mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Back to commuting, now need help with choosing a rig.

Hello all, first time in this section, usually hang out with the singlespeeder gang. Well, as the title hints, I am currently working at a job that I love with a 100 mile round trip highway commute 5 days a week. With the recent start of a family, I am doing my hardest to find a job within a 10 mile round trip by bike. I am a little familiar with commuting as I did it year round, snow and all, while in school 10 years ago on a basic 26" mtb.

So this is the situation. It would be mostly asphalt, with some gravel mixed in. Im in northern Mn, but live in town. I plan to ride the same bike year round through the cold, snow, rain, etc. I am after something not so flashy(even if it were a nicer bike id have no problem making it look like a beater so it blends in), I plan to strictly make it a single speed for ease of maint. and cleaning. I dont really want to join the Fatbike crowd, as I dont want it stolen, and for that matter, dont plan to ride where I would need that big of a foot print. Not really sure what would be the best for all these conditions either, meaning, go the cyclocross or regular mtb route. Currently ride a singlespeed 29er and a trek roadbike, but both too nice and dedicated to commute.

Looking to do $400 max. So on the list are things like, a nashbar ss 29er, a nashbar hounder with a summer set of cyclocross tires/winter set of studded cyclocross tires, or just dig up a older trek etc mtb from craigslist/pawn shop single speed it. Sorry for such a long post, but any help or input is appreciated, thanks so much for your time!!

mtbr member
    I've got an 80s rigid mtb that was an ss and is now a fixie, and I like it a lot. Studs in the winter and bigapples in the summer. I might even try sticking dropbars on it this summer for a laugh.

So I don't really think you can go wrong with an older trek. My roundtrip is 10mi if I don't goof around, and for that distance you really don't need to overthink things.

Teen Wolf
    for those purposes i'd look for an older mtb as well, strip it down, ss it, change the tires depending on the season, cheap and beaterish