view to getting the HT next year. I have got the halfrauds cycle2work scheme and want to keep it simple rather than waiting months for them to get in another brand.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hybrid:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165534

HT:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

No-Brakes Cougar
    They both look like they would be cool bikes. I would be all over the HT myself (personal preference,) but it depends on a lot of things. How long is your commute? Do you plan on doing any long rides over the weekend? Are you going to be hitting any trails on the way home? You might be better off starting with the Hybrid if your commute is long and you don't need a sus fork or wide tires.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks for that!

my commute has the potential to be variable as i live over 30 miles from the office so will be driving part way and cycling the rest.

I do currently have a self built hard tail but it has seen better days! So i am thinking hybrid first then new hard tail next year....

I dont really enjoy road riding that much but i am planning on doing lands end john o groats in the next couple of years as a bit of a challenge, hence starting to ride on my commute.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by peglar
    I dont really enjoy road riding that much but i am planning on doing lands end john o groats in the next couple of years as a bit of a challenge, hence starting to ride on my commute.
    The classic English touring ride! Commuting would be a great way to get into shape for that. Plus, there's nothing wrong with having more than one (or two) bikes. You never know when you're going to need one as a back-up for something.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'd do the one w/o the suspension, but then, I don't ride offroad with suspension either. On mostly paved stuff I wouldn't even consider it.

mtbr member
    @peglar - I second your Hybrid "consideration" Most of my commutes are on asphalt, and I find suspension and mtn bike tires make for a less efficient ride. If you're planning to ride trails: (A) unless the trails are technical, you can do without the suspension; (B) check tire clearances and consider 700x30 or 700x32 cyclocross tires, and if those won't fit, you can go 700x28, although 28's cross tires tend to be harder to find and tend to be more skittish on loose stuff.

Tour rides are cool. Post your ride on www.crazyguyonabike.com
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks all, i think the hybrid it is!

wont get it until late october though as i am buying it through the cycle to work scheme.