Thread: Bike & Bus

Calmer than you are.

Bike & Bus

Ok, so I started commuting this past week via bike and bus. It's great, I save money, reduced my stress associated with driving in traffic, I am getting in shape, reduced carbon footprint, everything I'd read about. The only drawback is that our bus system in Phoenix, AZ only accommodates three bikes per bus! At least three riders per trip are turned away on my inbound and outbound commute. Has anyone experienced this and do you know of any solutions that are being implemented to accommodate more cyclists?
    thanks,
    M-

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Denver's RTD

I ride/ bus several times a week. The RTD buses (serves the greater Denver area including Boulder) have a rack on the front for two bikes. for the longer hauls they use Greyhound type buses and for those they'll put extra bikes underneath in the luggage area.

Bebe's Dad

wow!

I live in Mesa and my commute would be 25 miles each way. It's been about 110F lately so I think I'd need an I.V. and a 55 gallon drum of water just to stay hydrated to make that commute right now!
    How far do you commute to the bus stop?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Woohoo! More Phoenix/Mesa commuters!

A lot of the busses are being retrofitted with 3-bike racks, so expect the 2-slot versions to go away soon. Once the light rail opens (with room for 6 bikes per train car), that'll help. Also the time you get to the bus makes a huge difference too. When I use the "bus boost", I'm usually at the bus stop by 3:45, so I rarely have trouble getting a spot on the bike rack.

Also, as gas prices continue on their downward trend, you'll see less and less bike/bus commuters (I feel sorry for those who didn't get addicted to it!).

You could always get a Dahon/Bike Friday folder and take it on the bus with you!

Calmer than you are.
    Anyone have any idea why they dont allow bikes inside the bus. I know that the light rail will carry bikes inside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Royal We
    Anyone have any idea why they dont allow bikes inside the bus. I know that the light rail will carry bikes inside.
    Probably because the floor of the bus is up higher and you'd have to carry the bike in instead of rolling it.

I would just ride the entire distance. I find myself as fast or faster than the buses around here. But then if I rode the bus I'd miss out on the chance of getting run over by them.