mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big Apples or Thudbuster???

Hey all,

I commute on a Karate Monkey, which I love. I used to commute on a Cross Check but found that I really preferred the Monkey.

Anyways, the Monkey (as many of you know) is stiff! Riding to and from work I hit some nasty pavement with lots of pot holes. I do my best to avoid them but you know how it goes. I am looking to smooth out the ride a little. I was thinking about 2 options.

1. Replace my 700x40 Michelin Cities with 2.0" or 2.35" Big Apples for some cushion.

2. Add a suspension post either a thudbuster or a Suntour Parallelogram post.

What do you think? Post or Tires? Ideally I'd be able to do both but which would provide more cushion? Which would/did you choose?

Thanks,
    Winky

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the 2.35 BA's on my rigid 29er commuter. Part of my commute is on a fairly nasty dirt road, and I don't wish for a suspension post. The BA's are pretty cushy. They will be night and day different from 700x40 tires of any type. I had 700x35's on the last bike... The BA's at 25 or 30 PSI are rediculous. Slower, but worth it. If speed is a major factor for you, I'd consider the suspension post...otherwise I highly reccomend the BA's. They roll fast once you get them up to speed. I assume speed is not a huge factor or you'd still be on the cross check.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks CommuterBoy,

Yeah, I'm not worried about speed or weight.

As far as the Big Apples go, have you ridden the 2.0? If so can you comment on the difference between the sizes? I'm leaning toward the 2.35's, more cushion for the pushin!

Thanks again,
    Winky

Fat-tired Roadie
    That's already a pretty big tire.

What pressure?

Are you doing all the usual stuff to smooth them out, or just keeping your butt planted on the saddle where it will be jackhammered?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    Yeah, I'm not worried about speed or weight.
    Go for the Big fat Apples.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    go with the 2.35 Big Apples, get them as big as you can

I have them on my commuter also, and not a ride for the last 2 years has gone by that at some point during the ride I am amazed what a nice, stable, cushy feel these tires have

I run mine at 25 rear and 20 front, and they soak up the rough stuff

They are also very flat resistant, although I have had several flat from goatheads..I was following commuterboy's threads on going tubeless with the BA's and that is the next project for me

One Colorful Rider
    Schwalbe FAT FRANKS!

I Ride for Donuts
    I have not ridden the 2.0's...only the 2.35's, so I can't comment on the difference. I did set them up tubeless (Gorilla Tape and homebrew sealant) and I am at about the 1500 mile mark (?) with zero flats...Living in goathead country, this is huge. They are very puncture resistant regardless of tubeless-ness. I had a slow seepage at the bead on the front tire the first time I set them up...but when I pulled them off to recharge the sealant and clean out the boogers, they both sealed up super tight when I put them back on. No seepage and no air loss. Tubes lose air much faster than these tires set up tubeless.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Another Retro Grouch
    ...Post or Tires?...
    I choose a Thudbuster and lighter tires. BA's are ~1kg each...35mm Panasonic Pasela TG weigh 440gms. That's a big difference for tires. Those Michelins ride like a solid rubber tire, almost any tire is better than them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm putting some Maxxis Hookworms on the pugsley we will see how that goes!!!!!!!!

namagomi
    Big apples, a large tire will dampen the vibrations for your hands also....just get your ass off the seat if you're going to hit a pot hole.... you are a mtb'r!

mtbr member
    Big Apples -- the wider of the two sizes -- will raise your standover height by about an inch. I recall the KM having a pretty high standover to begin with.

You will get a suspension effect from the Big Apples -- if you run low enough pressure. I believe I ran mine at either 25 or 30 psi. They are heavy though, and you'll notice the rolling resistance at those lower pressures. It's pretty cool though to get enough "suspension" from your tires that you can actually feel the bike bob sometimes.

Anyway, the above has been my experience, fwiw. I 've never run a thudbuster, so can't comment on those.

FWIW, I moved away from the Big Apples for reasons of weight and traction. A lot of my riding is a mix of road and ATV trails, and the Big Apples lack of tread is sometimes a disadvantage on a trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Start with going to the Big Apple, if that does not do it for you get a Thud. Thud's rock!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey all,

I commute on a Karate Monkey, which I love. I used to commute on a Cross Check but found that I really preferred the Monkey.

Anyways, the Monkey (as many of you know) is stiff! Riding to and from work I hit some nasty pavement with lots of pot holes. I do my best to avoid them but you know how it goes. I am looking to smooth out the ride a little. I was thinking about 2 options.

1. Replace my 700x40 Michelin Cities with 2.0" or 2.35" Big Apples for some cushion.

2. Add a suspension post either a thudbuster or a Suntour Parallelogram post.

What do you think? Post or Tires? Ideally I'd be able to do both but which would provide more cushion? Which would/did you choose?

Thanks,
    Winky
    Do you know of a good vendor/ pricing information on that Suntour post? I had been looking at the Thudbuster for my hardtail commuter, but would be interested in that as another option.

More than a little slow
    I used a thudbuster for a few years, along with a front shock. Loved it.
    Got rid of the fork, went rigid and didn't appreciate the thudbuster as much. I felt like it was throwing me forward on hits.
    Anyway I don't know if this is your setup ( rigid fork ) but it's something to think about.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    I used a thudbuster for a few years, along with a front shock. Loved it.
    Got rid of the fork, went rigid and didn't appreciate the thudbuster as much. I felt like it was throwing me forward on hits.
    Anyway I don't know if this is your setup ( rigid fork ) but it's something to think about.
    I ride a Trek 8900 hardtail MT bike with a Tora 289 80-130mm travel fork. I know it's not your typical commuter, but I had it, and I've ridden it quite a bit in the past so I'm comfortable commuting on it. The big reason I'm looking at a suspension post is because the area I commute here in Norfolk VA is bad traffic with bad drivers so I spend a lot of time back and forth between sidewalk and street. And a lot of the sidewalks edges are curbs, not ramps...I bunny hop them mostly, but it is still a little rough when your burned down.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I LOVE my Suntour springy post. It is stupid and ugly and weighs a lot, but I LOVE it. I would rather add weight to the seatpost than to add rotating mass any day of the week.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CornbredNE
    Do you know of a good vendor/ pricing information on that Suntour post? I had been looking at the Thudbuster for my hardtail commuter, but would be interested in that as another option.
    Directly from Doug at Suntour USA - This is the best suspension seatpost ever made in the history of the world:SR SUNTOUR

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here's my '08 KM w/ BA's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Apples or Thudbuster???-tyd-surly-km.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love the 2.35 Big Apples on my Karate Monkey commuter.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by justin51
    I'm putting some Maxxis Hookworms on the pugsley we will see how that goes!!!!!!!!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my hookworms 2.5" (~2.4" in reality)
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.