mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I tried to search using Tapatalk, but it's acting screwy. Anyway, I'm looking for some good tire recommendations. I'm currently on a Jamis Trail XR, with 26x1.5 rims running Kenda duel tread 50-559. I had previously tried Geax Laczem 40-559 which had a great feel to them, but would wipe out every time I hit sand. I would like to find something skinnier, similar to a hybrid tire, that keeps it's footing in sand and wet roads.

I'm in Tampa Bay, so ice and snow are of no concern to me. Keeping upright while hitting a sand patch is. Also, the more puncture resistant, the better.

So, hit me with what you've got!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't have a ton of experience on sand, but I would think the important things for sand would be the width of the tire and how knobby it is, so essentially you'd be looking for anything that's terrible on pavement. The narrower the tire, the further you'll sink into the sand.
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I'm not doing beach riding, but looking for stability on sand wash out onto the pavement. It's not all the time, but enough that I wiped out three times in two days.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

Went to my LBS, and it seems that right now, the only thing I've got going for me is a 35-559 with street tread, and to learn how to handle or completely avoid sand on the pavement. Not what I was hoping for, but pretty much what I expected.

Sand on top of pavement is treacherous no matter what tire you choose. You are going to have to pay attention and be careful when you are forced across a patch of it. I lived in E. TX for awhile and it was VERY sandy there. Ice was an occasional concern on bridges, and they'd just throw down sand on top of them. Great for bikes, you know. Gotta be careful when there's sand in the equation.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I grew up in east Texas, Huntsville and Nacogdoches. Although I wasn't riding bikes then. I didn't get back into it until a few months ago after taking a break since I was 8.

I suppose it's more technique and skill than it is a magic tire that won't let me slide out. Maybe I'll set the Geax's back up again. They're certainly the better tire.

mtbr member
    I think everyone should try a big slick like the Big Apple (although preferably from a place that will let you return it if it's not your thing).

I don't know that I'd say it's the best all around tire, but it is pretty fun and pretty capable. Greasy mud and water-on-ice are its kryptonite, but the big contact patch handles everything else really well. And even though it's heavy I comfortably cruise just below 20mph on my 26" singlespeed, and with gears I'd probably be able to go a bit faster.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

The Big Apple, huh? How does that fair on long rides (I like to head out on Legacy Trail on the weekends. 40-50 miles a trip)? The idea of a cush ride appeals to me, but I think it appeals to everyone. What's the rolling resistance like? And most importantly, is it going to fly out from under me the moment I hit a sand patch?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Best all around tire?

There is a reason beach cruisers all have big tires. Sand is a PITA. Especially how you describe. It's essentially thousands of little ball bearings waiting to wipe you out.

No tire is perfect. If you get a great sand tire you lose speed. You go for speed then be careful of corners where there is sand. It's all a balancing act.

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    The Big Apple, huh? How does that fair on long rides
    Commuterboy around here toured with his. I stick closer to home, but definitely have some 40mi days. Once you're moving you just go, but because they're a heavy tire you feel it when you're first getting them up to speed. I think you get used to it pretty quickly though.

The interesting thing is that it lets you really play with pressure. I run mine under 30psi because that's where I like them. But other people will pump them up to 80psi, and I assume it's almost like riding a skinny tire. At 80 it might slide out on you, but at 30 it really hugs the ground. I've ridden them on snow and ice and on the grit that's left on our streets after winter, all all pretty much worry free. It's just singletrack right after a rain, or melty ice are where it's completely unpredictable.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Looking for a skinnier tire and a tire that handles sand better is counter intuitive. In general a larger contact patch is going to help you in sand.

If you put the pressure to the Big Apples the rolling resistance is very good. I find them a bit lethargic at the lower pressures some people like.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I figured that a skinnier tire would cut through the patch, rather than roll over it like a fatter one. The Kenda's I'm running now are 55-559, the Geax were 40-559, although they had little tread pattern. What little there is, I figured was more for marketing and decoration than any sort of functionality.

What about looking at something like a 35-559 but with an aggressive road tread that might help in the sand patches?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Ah, the old skinny snow tire theory. Not sure why a Texan in Fla would know that. (Originally a Texan but only to the ripe old age of 2)

It's a good theory but I ride a fat, mountain, cross and road bike. Listed in order of my preference for hitting a sandy patch. There's a noticeable difference between the 25C road and 32C cross tires on sand.

I've never really tried to figure out the best tread for sand, I try to avoid the stuff when I can.

Nac, eh? I was at SFA, so I know the area fairly well.

Sand on pavement is definitely like little ball bearings under you. Tire width, lower pressure, and some tread (even a little will help - wide open tread is better, but sacrifices rolling resistance on dry pavement) give the tire a better chance of finding grip on the pavement when you start to slide. Narrow tires in sand just feel squirrely. I occasionally rode my 700x32's on sandy trails and when they got into loose stuff, those tires got squirrely and handling got really tough. The tires I used there were 700x32 CSC crucibles (they come in 26 and 700c flavors) and they had a nice intermediate tread and I had no problems on pavement.

