Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best waterproof jackets for commuting?

I'm in a market for a new waterproof jacket and there's a great deal of info out there....looking for folks who have used products and their thoughts. Thought others might be in the same boat right now with the changing seasons.

Info to share:

The jacket name:

Is it really waterproof?

Breathability: It's like wearing a garbage bag...or it does really breathe.

Temps you have used it in ( I am in a moderate climate Nor California).

Price.

Thanks in advance to those who share info.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the PI P.R.O. Barrier jacket. It breathes very well, and is quite waterproof... if you do what PI says to keep the arms waterproof. They happen to neglect that information with the jacket so you'll have to contact them with their recommendations. The thing with rain wear is you have to get an expensive one to get it to breath well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    eVent is the best material for breathability today. REI recently had a running one on sale for about $90.

namagomi
    They're all basically garbage bags! You start sweating from working hard - you start getting wet.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I use an REI Taku. It stayed totally waterproof for a couple years. Still waterproof enough for Oregon. If you don't get wet from outside, you will get wet from the inside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've gone softshell for Oregon. You get wet, but it's pleasant outside wet rather than my body juices wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i bought a montagne jacket with eVent fabric, and i have to admit the breathability is considerablly better than the other junk i have worn in the past. there is a 4 block long hill at the end of my office commute, and on a wet day wearing the montagne i can make it past the 3rd block before the sweat starts inside and i get clammy. in the past with the older waterproofs, the body starts to steam up middle of the first block. so the eVent fabric breathes a bit better but not totally great.

i am thinking maybe trying a rain cape instead.

jrm
    mtbr member

REI Sierra Designs Microlight Jacket -

Its a great all round season jacket for Oakland weather. They repel rain pretty well and have ventilation opening ins in the pits and on the sides. I think it cost about $40.

http://www.rei.com/product/772609

mtbr member
    I have a Endura Flyte Jacket, cost me 90

2 Years of commuting in it, Its seen some of the heaviest rain the uk has to offer, snow, -10 degree conditions. I've only run with a baselayer and t combo underneath in winter and found myself more than warm enough.

I can honestly say it deals with moisture inside extremely well, and stops the rain coming in. I completely recommend to anyone! However as always Jackets are a personal choice!
    Last edited by crazychimpjimbo; 10-22-2010 at 01:48 AM.
    Custom Giant OCR T-Mobile Edition
    On-One Scandal 29'er Project on the go

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    that looks really nice
    need more bikes...

mtbr member
    Regardless of what anyone says, there's nothing better than Gore-Tex. Unfortunately, you pay a hefty price.
    There's not a fabric out there that has the breathability and waterproofness that Gore-Tex can offer. There's also not a fabric manufacturer out there that has the history that Gore has, especially in the medical field.
    I know, because I work for one of the best outdoor clothing manufacturers in the world.
    eVent is one of the better fabrics out there, but take a look at it under a microscope (I have) and it doesn't compare to Gore-Tex for breathability.

Wish the stuff wasn't so damn pricey.

mtbr member
    Maybe roger you should say what you intend on spending so people can advise you better!
    I searched long and hard reading reviews as my budget was 100.
    Custom Giant OCR T-Mobile Edition
    On-One Scandal 29'er Project on the go

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Boise Jim
    Regardless of what anyone says, there's nothing better than Gore-Tex. Unfortunately, you pay a hefty price.
    There's not a fabric out there that has the breathability and waterproofness that Gore-Tex can offer. There's also not a fabric manufacturer out there that has the history that Gore has, especially in the medical field.
    I know, because I work for one of the best outdoor clothing manufacturers in the world.
    eVent is one of the better fabrics out there, but take a look at it under a microscope (I have) and it doesn't compare to Gore-Tex for breathability.

Wish the stuff wasn't so damn pricey.
    I don't know about looking through an electron microscope or anything, but I can tell you from my experience, that eVent seems to vent a lot better and keeps me cooler than my Gore-tex stuff ever did. It was noticeable enough for me to sell off all my Gore-tex and replace it with eVent. The most noticeable was in shoes. I wear Teva's eVent shoes nearly every day and they aren't much warmer than non-waterproof shoes. When I had Gore-tex shoes, they were relegated to cool weather only as my feet sweat pretty heavily.

canuck
    Showers Pass.

What It Be ?
    I just ordered up an Endura Venturi II I'll post up and let you guys/gals know how it does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Marmot PreCip rain jacket...

Cheap
    Light
    Made well
    Works in warm and cold weather
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    I just picked up the Endura Gridlock coat, it has been doing a good job in the mornings its been in the mid 20s, i wear a base with a t over, the vents under the arms and the adjust ability is a really nice feature.

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    I find myself in the exact same boat as you looking for a good jacket.
    One of my wants is a hood to go over the helmet. I saw the Luis Garneau Seattle jacket and might give it a go. No experience with it, just a suggestion...
    $100 - $130
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0#ReviewHeader

ditchtroll
    Oct 2010
    Froggtoggs Toadz Horny Toadz High Vis Green...
    $90

Water Proof it is; I rode through an epic downpour for about 6 miles, 40 degrees Farienhight totaly dry with the exception of hands n feet.

I can get away with wearing it over my work clothes without sweating hardcore...

Plus it is super bright, I mean it hurts my eyes to look at it. Also it has reflective areas on the back and most outline seems. It will draw attention...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My softshell choice failed me completely a couple days after I posted in this thread. I saw that Shower's Pass had their original "Club" on sale for a killer price so I got one. Features are low, breathability is low. But as a hardshell rain jacket, it is really close to perfect. I've been absolutely soaked on two rides with it, and find that it's about 95% waterproof. One rainstorm did cause the zipper and flap combo to leak. Another had the pit zips start to capillary in. But the absolutely miserable becomes bearable again.

mtbr member
    You know, after becoming 100% water-logged, you come to find that you're fully waterproof again. LOL

OP may have already found their jacket, but here's a few jackets that are interesting to me anyway.Here's a thread with interesting points about GoreTex Pro, Schoeller c_change, and eVent.

For me, I've been using a P.I. Barrier Convertible Jacket ($150). Good in a mild shower. Breathes well enough, but when I start to exert real hard I believe I start sweating more than it can vent... and that may be the case with a lot of jackets. No pit zips in mine, so I have to zip down the front to let in cool air if I start to get too clammy.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Don't screw around. Showers Pass.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    Don't screw around. Showers Pass.
    their stuff looks nice...
    what's your 'kit', and how well does it work?
    How should I size it?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    Same w/ Endura...how is that stuff sized?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I have the Double Century. I ride year-round in the Seattle area which means I ride in wet conditions a lot. This jacket performs very well. Good breathability, plenty of vents. The Double Century is a very lightweight jacket which works well for me, I can layer up underneath it. There is a sizing chart on the website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast