Moderator Moderator

Bikeyface! When a Bike Bell Rings...

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 09-16-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    It works for pedestrians in my neighborhood. The environment has a lower background noise level. I get smiles. In NYC? Not surprised.

mtbr member
    "We're walking four abreast, taking up an entire trail, paying no attention to what's going on around us, and have an illegally offleash dog, but how about a bell, please?"

That's my only problem with bells - like helmets, they've become something morons use to judge cyclists. "On your left" is all that's legally required here, but it's not good enough for the self-deputized courtesy police.

This actually reminds me that I'm going to print off a couple copies of the bylaw to shove in peoples' faces next time it comes up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Technically, NJ law requires me to have a 'noise-making' device. Only the most pissed off cop would write you up for not having a bell, though.

Crane bells are some of my favorite, though. Their big brass dome makes a hell of a noise for the size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    Trolling people with a bike bell[/video]
    heh, I'm going to try that with the supermarket shelf stockers.

mtbr member
    Maybe on the shopping cart to get through people deciding to block the alley while they have a family reunion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Technically, NJ law requires me to have a 'noise-making' device. Only the most pissed off cop would write you up for not having a bell, though.

Crane bells are some of my favorite, though. Their big brass dome makes a hell of a noise for the size.
    I have a noise making device......Me.

mtbr member
    ^ The voice as sound device is something I wondered about and never bothered to look into (ad nauseam).

Current status in Indiana (local ordinances can differ county to county and between cities in the same county. Imagine car laws like that!):

Section 8 requires, "a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred (100) feet.

Bells and ringers can be a nuisance and can interfere with controlled, two-handed riding. Additionally, bells encourage bullying. In 2010, Senate Bill 0361 would have eliminated requirements for audible signals. The bill was assigned to the Committee on Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters, but never received a hearing.

So do the human vocal chords and associated air supply, constitute a 'device'?

Device definitions:

Device | Define Device at Dictionary.com

If 'made' includes evolution or divine creation, definition 1 applies.
    If the cyclist plans to use "On your left" then definition two also applies.
    If the officer thinks using your voice is being a 'wise-guy' approach to the word 'device' then the third definition of 'device' applies.
    If definition 4 includes speaking and hearing to evoke an effect, as one who heard a work being read or recited.
    The human vocal chords being unique among the primates for flexibility in use, would qualify as elaborately designed either by evolution or creation.

So as I see it all five definitions can be used for the human voice. The vocal chords are the device we speak and yell with. Maybe that's why I know of no enforcement.

So as long as one is not mute, and has a voice that can be heard at 100 feet, I think a court case would be successful defending the voice as the sole sound maker. Just don't ride with laryngitis unless you haul something like one of these:

ww.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Held-Very-Loud-Pump-Air-Horn-No-Gas-Sport-Events-Boating-Festivals-Football-/310722388098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48587f6082&vxp=mtr

I haven't gotten the speech about needing a bell. Now I am better prepared, should that occur.

I also learned that using the right arm to signal a right turn is not legal in Indiana. Given a local town cop did not know what the left one meant when pointing left, I suspect the crooked elbow left arm for right turn one hasn't a hope in h3ll. There is a definite unenforced lack of signaling by drivers wiht nice easy turn signals to use. I suspect that will only come up if there is an accident. In which case, the 'what do you think the right arm pointing right meant, you moron?' reasonable and usual rule would seem to apply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    "We're walking four abreast, taking up an entire trail, paying no attention to what's going on around us, and have an illegally offleash dog, but how about a bell, please?"

That's my only problem with bells - like helmets, they've become something morons use to judge cyclists. "On your left" is all that's legally required here, but it's not good enough for the self-deputized courtesy police.

This actually reminds me that I'm going to print off a couple copies of the bylaw to shove in peoples' faces next time it comes up.
    I'd give anything for the yahoos that pass me to give me an "on your left". I get that courtesy about once every thirty or forty riders or so. Bells are far less common, or even less commonly used anyway. Either is fine by me, but I almost always use my bell rather than voice, but I've got a nice bell and a gruff baritone, so...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    I have a noise making device......Me.
    I wonder if something like a Chris King hub counts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That second picture actually happened to me in Golden Gate Park of all places because motorists decided they wanted the bicycle lane for parking and blocked it off.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Useful and installed on my bike in the summer in the city/busy trails.

Useless and absent from my bike under all other circumstances.