Back in the Saddle Again

The Art of Carrying Things by Bike

PRETENDURO
    Nice video. Iíve got a Surly Big Dummy cargobike (spotted in the video), but sometimes itís just too much for running simple errands, as mine is currently set up at 105 pounds sans cargo. Yes, you read that correctly. I like the idea of just popping a rack on the back of my regular bike(s) though (perhaps my other Surly). Nice to see footage of someone using one of the Xtracycle bike-powered blenders!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

pretty cool vid. I tried the milk crate basket thing on my bike, but the frame geometry is such that my saddle interferes with that kind of use. I need to figure out something else that will provide the same functionality because oftentimes I don't need full panniers (but I have a pair of pannier buckets that can hold a growler each plus more stuff for padding).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    pretty cool vid. I tried the milk crate basket thing on my bike, but the frame geometry is such that my saddle interferes with that kind of use. I need to figure out something else that will provide the same functionality because oftentimes I don't need full panniers (but I have a pair of pannier buckets that can hold a growler each plus more stuff for padding).

I use a 20oz soda bottle crate for the back of mine. Its sturdy and low sides so it doesnt interfere with the seat.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice video. Love the dog basket, and the massage table was pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Nice video. Iíve got a Surly Big Dummy cargobike (spotted in the video), but sometimes itís just too much for running simple errands, as mine is currently set up at 105 pounds sans cargo. Yes, you read that correctly. I like the idea of just popping a rack on the back of my regular bike(s) though (perhaps my other Surly). Nice to see footage of someone using one of the Xtracycle bike-powered blenders!
    Um, why does it weigh 105lbs?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Um, why does it weigh 105lbs?
    26"x2.5" Surly Large Marge DH wheelset shod with 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tires, and I always ride with a bunch of spares and tools to fix most any sort of repair that one might encounter on a ride (including a full-size floor pump), custom front/rear/side lighting system (including several pounds of Lithium Polymer Ion battery packs), 17" & 19" truck horns fed via an overvolted Italian-made compressor fed by 35 pounds of lead-acid batteries to run the compressor at 24V, another 2 pounds of Lithium Polymer Ion battery packs running the two Bosch car horns (sourced from a 1987 Volvoórun at 16.8V they are quite LOUD and add another couple of pounds). Iíve got the wooden Xtracycle running boards and of course Xtracycle cargo bags as well. Pretty damned heavy, but once it gets rolling it is pretty easy to control.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Back in the Saddle Again
    I made out like a bandit today. Picked up a In Step Quick n ez for $10 at the flea market, $10.00 for a new mounting bracket. $20 is not bad for adding cargo capacity

The Art of Carrying Things by Bike-img_20130707_143350.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    26"x2.5" Surly Large Marge DH wheelset shod with 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tires, and I always ride with a bunch of spares and tools to fix most any sort of repair that one might encounter on a ride (including a full-size floor pump), custom front/rear/side lighting system (including several pounds of Lithium Polymer Ion battery packs), 17" & 19" truck horns fed via an overvolted Italian-made compressor fed by 35 pounds of lead-acid batteries to run the compressor at 24V, another 2 pounds of Lithium Polymer Ion battery packs running the two Bosch car horns (sourced from a 1987 Volvoórun at 16.8V they are quite LOUD and add another couple of pounds). Iíve got the wooden Xtracycle running boards and of course Xtracycle cargo bags as well. Pretty damned heavy, but once it gets rolling it is pretty easy to control.
    Why?

Back in the Saddle Again
    Why?
    As I tell people when they ask me the same questions on my hobbie, interests and creations.

Because he can.

mtbr member
    Nice! Great inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Why?
    Because with drivers like the Calif ones he faces, he has learned to be SEEN and HEARD and live to ride another day. Especially with kids on board.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There are far lighter ways to be seen & heard than 45 lbs of batteries. Especially the lead-acid + horns setup, couldn't you swap out an airzound, or even just a Li battery?

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    There are far lighter ways to be seen & heard than 45 lbs of batteries. Especially the lead-acid + horns setup, couldn't you swap out an airzound, or even just a Li battery?
    An airzound can't be heard over a loud thumping car stereos or through drug induced haze or you may get a huh as they continue to run you off the road. Overvolted truck air horns demand compliance right the frig now! I assume Li-ion that are protected can't deliver the amps needed. Unprotected Li-ion are fine in models away from people but not on a bike near your loved ones and body parts. Besides, it is his bike he can do what he wants and our opinion is no never mind. It is also a kind of training. He is a lot faster when he rides his lighter bike with no kids and fewer batteries on board.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow awesome video. There has definitely been some times when I strapped on some boxes of pizza on my bike or even the time I had a 24 case of Budweiser back there!

Moderator Moderator
    I saw a guy yesterday walking his bike, but using it to transport a good-sized load of vinyl siding. He was at least a mile uphill from the Pick-n-Shovel hardware/lumber store. Way to git r done.

mtbr member
    Early iteration on the errand bike. Reminds me I need propane.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: The Art of Carrying Things by Bike

Just saw a guy with some tubing down by his rear wheels parallel to the the ground. Resting on bars this guy was pedaling up a hill with two 4x8 plywood boards. One on each side in a V opening in front of him. Pretty crafty, except a storm was blowing in and I think it was working against him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    An airzound can't be heard over a loud thumping car stereos or through drug induced haze or you may get a huh as they continue to run you off the road. Overvolted truck air horns demand compliance right the frig now! I assume Li-ion that are protected can't deliver the amps needed. Unprotected Li-ion are fine in models away from people but not on a bike near your loved ones and body parts. Besides, it is his bike he can do what he wants and our opinion is no never mind. It is also a kind of training. He is a lot faster when he rides his lighter bike with no kids and fewer batteries on board.
    Any idea how many amps? And of course he can do what he wants, I'm just... that's a lot of weight. And it's got to be kind of bulky too. His freedom to ride what he wants also extends to ignoring some guy on the internet.

PRETENDURO
    Why?
    Just for the fun of it, and itís also a great workout.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Now this is carrying something by bike:

mtbr member
    ^ Can you imagine into a wind gusting to 35 mph?