mtbr member

Arterial Blockage

I am 47, nearly 48. I have been commuting for a little over a year, lost almost 20 pounds. I was averaging over 100 miles a week and training for a century. I was setting personal bests on commutes and training rides.

Then out of nowhere I started having problems. I'd head out to ride and had no energy, it felt like I was totally drained after a hard training ride. No energy to spin. This went on for about a week. I resolved just to take it easy thinking maybe I had overtrained.

Then symptoms changed. I would be riding along (still no energy), I would approach a slight (i mean SLIGHT) rise in the road and pedal just a little harder to get over the rise and I would feel a burning sensation starting in the middle of my chest radiating outward and it made me feel like I was going to puke.

I decided to call the Doc when I was riding home via the most direct, shortest route which is only 3.5 miles. I hit one of those very mundane rises in the road and I thought I was going to have to stop and call my wife to come pick me up.

Story is already getting long...keeping it short. I had an echo stress test last week. Thought I was going to die, EKG looked perfect, but the Doc suspects a blockage/partial blockage. Angiogram is tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone else gone through this? I want to know the likelihood of being able to get back on the bike, daily commuting, mountain biking, training for another century, etc.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a buddy who had some stents put in, and I think he was running again after 6 weeks.

Natural Born Killer
    I have no advice for you, but good luck! We are the same age so this really hits home. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road leading to a long healthy future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go google "angina pectoris" and "heart catheterization". Follow your doctors orders, and I think you'll be able to get back to any normal exercise routine within a few weeks if not shorter. Sounds like you caught this early enough to avoid any long term damage - good.

mtbr member
    My first angina was at age 35. At one point I was on 4 heart meds and popping Nitro pills to deal with it. Two catheterizations and a dye/stress test/ Nada. No blockage. At 50, I had the heart of a 30 year old. I found that 2 x 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate (essential heart mineral our diets are short in) and Taurine (body makes its own nitro when you exercise) stopped the need for the nitroglycerin. I get a bit of exercise related angina if I have not ridden enough (fully fit) and I push too close and too long to my 183 Max Heart Rate. Never could have approached that when angina was a factor. These supplements and a good Fish Oil (like Krill Oil) have made my nitro pill use very very rare. I don't see these hurting even if you have a real blockage. If they find none, drop me a PM, and we can talk about that.

Moderator Moderator
    Over ten years ago, and before she hit 50, a friend needed a bypass operation after experiencing pain during slight exertion. The good news is that she has never been healthier or more fit, she started easy on the treadmill after recovering from surgery and has kept it up, lost some extra pounds, and has experienced no further problems. Of course you’ll have to wait and see (which is really tough), but I think most heart patients are encouraged to exercise. Wishing you the best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    im 46 eat healthy and exercise alot but my family history caught up to me. i had chest pain,i thought it was gas for awhile
    they put 1 stent in. i feel stronger than before.
    i have been going to cardiac rehab and taking meds and eating even healthier now. it feels great to be able to ride with my buddies again.

just carry around some nitro and baby aspirins just incase and ride with someone. you will get better ,just keep trying

keep busy ,dont let the mental demons get to ya, watch out they dont have you on too much beta blocker,they are depressing. they cut mine in half and i feel much better.
    long island,ny

mtbr member
    ^^ Also watch Beta Blockers if your resting pulse (morning before rising) is 50 or less. Cycling brought by resting HR down to the 48-52 range. The beta blocker dropped me to a HR of 42 and BP of 90/56. Not good. Dizzy doing anything.

mtbr member
    My resting heart rate is still about 70 with bp 125/80...
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

my father-in-law had a quadruple bypass when he was around 50. he is still reasonably active (he referees high school and collegiate sports alongside his regular job) and felt better after the procedure.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    My resting heart rate is still about 70 with bp 125/80...
    If you don't mind answering, how about other trouble indicators? You said you dropped 20lbs, do you still need to drop 20 more? How about cholesterol?

I'd guess that once they clear you out you'll be feeling better and step up the exercise both because you feel better and you won't want it to happen again. In my totally untrained medical opinion you will make a full recovery.

mtbr member
    I still need to drop about 40lbs! Cholesterol is high as well.

Had the cardiology consult just now. Scheduled for angiogram tomorrow morning. Doc says that with my previous activity level, the perfect EKG and as long as it's no more than a stent that's required - I should be able to start cranking out the smiles in a week.

Of course...I have to clean up my diet and quit being a moron with food.

mtbr member
    Reporting in finally.

I am at home now recovering from a quadruple bypass. No riding for 3 months...

Moderator Moderator
    Glad you are OK and back home! Let us know how you're doing along the way and share some healthy recipes with us maybe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Reporting in finally.

I am at home now recovering from a quadruple bypass. No riding for 3 months...
    So much for a simple stent, eh? A word of advice from a cardiac nurse, take your meds, follow-up with cardiology and your surgeon and get involved with a cardiac rehab program. Soon enough you'll be back on the bike. Glad you're ok though!

Arterial Blockage

Heal up man

Natural Born Killer
    Take care and heal fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

MTB, Road, Commuting
    WOW, sorry to hear it was so much more complicated than expected but glad to hear you are on the mend. Thanks for checking back in.

weirdo
    Whoa, I missed this yesterday. Heal well.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Good catch. If you had not been riding and exercising the heart, this might have snuck up on you and not been good. You might be faster once healed.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. If I had not been riding, if my heart was not as strong, I would indeed be dead according to the cardiologist.