mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bike for Commuting - Need Help

I am wanting to find a bike for a 6-7 mile commute.

Option 1) I will be riding 6 miles across semi paved roads. They are country back roads, so they are a bit patchy and rocky.

Option 2) I can ride 7 miles across roads that are a considerable bit better than the other road, but has much more traffic. Road is not as patchy bit will still have some rocks.

I am looking for a bike that is under $300. I have looked at the Trek 820 (I can get a new one for $275) and the Commuter Shimano 21 Speed Bicycle 700c.

I am 19 y/o. I am 6 feet and 1 inch tall. I weigh 152 lbs.

I appreciate any and all help. I have to go to class right now but i will be back in 3 hours to look over all suggestions and answer any questions.

Thanks!

mtbr member

RE: Bike for Commuting - Need Help

Rigid mountain bike, im riding a 1991 hoo Koo e Koo single speed back and forth from class and enjoying it
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    I personally like the rigid mountain bike with smooth or small knobbies. It gives me the best options as far as short cuts and playfulness. Not as fast as a 700c but certainly good for work outs and playfulness.

mtbr member
    Check out craigslist for bikes. You can probably find a decent one in your price range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Check out craigslist for bikes. You can probably find a decent one in your price range.
    Yeah. That is where I found the Trek. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupob6 View Post
    Rigid mountain bike, im riding a 1991 hoo Koo e Koo single speed back and forth from class and enjoying it
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    So are you saying go with the Trek?

weirdo
    6-01 and 152 lb? Get one fast and ride it to the buffet!

Do you have any bike right now? Chances are that will work for you and you can take your time looking for a good deal for your +1. I`m also a fan of both rigid mtbs and Craigslist. Do you really mean a NEW 820 or new-to-you? I thought they had retired that model number, but maybe not. If it`s an old one, it`d be a nice bike, though that price is at least twice what they go for around here. If you really do mean new, I have to say I don`t have much faith in brand new bikes in that price range. Maybe if it`s a single speed.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    the Trek 820 is a pile of junk. I worked for Trek dealers in the past and you get what you pay for in a new bike in that bike. you're better off getting a decent used bike (that fits you) and putting a few bucks into new tires.

if you found a used Trek 820, i would not pay more than $150 for it, regardless of age and condition.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the Trek 820 is a pile of junk.
    I was just about to cry blasphemy, but I checked and see that they do have a current bike they`re calling the 820. Can`t speak for the new bike, but if the 820 you`re looking at is one of the 80s or 90s Antelope models, it`s a reliable and durable workhorse. Like the Trek 720, Schwinn Prelude and Specialized Sequoia, it`s a totally different bike with an old name.
    Recalculating....

Yeah, not much separates the current 820 from department store bikes. If you buy it from a shop, you've got the shop standing behind it the best they can, and Trek tends to be a bit more responsive to customers than Pacific (own most box store bike brands), but that's about it. It really is Trek's attempt to pull some box store traffic to the LBS.

I worked at a Trek dealer several years ago and sold those mostly as campus beater bikes that get left in the rain all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I was just about to cry blasphemy, but I checked and see that they do have a current bike they`re calling the 820.
    the old 820 Antelope bikes are awesome. not particularly fast but very well made. they never die!

mtbr member
    Jeez, I just saw an 820 Antelope parked next to my '94 Marin at the Caribou Coffee this morning. I just had to snap a pic (click for larger view). These bikes are great to ride and hard to improve upon.

Bike for Commuting - Need Help-imag0412.jpg
    Joe
    Chicago, IL