mtbr member

Behold, my new commuter!

2008 Cannondale F7 in patriot blue (which is really growing on me)

Found it on Craigslist and got it for $200!

This is the non-disc version. Many of the parts are cheapie ones, and I'm gonna swap them out for some more respectable parts. Gonna make it a 1 x 9. Right now it has an 8-speed cassette, but I'm gonna put in a 9-speed and a Bontrager Race Lite single speed crankset. I also have an LX rear derailleur that I'm gonna put in. I will also get rid of the RST 100mm suspension fork and put in a rigid with disc brake, rear will remain V-brake. While I'm at it, gonna change the headset to maybe a Cane Creek S-6--something affordable but at least good. Anyway, just some things I plan on doing. I know commuters should be cheap, ugly, and slow, but the upgrade bug has bitten me. I just want a cool commuter! And don't any of you tell me otherwise because I've seen some of your really bada$$ commuters here! Some really fancy ones too!

Washed it earlier today because it was dirty and the previous owner didn't bother to wash it. He did tell me that it's a bit muddy. I prefer washing it myself, since I tend to be more careful.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Nice! Looks like it'll be a fun project.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    for $200, I'd say you've got some spare coin to upgrade with

mtbr member
    for $200, I'd say you've got some spare coin to stop for a beer on your way home for a few months!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    That doesn't look very comfortable. It's probably slow too
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome deal, dude!
    I'd just roll the shocks for now because they already have the mounts for disks. Just crank the preload way up and call it good. Then when a deal comes along on the forks you really want, swap it out. Also, there are some rear disk adapters out there that I've seen that you could add.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Awesome deal, dude!
    I'd just roll the shocks for now because they already have the mounts for disks. Just crank the preload way up and call it good. Then when a deal comes along on the forks you really want, swap it out. Also, there are some rear disk adapters out there that I've seen that you could add.
    The rear already has disc tabs, but I think I'm just gonna keep it V-brake back there for weight and cost consideration.

On a side note, how do you guys justify buying new parts for a bike that you bought that's already road worthy? Anyone feel that it has to be up to yer specs before you can really ride it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    The rear already has disc tabs, but I think I'm just gonna keep it V-brake back there for weight and cost consideration.

On a side note, how do you guys justify buying new parts for a bike that you bought that's already road worthy? Anyone feel that it has to be up to yer specs before you can really ride it?
    The way I look at it...if it will make me enjoy my ride more, then it's justified. I don't have a fancy bike...it's an old turd but it runs well. I keep tweaking to keep it interesting.