Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Best gloves for winter?

What gloves do you use (recommend)? I have managed to keep everything else warm so far, but my hands got numb tonight on my ride home from work.

Moderator Moderator
    I gave up on gloves and switched to pogies,(handwarmers that attach to the bars) and it is much easier to keep my hands warm with them. Before I gave up, I did learn a few things. Beware most "winter bike gloves", they are often barely insulated if at all and only suitable for around or above freezing. Always check the spec for insulation type, you need something more than fleece.

My favorites were a pair of lobster type gloves from ebay that looked like they were made for snowmobiling. I would add a thin liner glove and a chemical warmer pack (hothands, etc.) if needed. Mountaineering or ski gloves are worth a look because some are warm but retain some dexterity; but again, some are not very warm on the bike where your arms are still and in the teeth of the wind.

An extra longsleeve layer will also keep your hands warmer, and may be worth trying even if you have to unzip a layer to keep your core from overheating.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Beware most "winter bike gloves", they are often barely insulated if at all and only suitable for around or above freezing.
    ^^Agree. And if I had flatbars, I`d get a set of pogies for sure! But I doubt they`d play well with drops and my standard cabled (not aero routed) brake levers.

I had good luck with mitten shells over wool gloves, then got a pair of Goretex/Thinsulate mittens on closeout that are a little easier to get on and off and a little more comfortable, but still go back to my shells + woolies when it gets down to single digits (on the yankee/gringo scale). Last year I started using insulated motorcycle gloves for temps down to mid 20s, and I like them too.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Ski gloves/mitts can be had for a fairly small sum. They come in all shapes, sizes, features, prices. Mitts keep hands warmer than gloves and I would imagine that pogies do a better job still.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I go all out and wear winter mittens. My hands get sweaty toward the end of my commute, but my fingertips don't feel like they're going to freeze off in the first half. I still have enough dexterity to operate my brakes and shifters (Soras). It's been 20s to low 30s here.

I just got curious and started looking up pogies and found something claiming to be "road bar pogies" although they look more like a small windshield for your hands. Maybe it's enough.

edit: hmm, also Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort .

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I ride with these and have been very happy:

http://www.sugoi.com/usa/bike/access...l-z-glove.html

The coldest we usually get around here is low 30's. The rare times it gets colder, I put on snoboard mittens over a regular pair of long finger riding gloves.

Still want a fat bike....
    I think for winter the biggest thing is to have something windproof. Gore has plenty of options depending on how much you want to spend, but I am leaning towards the bar mitt option since I can wear a thin glove and keep the wind off and not sweat too much.

I'd actually like to hear from bar mitt people as to how warm they are. They seem pretty open and really more of their own little shell to keep a pocket of heat, but a lot of ventilation. Is that pretty much it?
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i bought a pair of 20-30 dollar gloves from a local sports store about 5 years ago for snow shoeing and ive used them for the last 2 years everyday for commuting. they are way warmer than any cycling glove ive tried.

Ex-Clydesdale
    I've been using a pair of Planet Bike Borealis gloves for the past week. Not using the inner fleece gloves, instead I'm using my thin Under Armor gloves, works great down to 38F (this morning) for my hour commute to work. Below that I'll probably switch to the fleece liners, we'll see. They keep my hands nice and toasty. They also did well during the downpours we had earlier this week, they're pretty water resistant, but I had some water running in from my jersey sleeves. The only disappointing thing is that the stitching already came apart for the one velcro piece on the wrist, I'm going to contact PB about that.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I'd actually like to hear from bar mitt people as to how warm they are. They seem pretty open and really more of their own little shell to keep a pocket of heat, but a lot of ventilation. Is that pretty much it?
    If you mean the bar mitt brand I don't know, but if you mean the term generically, then mine are quite toasty. They block wind, rain, snow, and have some insulation. I usually keep the toggle on the bar pretty snug but don't tighten the wrist closure at all. I have the "regular" Dogwood Designs pogies, I think someone said they are in stock at fatbikes.com Today it was 23F and I started out with wool gloves inside them but took those off halfway.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    An extra longsleeve layer will also keep your hands warmer, and may be worth trying even if you have to unzip a layer to keep your core from overheating.
    That's worth repeating.
    I'd love to find a pair of insulated gloves that reaches all the way up to my armpits.
    Arms and hands are a package deal when it comes to warmth in the winter.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I'm going to try the bar mitt for sure. I honestly didn't know such a thing existed as this is my first year commuting Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Specialized makes a 3-in-1 lobster-style glove that I find quite good, especially for the price ($60US last time I looked?). The liner is a little clunky feeling, but works well in the shell, or alone; it is wind/water resistant, heavy nylon weave. Only the shell has a wiping surface on it, and that is fairly rough (neoprene patch).

