mtbr member
    Aug 2008

We the people ... Bicycle crash statistics

We are all bicycle commuters here and many of us literally put our lives at risk every time we head out the door. I recently participated in the Bicycle Transportation Alliance bike commute challenge and someone posted up in a news blog there this link to a summary of bicycle collisions in Portland, Oregon.

http://www.commissionersam.com/files...d%20102607.pdf

I thought it was useful information that others here might be able to relate to. It points out the most common causes of (reported) collisions. I figured thinking about those situations that are most likely to get you wacked would help to generate preventive solutions.

Comments? Does anyone else have statistics or studies like this to reference?

Stay safe, all!

In the rear with the beer
    Are the right and left hooks when a car tries to make the turn before you get there?
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    Disregarding my previous question. I read the rest of the report and it describes them. I like the bike box idea...
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm undecided about the bike box. I suspect having a bike pass a car while they are waiting for a light and then pull in front would anger a lot of ignorant drivers and actually harm the image of bikes. I can just hear these idiots ranting to their friends about these *@$! bikes that think they own the road.

Maybe it would work just fine but I think the reason it works in Europe is because drivers there are not as hostile to bikes and because there are so many bikes.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    I'm undecided about the bike box. I suspect having a bike pass a car while they are waiting for a light and then pull in front would anger a lot of ignorant drivers and actually harm the image of bikes. I can just hear these idiots ranting to their friends about these *@$! bikes that think they own the road.
    I can see that reaction if there was no 'bike box'...but if the road is clearly marked it's not arguable...the bikes DO own the road at that point. I would imagine it would take about 3 months before it was completely accepted.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    I've read about the bike box somewhere before, and I think it's a great idea. Though as mentioned previously, Europe is a lot more cycle-centric than we are here in the USA. Wonderful idea, but will it ever fly? In the meantime, stay safe and ride defensively!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm not sure how well the bike box would work in Fort Wayne. Most people stop a car length or more in front of the white lines to begin with. I think they'd just get ignored by motorists and more of us would get hit.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I participated in that too. We've had a representative at our office a couple times this month.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Bike boxes and mini bike lanes leading into bike boxes serve as nothing more than colourful decoration here in London, I have to wrestle, wiggle and push my way around cars or my commute would be trebbled in duration...
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    Bike boxes and mini bike lanes leading into bike boxes serve as nothing more than colourful decoration here in London, I have to wrestle, wiggle and push my way around cars or my commute would be trebbled in duration...
    I see that happening here in the US too. We have bike lanes along some roads...passing lanes is what they are used for by motorists. I wonder the feasibility of lining the bike lanes with concrete barriers? Or possibly bike only roads? I dunno....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't like bike specific areas on the roadway. It makes motorists think that bicycles will only be there and limits how far from the right one can ride. You feel an obligation to remain in the bike lane, even though it is too close to hazards. The city put a bike lane along a road but cars park right next to it so the entire bike lane is in the door zone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I don't like bike specific areas on the roadway. It makes motorists think that bicycles will only be there and limits how far from the right one can ride. You feel an obligation to remain in the bike lane, even though it is too close to hazards. The city put a bike lane along a road but cars park right next to it so the entire bike lane is in the door zone.
    Or cars just park on the bike lane, so you must enter the car lanes every 100 feet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I agree w/ Schmucker. Bike lanes only serve to get bicycles out of the way of motorists. They do nothing for the cyclist's safety.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A rear mirror on bic did help prevent accident for cyclist. But many cyclist ignore this fact for pure vanity of their bic and rubbish fact that adding a rear mirror will make u appear a novice cyclist!

http://www.signatureride.com/PRtwomirrors.html

No-Brakes Cougar
    The main problem I find on the road around here is that motorists simply can't follow lines. They drive in the bike lane, on the shoulder, stop halfway out in the intersection, etc...
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Yup, they did that in a few areas around Milwaukee when I lived there...pretty brilliant, huh?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was hit 2 times when commuting in college -- both times a right hook. But, in both cases, drivers were heading into a parking lot rather then turning at an intersection. The boxes do no good for that. Both times, they passed by and then hit the brakes and turned. I was lucky that I hit them, I suspect it would have been way worse if they hit me with the front of the car.

This happened in San Diego, and neither driver was sited. Amazing. I was furious both times, and that probably made matters worse.