mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Best Bike Fenders

Hi - looking for rear (and front?) bike fenders for my winder commute. Any suggestions? Be great if they were easy to take off and on, I live in NYC and the weather changes all the time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What tire size? What type of bike?

Easy on and off, you are looking at Planet Bike Speedez or SKS Race Blades. Best, look at anything from Velo Orange. The Civia fenders I have give the most coverage I have seen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi Ryball - dumb of me not to say. I've converted my weekend racer into my full time commuter (flat bars, different gearing etc). This bike has been in storage for 5 years as i've moved country twice so cant remember the exact size, i'm 6'4" tho so XL! (can measure tonight if needed)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Bike Fenders-small.jpg  

Still want a fat bike....
    Quote Originally Posted by JimK2010
    Hi Ryball - dumb of me not to say. I've converted my weekend racer into my full time commuter (flat bars, different gearing etc). This bike has been in storage for 5 years as i've moved country twice so cant remember the exact size, i'm 6'4" tho so XL! (can measure tonight if needed)
    Jim, he's talking tire size. Weekend racer = road bike? 650b or 700c most likely?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ohhh, thanks, duhh. Again i can't confirm but i'm pretty certain they are 700c's (first time in 2 weeks i didn't ride today). I'm commuting in NYC, ride is about 45 minutes each way and in the winter there is going to be a lot of slush / water / salt on the roads. The bike has good components and i'd like to keep it as clean as possible. It is possible to go 2 - 3 weeks sunny / cold here and if that was the weather i would take them off hence looking for a simple clip on / off system like the planet bike stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was actually asking about tire profile, so for example 700c x 23. The second number being basically the width of the tire.

Road bikes tend to have tight clearance. You will most likely have to go with the aforementioned SpeedEZ or Race Blades. They clip on, but compromise coverage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm assuming (for now but pretty certain) 700c x 23, but frame clearance is very tight. Thanks for your help, the SpeedEz look a good bet but i'll have to visit a shop to see if they fit -

Jim.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The clip on fenders should fit just fine. They do not go past the brake bridge in back or the crown arch in front. That is what I meant by a compromise in coverage.

I Ride for Donuts
    They don't go on/come off quickly, but I've had two sets of planet bike freddy fenders, and they are awesome in terms of coverage. I leave them on all winter and ditch them in the summer.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    They don't go on/come off quickly, but I've had two sets of planet bike freddy fenders, and they are awesome in terms of coverage. I leave them on all winter and ditch them in the summer.
    I'm also running the Freddy fenders on two of my commuters (a Monocog, and an OCLV fixed-gear) and the coverage is fantastic. I've never been pleased with the clip-on solutions and have simply resigned myself to keeping fenders on my commuter all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi Vegas / Commuter - are these the fenders you mean? (cant see Freddy Fenders) ...

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7001.html

Chronic 1st-timer
    SpeedEZ road might be your best bet.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi Vegas / Commuter - are these the fenders you mean? (cant see Freddy Fenders) ...

These...

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7048.html

(and I run these on my Monocog, with a suspension fork: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7007.html )

I Ride for Donuts

Nope... These are my new ones. They are the 'Cascadia' 29er fenders from planet bike. (tires are 2.35") The 'freddy' model is basically the same, but much narrower. I think they come in a couple widths. I had Freddy's on my 'cross bike. they are narrower and only have 1 strut on the front fender instead of 2, like the Cascadia. For your bike I'd think the Freddy's would be ideal. I ran the freddy's with up to a 35c tire before I ran into clearance issues.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)