mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Best cycling cameras?

Do any of you cycle with cameras? What do you recommend? I'm looking for a helmet mounted one that will work even if I already use a helmet mounted light.

mtbr member
    I use a Vivitar DVR 480 that I got from Kmart for $25. It isn't as high tech as the GoPro but it uses an SD card and a 8gb load with rechargable AAA batts goes for 3hrs or so. Good audio quality as well. I have mine mounted on the top of my handlebar headlight with foam tape. Easier to aim than the helmet version, though they included a couple mount designs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a Contour +2. I bought it for MTBing but will be using it on my commute. It is a little pricey but it tracks GPS data so you can view it if you wish.

Gumnut Peddler
    I have a $99 'NoRules' action cam and does the job. For the gopro and contour, unless you are going to share the video's on other formats than Youtube/Vimeo/Facebook free accounts, you end up having to compress the quality a heap - loosing all of the high def footage anyways IMO.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    ^^ Good point. The HD original footage at 1080 lets you read the plate, which can be important. When I set the camera on 760 plates are not readable without special precessing.

I wanted decent night video and the Drift Innovation HD is decent with low light and +2 stops exposure settings. The newer one which I now have is 2.5 oz and a lot lighter on the helmet. There maybe better now. The new Drifts have a replaceable front lens should your camera take a head on hit. And the top-of-the line allows you three different fields of view 170, 130, and 90 degrees. I can reduce it from 170 to 130 only at 760 and 60 fps on the plain HD. That could be handy as the wide view is overkill on the road.

BuyDig.com - Drift Innovation Drift HD Full 1080p High Definition Helmet Action Camera Kit Ultimate Bundle

The front lens is rotatable to keep the video horizontal regardless of mounting angle, although remembering to adjust it is another story.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i run with a go pro mounted to the handle bars. you can pick one up fairly cheap now that they just release a new version.

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
    i run with a go pro mounted to the handle bars. you can pick one up fairly cheap now that they just release a new version.
    I find that on the bars creates a lot of vibration. Have you tried using a chest mount? I now use this as my primary film mount (second is behind the bike from the seat stem).
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    I find that on the bars creates a lot of vibration. Have you tried using a chest mount? I now use this as my primary film mount (second is behind the bike from the seat stem).
    No vibration issues for me. I use the k-edge mount though with a old tube as a damper.

Redbox Return - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i have a kodak action camera. any suggestions on mounting this for commuting purposes.

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
    No vibration issues for me. I use the k-edge mount though with a old tube as a damper.

Redbox Return - YouTube
    Sorry I should have added 'when burning around dirt/rocky trails' before the vibration from handlebars part. It would seem from your video that bar mount for on road use is fine. Good to know.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Sorry I should have added 'when burning around dirt/rocky trails' before the vibration from handlebars part. It would seem from your video that bar mount for on road use is fine. Good to know.
    makes sense. I use the chestie when off road but that's more so to protect the camera in the case of an off. Such as the case where we had to replace the mount itself as well as the lens and case when my buddy decided to eat dirt in Utah last year:

Falling in Moab - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sony HDR-AS10 HD Action Camcorder HDRAS10/B B&H Photo Video

Anyone try this sony? Sony HDR-AS10 HD Action Camcorder

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Sony HDR-AS10 HD Action Camcorder HDRAS10/B B&H Photo Video

Anyone try this sony? Sony HDR-AS10 HD Action Camcorder
    Same price as the first gen GoPro. Might be a good idea to suss out the specs of each and maybe a few youtube vids.
    Burning fat, not oil.