mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which bike for big snow

We are supposed to get about 6-7" of snow late tonight and I really want to ride into work tomorrow. My commute is almost 10 miles each way of relatively flat terrain. I have a Salsa Mukluk with 4" tires that I like to ride in snow but its slow going for 10 miles, the other option I have is a Surly Big Dummy with 45nrth arcwelder tires 2.1" but the dummy has a bionx electric assist kit. I know the wider tires will be better but I thought with the electric assist that may be the better option since I have so far to go.

What should I ride?

Thanks,
    Mike

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'd ride the Mukluk. Just leave a bit earlier if need be. Never know what the conditions will be.

PRETENDURO
    Surly Pugsley, Surly Moonlander, Salsa Mukluk, 9:zero:7, On-One Fatty, Fatback, etc. They’ll all fare just fine in the snow. You just need to get used to the extra rolling mass of the wheels/tires, and also allow for more riding time.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ride my mukluk all the time and its even rocking the dillingers right now. My biggest issue is that I work 11hrs a day and have to race home to make it home in time to eat with my wife and toddlers so I thought with the bionx I might be able to make good time. What I really need to do is find someone here that can mod the big dummy to run a 4" wide tire!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Um, if you put 4" wide tires on a big dummy I think you'd have a bike that is slower then the mukluk for sure. Ride the mukluk unless you have to bring a file cabinet with you...

Moderator Moderator
    If you have a car or bus optionI for part of the trip (or one way), maybe a shorter commute would be just as enjoyable without impinging on family time or rushing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I dont own a fat bike but I ride in the snow here in Illinois quite often. I ride a bianchi san jose or salsa fargo depending on how i feel. In my experience your going to be a lot slower regardless of the bike you ride. the roads are going to suck and and any trails are going to be covered in snow so take the fat bike it will make the ride more enjoyable.