Moderator Moderator

Bikecommuter Assaulted after Don't Ride on the Sidewalk comment

mtbr member
    A lot depends on what words were exchanged after the original comment. I imagine the victim was not a large person. A cyclist pushes me off my bike has made a very big mistake. A teaching moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    A lot depends on what words were exchanged after the original comment. I imagine the victim was not a large person. A cyclist pushes me off my bike has made a very big mistake. A teaching moment.
    size is not the only factor here, but you're right. sometimes you've gotta be ready for someone to turn on a dime and flip out, especially if they think they are more powerful than you are. I've confronted people on a few occasions (illegal dumpers, in particular) who have been bigger than me, but I'm very cognizant in those cases of taking a position to make myself intimidating, but also to protect myself if necessary. in some ways, you could say that I have "little dog syndrome".

I have also seen some evidence that a number of Brits have short tempers. hooliganism, if you will. for some of those people, I doubt it would take much to instigate that brawler mentality.

Cycle Psycho
    I just had to convince someone how riding on the sidewalk is unsafe. She just didn't believe me. Her entire argument was how she ONLY wanted to ride on sidewalks because she FEELS safer. It's a hard concept to argue sometimes. I mean, I had a lot of trouble convincing her how you'll run into pedestrians, and cars don't see you as they're pulling out of side streets, etc. I guess sometimes you just have to let people find out for themselves, the hard way, if they survive. It's a lot like arguing with someone to wear a helmet. You just have to live and let live.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I just had to convince someone how riding on the sidewalk is unsafe. She just didn't believe me. Her entire argument was how she ONLY wanted to ride on sidewalks because she FEELS safer. It's a hard concept to argue sometimes. I mean, I had a lot of trouble convincing her how you'll run into pedestrians, and cars don't see you as they're pulling out of side streets, etc. I guess sometimes you just have to let people find out for themselves, the hard way, if they survive. It's a lot like arguing with someone to wear a helmet. You just have to live and let live.
    Sometimes it is safer to ride on the sidewalk...

It depends on the road conditons and traffic...it depends on how fast and aggressive you ride....it depends on the traffic and sidewalk conditions.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post

It depends on the road conditons and traffic...it depends on how fast and aggressive you ride....it depends on the traffic and sidewalk conditions.
    You're right, and it's a confusing, weird thing. I used to live in a large city, with really wide sidewalks, and super-busy streets. It would seem the sidewalks were plenty accommodating for both pedestrians and cyclists. One day, a woman vehemently screamed at me, and threw a huge fit that I should be on the street, which was extremely busy and packed with traffic and no shoulder. I mean, it really upset her. I think I said, "on your left" or something as I approached at a slow and safe speed, but that sent her over the edge. I said nothing in response to her vulgar display of power, mostly because I was in shock. The next day, I rode on that same street, and nearly half or maybe 15% of the motorist honked and flipped me the finger for not riding on the sidewalk. So, sometimes it really is a no-win situation the way things currently are, in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post

Yeah, if you're the kind of rider who putters along barely faster than a walk, then the sidewalk is a better place for you. If you've got somewhere to be and you ride like it, the sidewalk is going to be a very dangerous place for you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Yeah, if you're the kind of rider who putters along barely faster than a walk, then the sidewalk is a better place for you. If you've got somewhere to be and you ride like it, the sidewalk is going to be a very dangerous place for you.
    We have very wide sidewalks in some of the industrial parks....roads plugged with trucks and semi's, and almost zero pedestrians...

Riding the sidewalks at 20 kph in those areas is the safe way to ride.