mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Biking has hit me as passion

So after I decided how much I liked biking as a whole I thought why don't I commute. I've done it before just never continuously. I'm gonna give it a shot. Put my 1974 10 speed into use which hasn't been done in almost 2 years. On busy car crowded routes with no scenery(there aren't any scenic routes here) how do you guys pass the time? Any other commute tips?

Thanks in advance,
    -sfb12

mtbr member
    Keeping safe takes most of my attention. Some listen to tunes. Some try to better their times. Different street routes.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Hi, Sfb. Welcome to the whiney family Got any pics of that old horse?

Pass the time on 'busy car crowded routes"? Dodging the fenders is always a worthwhile time passer. I don`t know what kind of tips you`re in need of, so...
    plot out your route and try to ride it on a day off before you go live, give yourself plenty of time in case of unexpected happenings, wear bright stuff (lights are nice in traffic, even in the daytime), pay attention and ride safe, enjoy. Oh, even after you think you have your route figured out, keep an open mind to other options- you might find a better regular route, and eventually you`ll need a detour plan.

EDIT: the late Ken Kifer`s bike pages should be on your reading list, especially if your route is in nasty traffic:
    Bicycle Traffic Safety
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I Agree with BrianMc, I've been commuting 6-7 days a week for the last 5 years and keeping safe takes most of my attention as well. After a few close calls with opened car doors I tend to stay pretty alert. However, I do use an app to track my progress during my ride just to see if I've gained any speed from one week to the next. I use the map my ride app, it helps to make the ride a bit more interesting.

Moderator Moderator
    Well, you can always add to the poetry offerings here during routine sections or rough weather.

I Ride for Donuts
    I take pictures of deer. The live ones are harder to capture. I have no advice for "busy car crowded routes"
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I take pictures of deer. The live ones are harder to capture.
    Ya know, I bet that`s just as true with a lasso as it is with a camera!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try it out on friday I believe. I already know my 3 separate routes and I will make sure to stay safe.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I can't say I ever get bored when I'm riding urban routes. There're drivers to keep an eye on, frequent intersections, and, where I live, lots of hills to break things up.

If I ever get bored, it's riding MUPs that go for many hundreds of yards without a change in grade or scenery.

Good luck with your 10-speed! Don't bolt too much money to it. Not that I've ever gotten drawn into that pattern...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hi, Sfb. Welcome to the whiney family Got any pics of that old horse?

Pass the time on 'busy car crowded routes"? Dodging the fenders is always a worthwhile time passer. I don`t know what kind of tips you`re in need of, so...
    plot out your route and try to ride it on a day off before you go live, give yourself plenty of time in case of unexpected happenings, wear bright stuff (lights are nice in traffic, even in the daytime), pay attention and ride safe, enjoy. Oh, even after you think you have your route figured out, keep an open mind to other options- you might find a better regular route, and eventually you`ll need a detour plan.

EDIT: the late Ken Kifer`s bike pages should be on your reading list, especially if your route is in nasty traffic:
    Bicycle Traffic Safety
    I actually did take a picture of it yesterday.

Biking has hit me as passion-8f2dacbc-b7c1-446d-866e-dba73fa76df6-9523-000006b848e95a32_zpsa833f98d.jpg

mtbr member
    I like to pass the time on my ride by catching up on my podcasts. I don't know how many times I have laughed out loud during my ride. I'm sure other folks think I'm crazy or something, but what else it new?