Thread: Bike snowplow

Bike snowplow

thought about rigging a plow up to my bike as I shoveled my rather large driveway today. took me a few hours by hand, so I think this would speed the process a bit. snow is fluffy today, so the work wasn't overly strenuous like the last snowstorm, which seemed to dump a few inches of slurpee.

Name:  a.aaa-Bike-plow_large.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  45.7 KB

All kidding aside, there are some pretty clever ideas in this Google Image search that look like they might actually work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bike...w=1322&bih=773
    Last edited by NateHawk; 01-03-2014 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey I was in Cowgary in the 90's! I owe those guys a pint for making the paths better back then.

weirdo
    Attatchment in OP doesn`t work for me

There was a link or two to a guy in VT (or NH?) selling bike plows a winter or two ago. Nate, I think we even discussed the traction issue here. But yeah, as long as the snow isn`t too wet and not much time goes by before hitting it, I imagine a bike towed plow would do a pretty good job.

Cool article!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ It was this video, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIHx1ozxYk

not sure why the pic in the OP broke, but I fixed it.

Using one of those industrial cargo trikes with a bunch of weight and some good traction would definitely help to make a bike plow that was actually viable. some of those v-shaped tow-behind plows were in that Google Image search link I posted and they're awful clever. Unfortunately, I don't think they'd be very easy to pull because you're having to go through all the snow BEFORE you plow it. Good for stability, I think. But not practicality.

There are also a couple of mid-mounted plows on Big Dummy/Extracycle bikes that look pretty cool. Honestly, though, I think a weighted trike with studs for traction, with an angled or v-shaped plow at the front would be more effective for clearing the driveway.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    not sure why the pic in the OP broke, but I fixed it.
    Thanks- looks like a nice setup.

Yeah, that part about riding over it before the plow reaches sounds bad, but maybe the lesser of two evils: compacted tracks V complicated and heavier apparatus. I think most of the tire rolled snow would come right up. Guessing an angled straight blade would be hard to contol, putting a lot of sideways force on the bike compared to a V, whether in pushed or pulled. Mid mount on a Dummy sounds good, but I didn`t see those. Anybody catch the "Sex Machine" plow on the second page of GI? I dunno why it came up under that search term, but I like it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Recalculating....

Here's the Dummy mid-mount

Bike snowplow-6830262629_950fb864ee_z.jpg

Bike snowplow-6830263243_867f39bc7c_b.jpg

I do like the v-shaped plow design better than an angled straight plow for stability. it seems to me that the angled design would only work in fluffy stuff. when it's that heavy, wet snow, that seems like it would just push the front of the bike sideways.

This seems like a possible solution to that issue, but I would want a way to weight it down with a big tub of sand or something.

Pedal Plow by livewombat, on Flickr

Might be worth a junker bike and a cheap snow shovel to tinker with. If I'm lucky, I might find one of those cargo trikes I could weight down for better traction. This would probably also be worth some DIY tire chains.

My issue with towing the plow blade has less to do with the compacted tire tracks and more to do with the fact that there would be a max limit for snowfall before the bike would not be able to pedal through it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    maybe I need to bring this to my city, I'd love to see certain trails plowed