mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Best Urban Child Bike Seat

The season is coming up where I'll be shuttling my kid to pre-school by bike. I've used the Wee Ride, and like the placement of center of gravity. But I don't like the fact that I can't stretch my legs out with the child seat on or else I can't touch the floor at a stop. The rear rack carriers are rear heavy which can throw your balance off. Trailers are out of the question because I'll be driving within close proximity to cars and trucks.

I just wanted to throw this out there- which child carrier do you use and what do you think of the the best and worst features, especially safety for safety?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pretty much any carrier you choose are going to have its drawbacks. In return you get to carry an extra passenger on a vehicle that was originally designed for one person. You've pretty much listed the major flaws of each type of carrier so it is going to come down to what are you willing to sacrifice.

I have a rear rack carrier on one of my bikes. I use it to take my 35 pound 3 year old for trips on weekends.

What I believe to be the best features of a rear rack carrier are:
    It allows me to ride in traffic.
    The weight of the carrier alone is only a few pounds.
    I'm able to communicate with my child.
    The rear carrier doesn't directly interfere with my ability to control/steer the bike.

What I believe the worst features to be are:
    It throws off the center of gravity (not a huge issue but something worth noting).
    I don't like how my son's head dangles when he falls asleep (however, he is comfortable enough that he falls asleep on almost every trip we take).
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А