Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ Well said.

I'm hoping my transmission heals enough to run the 5K this weekend. After that I'll try to ease into it more gradually.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    OK, I did a respectable 25:25 on the 5K. The legs were a little (OK, a lot) tight after the race but not too bad 8 hours later. I got on the bike for an easy 12 miles or so this afternoon to ride to and from a party to keep them loose.

weirdo
    Whooo! Did your wife race today?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Yup, she beat me by 35 seconds. You'll see by our finish photos, I look faster. The legs are a little stiff but SFSG on the second day. I like the races. Not crazy about the training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking -> Running -> Triathlon-brian-finish.jpg  

Biking -> Running -> Triathlon-kelly-finish.jpg  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Yup, she beat me by 35 seconds.
    Perfect!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I did another 5K last night. This time it was a trail run. It was the longest (and hottest) day 5K. My couch to 5K training seems to be: Get off the couch and run a 5K. My training miles total about 3 not including the races.

weirdo
    I hear that training method works well with a high malt diet
    Well, congratulations on another cross training effort. Did it leave you in pain?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    My after race pain level seems to drop every race. I just need to do them frequently enough to keep up a training schedule.

Oh, and I beat my wife by over a minute.

I'll work on the high malt diet after tonight's ride home. It's a sticky 88F here already at 10AM

Wanderer
    I did the classic biking alot to running mistake a while ago.

I have a nice 2 mile running trail in my neighborhood so I did the 2 mile loop and always felt good.

One day I wanted to keep going and for some unknown reason I had 10 in my mind as a goal.

2 miles: Felt great!
    4 miles: Felt great!
    6 miles: Felt great!
    8 miles: I don't feel so good ....
    9 miles: I feel like ****, my hip hurts bad but I'm close so I'm gonna make myself finish.
    10 miles: I felt like I had been in a bad bad bike wreck. I limped home and parts of my body were sore for a month.

Stupid running.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Ha. I did your couch to 5k method and ended up with a sprain. I'm finally progressing through my plan though, and my fiancee and I are talking about doing a 5k together at the end. I'm tempted to try to do it fast.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I did my first tri this weekend. It was unofficial meaning that somebody organized it, made the routes and at 8:30 yelled "GO". You had to keep your own time but it was a great non-threatening way to get into the sport. 1/4mi swim, 9 mile bike, 5k run. I did it in 1:07:50.

I've kept up my pattern of only running in races. So far I'd done four 5Ks and I'm definitely getting stronger and recovering faster. I can't imagine going out for a run when I have bikes to ride.

weirdo
    Pretty cool, Bedwards! The casual atmosphere does make it sound a lot less threatening, more fun. About how many people participated? Hopefully not too much of a zoo feeling. And I hoe you didnt blow it by comming in several seconds ahead of your wife again! It sounds like you enjoyed the event, but arent sold on making it into a new pasion?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I can't imagine going out for a run when I have bikes to ride.
    If that thought scares you, imagine spending your extra cash on a collection of running shoes when there are still tires available that you havent tried yet!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I think there were about 60 people which was just about right. Not too zooey but enough to be competitive with. I love the events. I'm just not sold on the running parts. I'm still trying to ease into it. I came in about 12 minutes ahead of my wife. We are definitely doing a "real" on sometime. Including the Shawnee Peak Great Adventure Race which seems like a short run except it is up the face of a ski mountain.

Edit: Better link:The Great Adventure Challenge at Pleasant Mountain | Bridgton, ME
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice work bedwards!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I did a FUN tri this weekend.

2.5 miles of kayaking: As my wife said, every year there are 2 people on sit on top kayaks...but they are never the same 2. That was us this year. Paddling our azzes off and at the back of the pack.

16 miles of cross country mountain biking: I moved from somewhere in the back 1/3 of the pack to #3 our of 100 or so in the bike section. Mostly a cross country course with not a whole lot of technical stuff but lots of superficial mud from the rain the night before.

2 miles of hiking: 1 mile up the mountain with a 1200' elevation gain then 1 mile back down.

I came in 3rd overall! Better than I imagined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking -> Running -> Triathlon-great-adv-tri-037.jpg  

weirdo
    Very cool
    Kayaking sounds more my speed than swimming, and hiking DEFINITELY sounds better than running, but did everybody actually walk the hike, or did most run it? And it sounds like most of the entrants were in single kayaks, or were you all in tandems?

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats, that's great. I agree with Rodar, the kayaking is definitely more tempting than swimming. We have one here with kayaking, but it's also in springtime in a cold river. It used to have xc skiing too but I think the snow was too unrelieable that late in the year.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I'm better in a kayak than I am swimming. My morning swims amounted to about 4 total this year. Not that the SUMMER IS OVER! We have a winter tri in southern Maine too. I may have to try it this year. I may try cyclocross next.

Here are a few more details and pics of the race: Great Adventure Challenge

Fat-tired Roadie
    I finally finished a 5k of my own. Or rather, one in competition. My regular run is probably a bit longer at this point.

Woohoo! 26:33, so a bit slower than yours. But my ankles aren't murdering me this morning, and that was the real thing I was worried about.

Amusingly enough, it made me a lot faster than most people at the event. I was worried at the start that my fiancee and I were too far forward, and we'd get tangled up with a bunch of faster people when the race started. But that turned out not to be the case.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Cool! I continue to almost never run unless in competition. 26:33 is a great time for a first 5K. I'm always surprised how close to the front of the pack I am for no training but we both have teh advantage of a lot of cardio on bikes.

I actually WON overall the last 5K I raced in. Dancing Trees Annual "winter warmth" 5K Road RaceIt really pays to run a race with few participants. It's really fun to win an organized race. Even if the time isn't world class.

I Ride for Donuts
    Just chiming in on my progress with running... I did the 'Tough Mudder' last weekend (11 miles, up to 8600ft of elevation). The event has something like 20 obstacles thrown in, which sounds brutal, but for the most part they were actually a nice break from the running. I had worked up to running 6 miles tops (I ran the commute a few times), but regularly ran 3.5 to 4 miles.

Knees felt good, legs felt good...after the event my upper body was more sore than my lower body, so I'm declaring success on the running. Now to find a motivator to keep it up...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ex-Clydesdale
    I've been biking for about 16 or 17 years now (and I'm 31, so over half my life). Four years ago or so I got into running, signed up for a marathon for my first race and trained for it for four months, ran that in 4:05 (if I remember right). Ran it last year at 3:35, but the half marathon is my favorite distance. Ran the Atlanta Publix Half back in March in 1:32:45, I've got the next one coming up next weekend on the 7th, but my run training has fallen off a lot since I started bike commuting a month ago, so we'll see, but I'm hoping under 1:35.

Also started doing tris a couple years ago, started off with a few olympics distance races, a few half-ironman distance, and did the full iron distance in 2010 at the Beach 2 Battleship in North Carolina in 12:40 or so (also did Ironman Louisville earlier in the year, but dropped out at mile 7 in the run from dehydration). Bike is my strong point in a tri, running isn't too bad, swimming is my weakness. I haven't done any this year though, spent my time with other things.

I think it really boils down to being a glutton for punishment and suffering.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Wow, nice times. So you pretty much run a half marathon at a faster pace than every participant in the 5K I did can run 3.2 miles.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. I figured out what my brothers pace was to just miss a 3:10 marathon. Decided I didn't need to know.

weirdo
    Good going, Andrew!

Dwayne, I`m not up on what`s good for marathon times, but 3:35 sounds awfully fast to me. What are the distances for full, half, and olympic length events?
    Good luck for next week!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast