mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Anyone using a suspension seat-post?

Can anyone give me some feedback on suspension seat-posts? I love everything about my commuter-bike (Brody Infinity) except the stiff frame that rattles my teeth over every bump. I am thinking of getting the Thudbuster.

thanks,

Don

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    the thudbuster comes in two flavors, the ST and the LT. arguably the LT is more customizable and offers more dampening. they use elastomers for absorbing the impacts, which come in several types of stiffness based on your weight, but it's often better to find one that fits best.

they work, they're cheap, and they're on the heavy side. i wouldn't put one on a serious trail bike, but they're great for commuters.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nashbar also makes a great suspension seat post with preload adjustment that does a good job of soaking up minor bumps. That's not to take away from the Thudbuster which is an awesome suspension seatpost, but the Nashbar seatpost is a fraction of the cost and more sufficient for a commuter.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for that. The Thudbuster ST is what I am after, since I don't need a lot of travel and I don't have room for the LT anyways. I think I will give it a try.

-Don

mtbr member
    If your frame has clearance, have you tried some bigger tires?
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a thudbuster lt that I have used for 4 months and it has preformed very well. Its just enough cushion to take the jolt out of potholes, curbs and speedbumps. I am happy with it, but with my new frame I have on the way I am trying to lighten the load so not sure if it will make it on the superfly or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the munts
    If your frame has clearance, have you tried some bigger tires?
    I run the skinniest tires I can (700 x 23/25) and pump them up pretty hard. I like the low rolling resistance. Does make for a rough ride however.

-Don

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I have a Suntour SP8-NEX which works similarly to the Thudbuster. It has 50mm of travel but is much cheaper than either of the Thudbusters. I'm in Germany and I paid 40 Euro (~55 U.S. Dollars) for it (brand new). It might be difficult to find one in the states though (I don't understand why). Maybe I should buy a handfull of them and resale them on eBay or when I get back to the states.

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I use one in Germany, set pretty firm, and it has helped save my groin a few times. It's a Rockshox. They are pretty common on commuters in Germany, together with front suspension. Lots of other commuting bikes in Germany are full suspension. Cobblestones and gravel paths are everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    NitroPro is great. Takes a bit of setting up, but once you get it right it's dreamy.

http://www.nitropro.com/reviews.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I use the cheap Nashbar, it does take the edge off the sharp bumps in the road. They're on sale quite frequently.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Or, do yourself a REAL favor and get a Brooks Champion Flyer Saddle. It has springs, classic Brooks comfort, and will last a lifetime. Eliminates the need for suspension seatpost.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    I have a Suntour SP8-NEX ...It might be difficult to find one in the states though (I don't understand why). Maybe I should buy a handfull of them and resale them on eBay or when I get back to the states.
    There was a time when I really wanted one of those, but could not get my hands on one. I have seen them OEM on a few bikes though. They seem nice, but the spring would be too soft for a heavier rider.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well I went ahead and bought a Thudbuster ST for my commuter and I thought I'd give an update. It works as advertised and really smooths out the ride. I don't notice it is there at all, and I no longer notice the annoying road bumps and vibrations either. I don't think I would have paid full retail for it but for 1/2 price that I got it for I think it is worth the money. I spend 95% of my time on the road so I can't really speak for its trail-worthiness.

-Don

Devo
    i've been using a thudbuster for years now.
    i like them so much, that i have 3 of them, each mounted on various bikes.

they totally rock!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks
    Can anyone give me some feedback on suspension seat-posts? I love everything about my commuter-bike (Brody Infinity) except the stiff frame that rattles my teeth over every bump. I am thinking of getting the Thudbuster.

thanks,

Don
    Wow.

If you're that uncomfortable use your built in suspension when commuting (arms and legs).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://www.brooksengland.com/shop/sh...------------50

Expensive saddle, but I am suprised no one mentioned this option to you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    i've been using a thudbuster for years now.
    i like them so much, that i have 3 of them, each mounted on various bikes.

they totally rock!
    That's a sweet looking ride. What type of frame is it?

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks
    That's a sweet looking ride. What type of frame is it?
    its a Hunter 29er
    Hunter w/CDW bags

&

Devo & The Dummy

peace...d
    Last edited by SelfPropelledDevo; 02-16-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

anyone else smell that?
    i use a thuddy on my trail bike as well. love them to death. the nashbar and performance telescoping type both started having a lot of side to side play in them that i have never experienced with the thudbuster.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.