Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

anyone use more expensive bikes for transportation?

just out of curiosity. anybody use a nicer bike for commuting and/or riding around town? seems like everybody leaves their pricier rides at home and switches to beaters for transportation. especially if it has to be locked up outside.

theres peace of mind not worrying about theft with a cheapie, but i find i prefer a nicer ride.

does anybody ever use a pricier bike and leave it locked outside now and then?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride my IRO Mark V around whenever the weather is nice. I don't like to take it to the bars. I have about 1k in it. The same applies to my Karate Monkey with the road slicks. That's more of a 1.5k bike.

BIG and Bald
    Specialized Tricross with some mods here.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I updated a beater to run just as good as my $$$ bikes (pavement-smooth trails obviously). I upgraded the brakes, shifters, with new cables, and I am happy with it. Yeah it is heavy but I have low rolling resistance with these wally world tires!

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Around town: (No, I'm serious. Other bike is in teh shop ATM. )
    Whatever, if you wanna preach about riding this I don't care.

mtbr member
    I ride an ok bike I built and painted to look like a beater. I still dont feel good locking it outside.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I can only get one bike at a time (family obligations), so I make it count. I build up from a bare frame, so my rides are unique, and yes, expensive.

Right now, nobody has a Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 like mine -- spec is damn near as good as the same-year 2.0, cost was close, so I call it the 1.9.

Versatility is the key -- the more places I can take it, the better it is for me.

I'll ride it 'til it breaks...but the next one, I already know, will be HT.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup I ride my bike, fully updated Element, worth about $6000 every where...

I sometimes use a lock, but more often, bring it inside, and store it in a lock up...I got a whole range of places with lock up I can use around town.

Most places allow you to walk around with a bike inside no problem if they don't I don't go there anymore...

mtbr member
    I've been riding my ventana to work. it is a long 17mi with fat tires and full sus. I converted my commuter (bridgestone MB-3) to my single speed which is not conducive to commuting. If I can scrape together enough parts, I plan to convert an old 853 frame I have to SS and my bridgestone back to commuter.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Rub it............
    I've been riding my Kona (approx $2000 in it) to work a few times until I get a new wheel set for my hard tail.

I ride my '01 Trek Fuel with slicks as my commuter.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I rode my $5k plus custom Lynskey SS to work for a few weeks while I was figuring out if it was a viable option. Now I have a dedicated commuter which is much nicer with slicks and gears and I don't spend the day worrying about will it still be there when I head home.

ONe less gear
    I ride my Kona that's all done up worth $2k and I store it inside at work, but I lock it up really well if I go to stores in such.

mtbr member
    Right now I'm riding my Hifi plus to work, but reading this thread has just inspired me to look for a beater that I can 'beat' on the bway to work...and, of course, not worry about anymore....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Though it's a road frame, I ride my Co-Motion to work on a regular basis. I'm fortunate to be able to lock it indoors. I thought about getting a less-expensive bike for commuting and shopping but soon realized that I liked the bike I have, and anything I bought to "replace" it would just be duplicating the design/utility that I already have in my stable.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Weather permitting, I ride my Pinarello Prince (mix of Record and Chorus) on my 27km. each way commute. At work it is inside and about 6 feet away from me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live in Seattle and go to the UW. If I am just riding to class, where I know my bike will be locked up outside in an extremely high traffic area for just an hour or two, then I take my Transition Vagrant (which I am about 1,200 into). If I am going later at night to the library to study or something, then I take my Raleigh XXIX single speed. I have a New York 3000 lock, which is heavy as hell, but I can't see anyone really getting through it.

Bikeoholic
    I consider my Salsa Casseroll full dura ace build pretty expensive but still a very functional commuter. I lock mine up outside at work with a on-guard bull dog mini. I never worry about it.
    Mind you I am on a Navy base with at least 2 surveillance cameras pointed right at it...
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Double-metric mtb man
    I ride my farily modified Fisher Cake 2 DLX most places (`$2000 new, pluss all the upgrades and custom parts). There are some places I will only take a less expensive bike, but generally, the Cake is the bike of choice.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ride my C'Dale upgraded to the hilt "Bad Boy" at least 3 days a week...lock it up outside work with a Bulldog mini. I also have locking axle and seatpost devices. I ride all over the city, lock it outside everywhere. I also have it insured through my renters policy, just in case.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Every time I've bought a less expensive bike, I end up pimping it out.

I ride my bikes, all of which are fairly nice, everywhere. I'm mindful of where I lock them up and never leave them over night. That's just a bad idea.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My nicest commuter is a slightly customized Bianchi San Jose. It's not worth a ton, but it is quite special to me, and it is bright orange with bright blue wheels, so it attracts some attention.

On a related note, is there anything you guys do to make your bike visually less appealing to steal? I added a couple of stickers the other day hoping to make the bike look not quite as nice and clean, and it seems to have done the trick.

Trail Rider
    I bought my sisters bike off her for $130. Barley been used. Stripped all the stickers off and wrapper parts with electrical tape to look cheap. Bought better semi slicks and I don't have to really care about it locked up at school, or ride my Giant Warp when I can keep it near me. That one's not being locked out anywhere.

mtbr member
    a 08 raleigh RX 1.0, the fork alone sells for $500. not bad for a $1000 bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ride my beater, it was free only thing I put on it was a new set of cheap tires and tubes so if it gets stolen i don't really care

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast