mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best large volume commuting tire

What is your recommendation for a large volume commuting tire in 700c x 34c-40c size that would fit a cyclocross bike. I want a smooth tread tire, that is large enough to smooth out broken urban pavement, and with decent puncture resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They're not cheap, but i really like my marathon Mondial tires from Schwalbe. Only punctures I've had are from screws or nails, and nothing but tubeless can deal with those.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like my panaracer pasela tourguard, 700 x 35. Slight siping on it, wears well.

jrm
    mtbr member
    clement explor HST or MSO. I run the 35c on my CX and theyre great tires.

I'd rather be on my bike
    34 being the minimum? I really like my Continental Gatorskins so far. I think 32 is as wide as they come though.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3019/2500

mtbr member
    I am on a similar quest. I have not tried any of the following tires but here are some options I am considering:

Conti Speed Ride 42mm (narrower than their labeled size)
    Challenge Gravel Grinders in 38mm
    Panaracer Ribmo line- the PT version seems to be the best weight
    anything with "hardcase" from Bontrager is very tough
    Vittoria Rando tires are uber-tough

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I am happy with Schwalbe CX Comp 700x35C. So happy that I run the 26" x 2.0" version on my commuter mountain bike, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x38c tires look great: Voyager Hyper - Vittoria.com

I'm using a 700x38 Hyper on a one cyclocross bike and a 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Dureme on another. The Hyper is clearly lighter, more supple and faster feeling. The Hyper is tough enough for touring, and has good traction on roads and dry gravel. The Dureme is very tough, with good traction on firm, wet gravel and might last longer. Both tires have been flat free and will last several thousand miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I finally decided on these in 700 x 37

Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro City Tire

Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro City Tire

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How do you like the Vittoria's. I have them in a 700x 28, good traction and tough. I have also been considering the larger volume 37s as the shoulders and bike lanes around here are looser than I would like.

I'd love even a first impression, before I take the plunge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are great, but only 35c (not 37c like it states on the web-link). Even so they are great tires for $25 each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks EriK.
    Is that 35 on the label, or 35 by the calipers? What kind of pressure will they take?
    Last edited by Rustedthrough; 1 Week Ago at 05:23 PM. Reason: Misspelled name

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My kid has a bike with 26 x 1,5 Ribmo. She bikes to school 2 or 3 days a week and uses it at weekends to go to the park with her mates so it gets plenty of use the tires are 5 years old and never had 1 puncture. Reasonably fast rolling too. Cant fault them

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    700 x 35c on the label. the seem to be about 33-34c actual width on narrow "Open Pro" rims. They are fine between 60 and 90 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Thanks EriK.
    Is that 35 on the label, or 35 by the calipers? What kind of pressure will they take?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Excellent. Thanks again Erik. I'll look forward to some new treads on Santa's sleigh.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ok, twice in one week I flatted twice on my commute. Got tired of that REAL quick. Not a lot of shops locally carry cross tires that sell for less than $60 each and none that had any that would stand up to commuting or afforded any degree of puncture resistance. I stopped by Performance Bikes to stock up on tubes since I went through a couple in one week. While I was there I saw some tires that resembled the old Ritchey Alfabite trail mix tires I used to love to ride. The tire is their Greenway-K in 700Cx40. It has a continuous tread in the center and knobs on the edges. Rolling resistance is pretty low, better than the Bontrager LT3's I've been running. I got to work this morning and after changing got to looking at my tires and found two big goat heads embedded in the tires. Neither made it through the Kevlar belt. I haven't run them off road yet but have been more than happy so far on the road and bike trails. They corner real well too. Best part is I got em on Black Friday and they were 30% off the already ridiculously low price. Most of the other true cross tires I've tried work great off road but wear too quickly for commuting.