mtbr member
    Mar 2010

balaclava that minimizes or eliminates my glasses fogging up

I'm hoping to ride to work all winter long, and I'm looking for a balaclava that offers maximum warmth, and doesn't fog up my glasses. Any recommendations?

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    ZANheadgear Neoprene Glow in the Dark Jason Face Mask : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have no idea if this is a good mask or not, but dammit I really want to try it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Heh, you kinda hit the same place as 'waterproof breathable'. A non-fogging balaclava doesn't exist, but some are better than others.

Seirus makes one that's not bad, but it doesn't do much to keep your breath warm.

Your best bet is to become (and I mean this in the best way possible) a mouthbreather. Of course, your classic balaclava will work just fine with a bunch of fussing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Last January I climbed Mt Washington. The temp (without windchill) at the base was -10 when I started. By time we were at the summit, the windchill was -60. The guide we went with said really the only way to avoid googles icing up is by mouth breathing. Fortunately he said to bring an extra pair of goggles. Good thing because de-icing goggles when it's that cold isn't an easy (or safe) task.

Edit: Check these out, both are nice:

Balaclava: SEIRUS Combo Clava - Eastern Mountain Sports
    Face mask only: SEIRUS Combo Scarf - Eastern Mountain Sports
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

CheesyRider
    Check out the Turtle Fur . com website, click on the Clavas section then on page 2 you will see what I use, what they call a "Fog Free" balaclava. Whew... wish I could post links...

Anyway, this works pretty good for me, although not 100% .. Also going to try Visorgogs over my glasses this year to see if that helps...
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    I'm hoping to ride to work all winter long, and I'm looking for a balaclava that offers maximum warmth, and doesn't fog up my glasses. Any recommendations?
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/darth.jpg

This is me after 35 mins of riding at -35C (without windchill) Note no fog at all.....

Turtle fur open face balaclava....

Bell Helmet with ear covers...

Smith googles with double lense and nose guard...

The inside of the noseguard frosts up with breathe, but it does not build up or touch your face.

The nose guard was the finally key it efficiently directs the breathe away from the lenses.

I Ride for Donuts
    I use a 'clava and glasses, and I have no fogging issues unless I look down at the chain while I exhale out of my nose
    Your best bet is to go with something THIN. The thick fleecy ones look nice in the store and give you warm thoughts, but they are too much in my opinion (my low temp commutes are below zero farenheit). You want that moisture to escape...just enough to keep your warm breath and body heat in. Mine is an REI brand.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I use a Sugoi balaclava and my glasses do fog up when I stop or breath hard. You can try the others ones mentioned, maybe they work but wearing a balaclava generally means having fogged up glasses.
    Maybe try goggles or not wearing glasses. That could be a terrible idea or solve the problem completely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wear a hat. Then put a headband on that covers you nose and cheeks, then I use a buff that covers the chin /neck. Sounds complicated but works well.

mtbr member
    Since my commute is hilly and you need a lot more protection on the downhills and you generate a lot more heat on the uphills, I prefer an adjustable system. I use a hat (everything from the thinnest wool beanie to a windproof fleece one) with a fleece neck gaiter (tubelike object). I can pull down the neck gaiter or even unzip it halfway for the uphill sections, eliminating overheating and fogging. I havenít had too many problems with my glasses fogging as long as Iím moving; I breathe more carefully at lights.

mtbr member
    Rain-X used to sell a spray for cleaning glass and glasses that among other things prevented fogging. It worked but was a little pricey, now I use this: Decot Sport Glasses - The Best Shooting & Sport Glasses Under The Sun! - Kleer VU Anti Fog Cleaner (2 oz. size)

Since I wear their glasses it makes sense to use their spray, but it works on every lens I've tried it on. Never used it below freezing but I have no doubt that it works just fine regardless of tempature.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Rain-X used to sell a spray for cleaning glass and glasses that among other things prevented fogging. It worked but was a little pricey, now I use this: Decot Sport Glasses - The Best Shooting & Sport Glasses Under The Sun! - Kleer VU Anti Fog Cleaner (2 oz. size)

Since I wear their glasses it makes sense to use their spray, but it works on every lens I've tried it on. Never used it below freezing but I have no doubt that it works just fine regardless of tempature.
    With Rain-X sprays and other products like that, you need to make sure that the spray is compatible with your glasses. Rain-X have some products that will be fine on glass but react with polycarbonate lenses and ruin them.

I just recently took the same route, although this was recommended to me by a scuba diver - JAWS Quick Spit Anti-fog Spray.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Since my secondary winter passion is snowmobiling, I would recommend the products made by Klim or Ski-Doo. Although snomobile specific they work excellent for the -10 without windchill commute!!

No Stranger to danger....
    I share your concern, the last thing you want is your goggles misting up in the middle of a bank job or a jewellery store job.
    You really need to invest in a good set of coloured contact lenses and a balacava that has smaller eye slits, and always throw the wig on before so a bit is pokin out the bottom,
    cheers n good luck.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Tried ski goggles? They work really well and offer better wind protection.

Did I catch a niner?
    45North makes a balaclava now that has a slit in the mouth vs just vents on a neoprene area. I am told this works much better as air passes through easier and prevents fogging.

In my LBS it was $45 btw.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Question for bikedreamer

Hello Bikedreamer,
    I noticed your Darth picture. Where do you get the noseguard goggles? I like the look-and deal with condensation on my prescription glasses. Your solution looks like a winner?
    Justalittlecold in MI

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Grow a beard.

mtbr member
    If you grow a beard/mustache then snot and condensation freezes so now you're cold and kinda gross.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello Jeffscott,
    I looked at the darth picture you posted, because I want to replicate what your doing. I want a no-fog system for Mt. biking. I get the goggles in the picture, and the noseguard on the goggles which helps prevent fogging. What is the duckbill device under teh noseguard which looks like the bill of a hat?
    Justalittle cold in MI

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by justalittlecold View Post
    Hello Jeffscott,
    I looked at the darth picture you posted, because I want to replicate what your doing. I want a no-fog system for Mt. biking. I get the goggles in the picture, and the noseguard on the goggles which helps prevent fogging. What is the duckbill device under teh noseguard which looks like the bill of a hat?
    Justalittle cold in MI
    That is part of the nosegard....the nose guard consists of two parts one is made of google plastic...it clips to the googles and forms the "noseguard part".....a piece of neoprene extends from this.

The way it works is the googles form a very good seal underneath noseguard so the breathe cannot come up in to the googles....the neoprene part deflects the breathe to the sides rather than up onto the outer surface of the lense.

I suspect that the noseguard is meant to fit a full coverage sled helmet, and work in the same way. (A full coverage bike helmet would also probably work very well)

Underneath the neoprene part a thin film of frost does collect but it does not touch your face in anyway

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by justalittlecold View Post
    Hello Jeffscott,
    Justalittle cold in MI
    Smith Products | SmithOptics.com

See the quarter mask in the upper right corner.

Ex-Clydesdale
    I just started using Cat Crap this week, it's been working really well so far. I don't know how long one application lasts (several days I think), but when it's fresh, I can stand outside below freezing and can't get any fog to show up even breathing straight onto the glasses with my mouth. Even if it needs to be reapplied often, the little $5 mini tub you get should last a long time since it takes very little each time.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000