As far as grip goes...well, let's say I have difficulty putting my water bottle back in my cage after getting it in my palm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For anything colder than -5C (about 25F), I switch to mitt shells and fleece mitt liners. I think the shells are made by Outdoor Research - waterproof and breathable. Fleece liners from MEC. There is some reduced dexterity from not wearing gloves, but I can still operate the shifters and brake levers.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    That's worth repeating.
    I'd love to find a pair of insulated gloves that reaches all the way up to my armpits.
    Arms and hands are a package deal when it comes to warmth in the winter.
    Cut the end off a pair wool knit socks. Use them like arm warmers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

HotSnapZ!

I wish I would have known about HotSnapZ when I was riding the cold weather in Germany.

http://hotsnapz.com/videos/HotSnapZB_720x480.mp4
    Reusable hand warmers & massage therapy heating pads

I have a set now, but I would have used them a lot more when I was in Germany.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - how cold is it going to get where you are? In numbers...

Where I am, I very rarely ride in temperatures below 40 F. I add some full-fingered glove liners and call it good. I'd roast in what some other people are suggesting, just as they'd be cold and unhappy in my choice.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Those Sugoi look nice, I use a pair of these...

Gloves
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Short-Change-Hero
    Great thread as was wondering the same thing this morning as I was going through the pains of my frozen fingers thawing out after it being all of 21* F this morning. Wore my Merino baselayers under my riding shorts and jersey and the rest of me (minus face/ears) was just fine. Need something that is more windproof than anything else but think the the Sugoi/PearlIzumi lobster style gloves with my long finger riding gloves under should be more than enough.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Huckin' trails
    I just ordered those, Mechanix Wear Winter Armor Pro gloves, from T.A.S.C.O. safety for $30 with shipping. Pretty confident in them, but I'll have to wait till christmas to get them from my US place.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the Pearl Izumi Lobsters... good to go down to about 10*F for me. I get tingly below that, even with the lobsters.

I never got around to it, but I was going to make or use some motocross style plastic hand guards, just for blocking the wind. You could get away with much less in the way of gloves if you had a hand guard mounted on the bar blocking the wind.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah that is hard though on Aero/Drop bars. Would love to figure out the pogies for the drops but not sure if I want to drop the $75 on the dropbar version or just go for a better pair of winter gloves that I can use for mtn biking as well.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    I'm all about layers.

Normal fullfinger riding gloves down to about 0C/32F.

Below that I add flip-top mittens to take me down to -5C/23C

Below that I keep that fliptop mittens, but swap the riding gloves for something warmer - thin running gloves, or wool gloves, or windstoppers, or a combination. Three layers will get me to -15C/5F

Below that I switch to some cheap snowboard gloves that have a fleece liner. I'll add wool gloves as an extra layer to get down to -25C/-13F

Below that I add the woolsock armwarmers that have been recommended. I'll also switch to some fancyish gortex gloves I've got, and use both fleece and wool liners. That got me to -32C/26F last year without any problems.

That system mostly just evolved from using the gloves I had lying around. If I buy new gloves now though, I go with the largest size I can find to give lots of room for layers (which is handy since clearance bins are often full of XL and XXL).

My #1 tip - don't ride with damp or wet gloves. The two worst rides I've had involved stopping on the way home on a coldish day, shopping for half an hour or whatever, and then heading out again with slightly sweaty gloves. @#$%# did my hands freeze. Now I carry a spare, dry baselayer with me for situations like that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Large bulky mitts improve your dextrity and yet are much warmer than gloves.

Pogies have one big problem....if you get a mechanical you hands are gonna get really cold fast.

mtbr member
    I prefer just using ski gloves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast