mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Assault with a deadly weapon, and hit and run gets nothing more than 25 hours of community service, and anger management classes? In GA, that's two felonies. Dude belongs in jail.

mtbr member
    Agreed, especially since the perp was a former cop.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Youve reminded me of my biggest fear..being whacked by a car and left for dead
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    i feel sick.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    This is just wrong.....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Diehl, 57, was ordered to perform 25 hours of community service, undergo anger management counseling, complete a driversí safety course, attend alcohol and drug treatment if necessary. He has until April 2, 2014, to fulfill those requirements.
    I didn't see lost his privilege to drive for xxx time on that list. I'm glad they didn't see the need to take him off the road.

mtbr member
    One wonders if they found him and convinced him to turn himself in. The Blue line holds. I suppose the cyclist would need to be permanently maimed or killed to get a more severe penalty. Getting caught with recreational weed has a higher penalty. Are we screwed up or what? I wonder if the cyclist was happy with the insurance settlement. They attempted to screw me over.

Comments on the commentary: I would not call that middle of the lane. He was at a reasonable anti-dooring distance. I also see no issue with riding the right lane until the parked cars are visible, then plan to move over as traffic allows. Later video does not suggest that there was a solid line of cars behind making that unwise. When he was first verbally abused, he was still alongside the parked cars, but he was clear to go right and avoid the sideswipe when it was started. Even braking would have saved him as I see the video. There is assertion of rights then there is letting them run you over.

I doubt a 'Careful!" would have helped but it might have been so unexpected that it made the driver knock it off. Once the collision was avoided I think the 'finger' after he was by would be appropriate. It would be interesting if such a driver had the time to stop for a talk about freedom of speech when he felt he was being held up with and empty left lane... A photo of his plate...a 911 call... while he walks back from his parked truck.

BrianMc
    Last edited by BrianMc; 04-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I know people that, had that happened to me, would make sure he didn't drive for a while. No blood -- just chronic and recurring mechanical "failures". (and of COURSE, they'd know where he lived....)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Trouble is he is an ex-cop and video surveillance is cheap.

BrianMc

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Trouble is he is an ex-cop and video surveillance is cheap.

BrianMc
    It's also just a plain ol' bad idea. I've considered this for cars where I know where the driver lives. Every time you interact you risk an additional chance of getting caught. Nope, it's better to hit once, hit hard, and let it be, if you're going to do anything at all. Revenge is also a dish best served cold and unexpected. It also gives you a chance to think it through whether it's really worth doing or not.