mtbr member
    May 2009

Anyone run fenders with a 700 x 38?

All of the planet bike hybrid fenders say for a 700 x 35. Will they fit? If anyone is running fenders with this size tire what fenders are you running? The tires are serfas vida 700x38. The LBS I go to had my dad drop from a 38 to a 35 to run fenders. The tires I have are brand new though. The lady a planet bike said I might have to order longer stays. She suggested the hybrid fender. I don't really want to buy fenders and have to send the stock stays back to swap them. Thanks for any help !

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    so, are you looking for some fenders or are you tryng to use the ones your father got at the LBS? I'm little confused with your "I don't really want to buy fenders" statement.

how come they didn't told you about a 29er fender...may be the cascadias...no room for such a wide fender?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes I'm looking for fenders. I was saying that my dad was also running a 38 tire and the LBS told him he had to change to a smaller tire to run fenders. Which he did change. I was saying I didn't want to buy fenders and have to send them back if they didn't work out.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ok ok, I think it was me not reading correctly.

did they mention the 29er fenders?

Edit..also take a look at SKS Fenders..those are wide but not as wide as a 29er
    Edit 2...I just went to their website and they do have 38mm covered on their 700c versions
    http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=p...01430&BLUEMELS
    http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=p...CHROMOPLASTICS
    you just need to check the available space on your frame...that could be a reason to go with a smaller tire to fit your fenders...
    Last edited by martinsillo; 01-10-2011 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No they didn't mention the 29ers. She said I might have to buy extra long stays for the hybrid to raise the fender up higher. I will check out the sks fenders.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks martinsillo!! It's funny how the SKS fenders are 45mm and are supposed to fit. The planet bike fenders are 45mm and they aren't supposed to fit.

edit- I should have plenty of frame clearance.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    as she said, the length of the stays affects clearance between tire and fender....and I bet the curvature on the fender itself also has a lot to do...those hybrids may not be the ones you should get for those reasons...

how come you haven't tried your father's on your bike?...just saying

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am running some pretty beefy 700x38c cross tires on my touring bike and have fenders on it. The fenders I'm running are the Axiom Rainrunner Trekk. They come with an adapter to be used with disc brakes also, which is nice for the options. They fit perfect for this size tire. I could probably get away with a little wider tire with a less aggressive tread and still have plenty of coverage, seeing as the Schwalbe tires I'm running are pretty wide for their size. But after looking at my options I wouldn't go with anything else for that size tire range. Ridden a bunch in the snow and rain with this setup and it's performed great.

Fenders:
    http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Rainrunn...uct/B0029LJ21G

Tires:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...4709882&sr=8-1

Did I catch a niner?
    I run some Nashbar 700x38c with fenders currently on my Fisticuff. I use a set of SKS Commuter/Hybrid fenders and they fit with room. The set can actually take a 45c which I will test once my Smart Sams get here. It would mainly depend on if your fork and frame can take a large fender like that.

If you have disc brakes get the SKS Commuter set, it's hard to get that second support over your disc brake. If you do not have disc brakes I would look at the Chromoplastics mentioned above. They are a nice set and all metal pieces.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is the bike I'm putting them on. I hope I have enough clearance between the rack.
    I really like the looks of the axiom rainrunners. It says not to use the chromoplastics on a suspension fork? Thanks for all the replies. I was going to take the bike to the LBS but want to do this myself.

mtbr member
    Since the rack has a central splash shield, you could cut a slot in the fender to accomodate the rack support and fasten either side of the cut in the fender to the rack either side of the rack support. Or use spacers if you don't want the fender quite that high at that point. Either will mean that rack support is closer to the tire than the centerline of the fender would be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm running 40mm marathon winters under my fenders, EDIT: checked, they are Planet Bikes!
    It's hard to tell if I'm getting overspray because I'm wearing waterproofs 100% of the time now. But I'd say the fender JUST covers the outside edge of the tire.
    Last edited by byknuts; 01-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Did I catch a niner?

Good job!

These are with the 38c Nashbar Comforts right now there is plenty of height/space between the fender and wheel especially on the front.

Watch for this on your frame, it does fit but it's tight and does not hamper FD shifting (friction).

I do have a set of Planet Bike's and they're nice, use them on a 26" commuter and I would say the build quality is the same between them and the SKS set. I would say though the quick release option on the SKS is a nice idea and I think the stays are stronger. With having disc brakes on this bike I can only fit the single metal stay option the Chromoplatics won't fit over the brake. I would also have liked more rear coverage from the fender instead of relying on the flap to stop most of the rear spray.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 01-16-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've used the Planet BIke fenders with 40c tires on 30mm rims. If you can space the fender off the tires it's fine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mr. Pink thanks for the pics thats a awesome bike. I ordered the axiom rainrunner treks they should be here this week. I've never installed a set of fenders so hopefully I can get it done. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well I got it done! I really like the fenders can't wait to get out and try them out. Thanks for all of your guys help. Sorry for the bad photo.

One Colorful Rider
    700x40 Tires with SKS Chromoplastic Fenders
    New Years Day

700x40 Studded Tires with SKS Chromoplastic Fenders
    December Snow at M&M

Frt Range, CO
    The PB 45mm will fit 38mm tires but it's tight. SKS makes 45mm and 50mm wide fenders, 45mm fit the same as the PBs, the 50mm should cover with clearence. My frames fits 50mm fende by the rear brake bridge, it's a little tight at the fork crown. PB and SKS fender stays are plenty long for any application, I always have to cut the excess off (I worry about the stays sticking me).

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    [QUOTE=moonedzx9]All of the planet bike hybrid fenders say for a 700 x 35. Will they fit? If anyone is running fenders with this size tire what fenders are you running? The tires are serfas vida 700x38. The LBS I go to had my dad drop from a 38 to a 35 to run fenders. The tires I have are brand new though. The lady a planet bike said I might have to order longer stays. She suggested the hybrid fender. I don't really want to buy fenders and have to send the stock stays back to swap them. Thanks for any help ![/QUOT

I have used larger than suggested tires on two different sets of Planet Bike fenders. The first bike had 700x40 fenders with 700x45 tires. The second bike (pictured) is my current commuter and, it has 700x35 fenders with 700x40 Nokian studded tires. My street tires for the second bike are 700x32. With both bikes the larger tires fit under the fenders. Much to my surprise the fenders on the GF did not need adjustment to clear the Nokians. Most tires aren't as big as they claim plus most fenders will clear a size larger than recommended without a problem. I hope this has helped.

Photobucket

Photobucket