mtbr member
    Aug 2008

BMW vs Specialized rockhopper.

Spoiler alert: Rockhopper wins.

Riding to work today(8.7mi, one way). About 5 miles in I was riding on the sidewalk on the wrong side(I know, I know.) but I was ONLY riding on it because I was turning into the parking lot in about 100ft, and if I don't ride the wrong side for about 500ft, its an extra mile. Anyways, I was coming up to a parking lot outlet to the main street. There was a silver BMW325i and I slowed down because I am always worried about someone jumping out.

So I made eye contact(so I thought), and the guy was stopped. So I continued to go.. then as I was going, he went. I saw it out of my side vision, swurved outsome to avoid getting hit and he clipped my rear end. I managed to stay on the bike barely, and it threw me out into the traffic. Luckily no one was coming. Anyways, I rolled off to the sidewalk and the guy came over to check on me. I said I was fine. I wasn't bleeding, nothing broken. I was *very* lucky.

Anyways, his front bumper had some damage to it, my bike was totally unhurt except my rear wheel was bent a little bit. Just needs a trueing.

So in summary..

I have to say that I very impressed by my bike frames strength and my own ability to stay on the bike. I am currently *very very* sore, and in some pain.. but i'm at work which involves me sitting for 12 hours.. so it should be ok. The wheel is maybe a half inch out of true at one point..

So, as for "fault". It was probably mine more then his, I shouldn't of been on that side, and most certainly should of abided by my own personal rule of BEHIND a car, not infront..
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Glad to hear that you weren't hurt worse. Maybe you were on the wrong side of the street, but if a pedestrian jaywalks in front of you, is it their fault if you run them over? No. Even people who do pay attention are sometimes horrible at judging distances. Or maybe they're just impatient?

A couple of weeks ago I did something similar, I crossed the street and rode maybe 30 feet up a sidewalk in the wrong direction so I could duck into a back alley, instead of going half a mile out of my way. OK.... 30 feet! And wouldn't you know it, some tool in a brand new Subaru with his bike on a roof rack is honking like crazy and waving his finger at me. People really need to mind their own business. Or maybe try riding their bike in traffic for a change, instead of chauffeuring it to where ever tools ride their bikes.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where I live, it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in a business district. I have an aunt who was permanently crippled by someone who hit her as she stepped out of a doorway. Since I work downtown, I also face the peril of sidewalk riders running me down when I try to go out the front door. How about just riding on the street where we belong? That extra mile is good for us anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am terribly sorry to hear about your aunt. I really am.. and trust me, I do put pedestrians at 100% priority when riding. I do not pass them from behind at all. I go into the road to pass them and then get back onto the sidewalk if I need too.

In phoenix, as a lot of people will attest, there is a semi-healthy biking population. Road biking that is, for exercise or commuting. The problems for riding your bike in phoenix though is our roads. A lot of them lack bike paths, and phoenix has notoriously bad drivers. Trust me, I just got hit by one :P

So, a *LOT* of people who ride to work or for commuting get mountain bikes because they are more urban friendly. You can bunny hop curbs and such with them, etc etc. I have never had a single person give me a dirty look or anything when riding on the sidewalk. I have had people scream at me from cars and honk at me though. I am a very courteous person on sidewalks, I don't fly by them, I will ride in the gravel or whatever to avoid them.

So yes, if it were illegal to be on the sidewalk, I wouldn't. I do generally ride on the right side of the road, and if it is *SAFE* for me I will ride on the bike path..

If you have an issue with me riding on the sidewalk because I feel safer.. then quiet frankly, and as politely as possible, you can go to hell.

Yes I did get hit today by a car, and yes it sucked, and yes I am in pain right now. Would this of happened if I was going the other way? No idea, the sun was coming from that direction. maybe he wouldn't of seen me then either.. but its hard to say.

Support OUR Wounded
    Phoenix is one of the few places in america where it is ok to ride on the side walk, only because no one uses the side walks outside of down town, its just too hot to walk anywhere. But the drivers do suck, when I was a kid I was hit 3 times, all in crosswalks, after the third time I started jaywalking and never was hit again.
    They were willing to give their lives for yours, some of them did, others just gave up their way of life. Support the WWP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for saying that Stumpy. I appreciate it. I agree. I was born and raised in Tucson and there its all bike path all the time, because there they actually put thought into the bike paths.

Oh well, I am gonna hopefully get the wheel true'd tommorow after work and be done with this. I ordered some furniture off the net to make myself feel better while I "recoup"

Blind biker
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Where I live, it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in a business district. I have an aunt who was permanently crippled by someone who hit her as she stepped out of a doorway. Since I work downtown, I also face the peril of sidewalk riders running me down when I try to go out the front door. How about just riding on the street where we belong? That extra mile is good for us anyway
    I cant do that in on some streets in my area or I would be killed by drivers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by harry2110
    I cant do that in on some streets in my area or I would be killed by drivers.
    Then you need to start spreading awareness.

mtbr member
    You're okay and walked away. I would be more than content with that if I had a brush with a car.
    2002 Schwinn Aluminum Comp. Beater.
    2009 Gary Fisher Utopia - Commuter.
    2009 Trek 1.2.