Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Best, fastest, toughest, meanest, urban ´commuter

Ókay if you lived in an inner city and you just robbed a bank and had to have a getaway bike (bicycle!) to weave through traffic, jump gutters, up/down stairs, cross parks, speed along sealed roads, knock down little old ladies, and whatever else might be thrown at you what type of bike would be best and quickest? what would you custom build for the task?
    just curious!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kris Holm 38mm 29er rims with 2.35 Big Apples. Surly Karate Monkey. ~66 gear inches, eno freewheel. Midge bar, maybe something narrower. BB7's, big rotors, good pads. The wheels will have so much mass that it should roll over anything, push whatever out of the way, and have enough width and volume to ride up and down stairs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Man...sounds like schmucker really nailed it there with his response. The only option I might add would be using a Redline Monocog 29er frame instead of the Karate Monkey. My reasoning is because you can get the RLMC frame so damn cheap online. The down side of the frame is that it does not have all the features that are packed into the KM.

I do like my RLMC though. I bought the bike complete. But I think building a urban commando bike around the just the frame would be a cool idea. The frame is very sturdy and will take a beating.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    great answers, maybe the Redline and after the robbery buy the Surly FM

Paste eater
    I like track bikes to commute on. They're just fun. If I didn't live in town, things would be different. Maybe a long haul trucker?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Let see, needs to be totally blinged out...

I rob the bank jump on the bike and go around the corner, as soon as I see a bunch of kids hanging out...

I stop and hand them the bike, I give then 5 bucks and say watch it for me...

Then I go down into the subway...

Teh heh....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would commision SPpcialized to make an s-works Epic 29er. then get some 2.0 inch slicks made by schwalbe.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    no-one has mentioned suspension?

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Suspension is too wussy. Definitely rigid steel.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    should get a full on downhill bike stash it on the roof of the bank so when you get chased up there you can be totally cool and huck off the roof.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

gutentight
    How does that expression go again? Ah yes: "Gears and suspension are for women and old men."
    Good luck with the getaway...

Frt Range, CO
    Need a 29er to hop the curbs and smooth out the potholes:
    Last edited by pursuiter; 06-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.

( )
    Nov 2004
    a rack might be useful for hauling the loot
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't be robbing a bank, but my dirt jumper in seat up mode handles anything with competence including swapping the rear axle for the Burley attachment axle.

I buy the argument for 29 wheels rolling over stuff but I like 26 inch for tight quarters and quick moves and my big fat dirt/urban tires are fast, sticky and tough.

Low seat is one draw back to my STP as a commuter.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    a rack might be useful for hauling the loot
    Steevo what rack are you using and what (if any) mods did you have to do to get it to clear the rear tire and fender?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'd take a Motard...

or a short travel FS bike with a road cassette and some big DH rings.

I'd want something that was highly stable, but could hit the stair gaps with ease.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider
    Steevo what rack are you using and what (if any) mods did you have to do to get it to clear the rear tire and fender?

it's a surly nice rack. more info here: Who's using the Surly Nice Rack on the back of their KM?

one small problem I had was that the v-brake cable made contact with the fender so the brake felt mushy. I'm pretty sure disc brakes + fenders + surly rack would not work, but htere are disc brake compatible racks out there.

Also, for that big tire to clear the fender, the wheel had to be position further back in the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is what you are looking for....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...09631#poststop

Like catnip for people

What I'd be riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    What I'd be riding.
    Hmm, nice bike for sure, but one thing worries me. The first time you mis-time that bunny-hop going up the curb and the apex of the curb directly strikes the leading edge of that rear wheel and high pressure tire, it's all over.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Put some big apples on that bike and it would be ready to rock the urban concrete-scape.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Kris Holm 38mm 29er rims with 2.35 Big Apples. Surly Karate Monkey. ~66 gear inches, eno freewheel. Midge bar, maybe something narrower. BB7's, big rotors, good pads. The wheels will have so much mass that it should roll over anything, push whatever out of the way, and have enough width and volume to ride up and down stairs.

make mine similar, except that i would run a rholoff hub, nanoraptors at 65 psi with mr tuffies and some sealant in the tubes on dualduty fr rims, a remote adjustable seatpost. full size custom frame bag for whatever loot i don't put on my back and a taurus pt 145 mp with two spare clips mounted discreetly in an easily accessible, custom, beneath-the-stem bag.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    If I needed an ultimate commuter/hauler it would be a Surly Big Dummy with 2.35 Big Apples and a triple chainring Rohloff setup. Probably a 39t, 48t, 56t or something. Get great loaded climbing and do 50+ down hills.

emteebee
    Jun 2006
    I'd just buy a hardrock from specialized. Beefy and sick, a gnarly commuter for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast