mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New question here. Better headlamp beam pattern for road commuting than Niterider Lumina 650?

I have a 5.5 mi commute each way that has street lights for most of the ride, though I have not done it at night yet.

I just bought a Niterider 650 Lumina to be sure I could light up the road as well as be seen with a Cygolite Hotshot in the year. It maybe total overkill on the lumen rating when at high.

However, the beam pattern on this Niterider is completely round, which seems more suited to off-road/trails than what I'd expect as a more automobile-like wide beam pattern.

I'm aware of the Philips Saferide headlight which was in the 2012 headlight shootout and has a wide beam pattern, but it is almost double my budget and not having a flash mode seems like a bit oversight by Philips.

Anyone else have a good recommendation of a different headlamp meeting my budget of $100 or under with a better beam pattern or one that they'd suggest after using it for commuting on the roads for a while now?

Thanks-
    Last edited by nostra; 11-04-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use a Magicshine MJ816E, usually with just the floods on the road. You could probably get a cheap XM-L headlight from Ebay or Amazon for $35 and fit it with a wide lens like this one.

mtbr member
    I use a Cygolite Expilion 350 which is $75 on Amazon. Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 350-Lumen USB Rechargeable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors. I've been very satisfied with it, as I have been in rural areas after dark (no street or security lights) and I saw everything I needed to see while traveling at a fast rate of speed. I estimate that I had more than a half mile visibility at times on the highest setting. I also like that it is USB rechargeable.
    Since you looking for a light under $100, the Cygolite Expilion 400 is right there at $100 on Amazon. Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 400 Usb Rechargeable Headlight with Quick Release Li-Ion Battery Stick and Wall Charger: Sports & Outdoors

Ex-Clydesdale
    Here are a series of beam shots (not taken by me) that show different lights with horizontal cutoffs similar to the Philips.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1030147...547/Bikelights

The Trelock is probably closest to your price range. From what I've been reading, it's a nice light, but the mount is rubbish and constantly slips.

I'm waiting for the updated Philips Saferide to come out, higher capacity batteries, longer runtime, and an improved mount. Pricey, yes, but so far it seems to be the standard by which others are measured.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Did I catch a niner?
    I just snagged two of the new Cateye Nano Plus lights (600 claimed lumens each on high). They seem like a solid light and can be charged via usb which is handy while at work and home.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fenix BT-10. It has a beam pattern like Philips but is cheaper.

Fenix LED Bike Light - BT10 350 Lumens Fenix-Store.Com

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    Fenix BT-10. It has a beam pattern like Philips but is cheaper.

Fenix LED Bike Light - BT10 350 Lumens Fenix-Store.Com
    "pucked up" posted some beamshots of the BT20 in this thread:
    User review Fenix BT20

It's nothing like the Saferide, it's pretty much exactly like most of the other symmetrical beam lights out there as far as upward light spill and glare goes. A little refraction on the front lens is nothing like an offset emitter with an aimed reflector setup like Philips uses.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Try pointing the Lumina lights further down the road. I have the Pro 600 cordless and am very happy with the pattern on the road. If you aim it so the circle of light starts about 6 feet in front of your bike it gives a really nice pattern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by in2theforest View Post
    I use a Cygolite Expilion 350 which is $75 on Amazon. Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 350-Lumen USB Rechargeable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors. I've been very satisfied with it, as I have been in rural areas after dark (no street or security lights) and I saw everything I needed to see while traveling at a fast rate of speed. I estimate that I had more than a half mile visibility at times on the highest setting. I also like that it is USB rechargeable.
    Since you looking for a light under $100, the Cygolite Expilion 400 is right there at $100 on Amazon. Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 400 Usb Rechargeable Headlight with Quick Release Li-Ion Battery Stick and Wall Charger: Sports & Outdoors
    I use the cygolite 400, not sure if the beam pattern is wide as what the poster is asking for but it is bright and has decent battery life. Plus if you want to get an extra batter it wont cost you an extra 100$ for it. I leave mine on medium at night.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know about you guys, but, a flashing headlight gives me a headache. Then again, nothing identifies you out on the open road as a cyclist like a flashing headlight so I have one on my bike when riding at night. Thing is, I run a much brighter main headlight so I almost don't see the flashing light at all. Mine is a cheap Sigma one given to my because I participated in an organized cycling event recently and I only run it on the flashing mode as its not bright enough to light up the road for a brisk walking pace let alone while riding. My main light is a modified Minewt Mini-USB putting out around 180 lumens.

Almost all of the non-European bike headlights have round beam patterns because we are not required by law to have lights with a sharp cut-off like they do in Germany (and probably other parts of Europe, too).

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, I like a light with the flashing mode but generally just use that at dusk, or in bad weather, or as a daytime running light on busier roads. Once it's actually dark I switch to non-flashing high mode.