Then again, I also didn't rail sandy corners at speed, either.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I generally don't take corners at speed. Not for any sort of virtue, but rather my skill level doesn't allow it. The three times I wiped out with the Geax was in a straight line, with no push or brake. They just completely lose all footing. I'll say that I've not had the same issue with the Kenda's, but their aggressive tread on the side slows me down and causes an unsteady feeling in tight turns.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

Simply for reference, these are the treads I'm currently running on.

mtbr member
    Go fatter, rounder and less knobby. Big contact patch means better wear and more grip. After riding my fat bike, everything else seems downright skinny. Under 2.0-2.3 seems ridiculous. I would try some 2.0 or 2.35 big apples. They will roll well and give a great ride; much cushier than what you are looking at.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've done rather well on loose stuff with the Big Apples. Used to pedal the local river trail alot and there's a spot before one of the road crossings where it suddenly turns deep, loose, and sandy. After nearly wiping out the first time (I pedalled like it was the stoney hard-pack I was just on) I never had a problem again. Even the first time wasn't bad, the apples regained traction quickly when I corrected for my folly.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    The Big Apple, huh? How does that fair on long rides (I like to head out on Legacy Trail on the weekends. 40-50 miles a trip)? The idea of a cush ride appeals to me, but I think it appeals to everyone. What's the rolling resistance like? And most importantly, is it going to fly out from under me the moment I hit a sand patch?
    Big Apples will tour just fine

Commuter does double duty as a tourer, 368 miles in 3 days

I have 6500 miles on mine, will have to switch front to rear this weekend to wear them out at the same time.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive ridden panaracer tservs (700 x 25c) for about 8 years now. Ive ridden darn near everything on them. I know they come in 26 x 1.5.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

I'm liking the look of the T Serv.

mtbr member
    I have the 700x32 T-servs on a cross bike and like them. In rainstorms I am happy to have their (minimal) tread, although I'm not sure how much of their grip is mental vs. physical. They also do fine on my dirt road, which I would describe as more "rough gravel" than "sandy". Yes, compared to a beefier MTB tire I have to slow down, but have never wiped out. Wider ones are likely even better on a broader variety of surfaces. While fairly light and therefore not the most flat-resistant on the market, I have been pleased not to flat yet on my new more debris-strewn commute.

mtbr member

Best all around tire?

Switched back to the Geax and I'm going to try a different route tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully they'll perform well enough that I don't have to switch back to the Kenda's before I budget the T-Servs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Ive ridden panaracer tservs (700 x 25c) for about 8 years now. Ive ridden darn near everything on them. I know they come in 26 x 1.5.
    +1 on the T-Servs! I run one as a front tire on my commuter. They run a little small in 26", so I bought 26 x 1.75's because those are actually pretty close to 1.5" wide, at least on my Sun Rhino Lyte rims, but they've got a reputation for running a little small.

Great tire, high rubber content makes them a little cushy and sticks to the road well. I run mine at the upper pressure listed for the 1.5" (75 PSI). I prefer Vittoria Randonneur Pros for a rear tire, as I'm a heavy Clyde and the sidewall deflects less on these under the load my rear tire has to handle.

I've toured on Vittoria Rando Pro's on my tourer (converted MTB) and done a little touring on my commuter (a different converted MTB) with the Panaracer/Vittoria mix and both have served me well on gravel, dirt, and wet asphalt. I haven't ridden in sandy conditions, but I can recommend both for anything you'd reasonably want to do with a near slick. Both have some minimal tread, and that comes in handy at times. I regularly take the half mile of dirt singletrack behind the zoo on my way home on these tires, and have a path through part of a park that is dirt/mud on my daily commute and they do just fine.

Both tires have excellent puncture resistance. I used to get a LOT of flats with other tires, if you exclude the sidewall blow out I had recently which was probably because I clipped a squared off speedbump, and one flat that appeared to be caused by my picking up some debris* inside the tire when I switched wheels and transferred the tire over, I haven't had a flat since December. Nearly 3,000 miles.

I confidently ride both tires on MTB's heavily loaded down for touring onto dirt and gravel.

* Puncture was on interior of tube (facing hub), no source found.
    Last edited by Medic Zero; 10-13-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live in phoenix, and commute 15 miles one way to work, straight through downtown phoenix, so sand amd water on pavement is always an issue. I run maxxis hookworms. I love the damn things. The bike I had stolen had over 1000 miles in the past several months, and now that its cooler that figure will close to triple in the same time frame.

Anyways, they dont handle water perfectly, nor sand, but the extra meat seems to help a bit.

Whenever I hit a spot thats wet or sandy I give up on actually steering and I skid through them. May not be the best idea for longevoty but It does make it a lot easier to turn with the back tire when theres no traction.

I would suggest some thick semi slicks and just brake drift through dirt and water. Its always easier to control a tail slide than a skidding front wheel imo